• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Ridge Parkway Sept 2000

R

rocketman

Ok, here's another adventure from the road. In sept 2000 I spend 5 days crossing the Smolky Mountains, the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway from NC to VA and skyline Drive. No traffic for the most part since I rode it during the week and tourist season was over with all the kiddies back in school.

http://slash5.maniac.com/~slash5_rider/9days/ridepoem.html

Enjoy

RM

BRP ride

Dude, I believe you regained your poetry skills with that ride report. The BlueRidge Parkway is a marvelous ride when the tourists aren't clogging up the road. I have yet to ride the entire length but am hoping to complete the northern most part of it before to long. Thanx for sharing your story. Ironhorsecowboy

Re: BRP ride

IRONHORSECOWBOY said:
Dude, I believe you regained your poetry skills with that ride report. The BlueRidge Parkway is a marvelous ride when the tourists aren't clogging up the road. I have yet to ride the entire length but am hoping to complete the northern most part of it before to long. Thanx for sharing your story. Ironhorsecowboy

IronHorseCowboy You need to click on his homepage. He has sent me 2 links. Not only does he have a talent for poetry, he also writes for an article in VA called the VirginiaWind. You find yourself getting lost in his stories and his poetry. He has quite a talent not only a skill.

Hello,
A small group of us are planning a complete Blue Ridge Parkway on June 26 to ? North to South. Does any one have experience as to what is a reasonable expectation for miles per day? We have a free place to stay around mile 306, is that too far to try and make in one day? Any other advice? We are not trying to break any records or get any tickets, but don't plan long stops either.
Thanks,
MT

fiatvhs2 said:
Hello,
A small group of us are planning a complete Blue Ridge Parkway on June 26 to ? North to South. Does any one have experience as to what is a reasonable expectation for miles per day? We have a free place to stay around mile 306, is that too far to try and make in one day? Any other advice? We are not trying to break any records or get any tickets, but don't plan long stops either.
Thanks,
MT

I'd say take as much time as you can. 3 days is ideal, gives you plenty of time to stop along the way, and there is a lot to see. Lots of great falls within hiking distance of the parkway, mills, etc. Esp. in june there will be lots of traffic and the speed limit is 45. If you include the trip over the smoky mt. at the southern end add another 5 hours. Grandfather mountain is pretty cool, thou pricy to get in, but the switch back up to the top is tolally kool. 150 to 200 miles a day is pushing it, if you want to really enjoy it, and take in all the sceanary. Best time to ride it is early morning and late afternoon when the traffic dies down some.

RM

Back