• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Teutonic QSL 1000 mile seats

P

pwinick

Anybody know how these seats mount on a /6. I bought seats but not brackets. The front seat has a fitting on the underside that looks like it slides on to a piece of pipe, which must have mounted on the bike somehow. If anyonehas any experience with these seats or, even better, has pictures of the bracket or how they mount, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Paul

pwinick,

I don't have a clue, but I think you might reach a more knowledgable audience in the "airhead" forum rather than the "gear" forum.

pwinick 1000 mile seat

The pipe end of seat fits into the open oval end of bike frame, where the bmw cable lock normally slides up into. I think that's the answer. Barry

Paul,

As Barry noted, the front "pipe" fits into the frame backbone opening below the rear of the tank. Since this is the same frame piece on which the tool kit box rests, you won't be able to use this box when using the QSL seat.

The rear mount uses the same "Z" bracket as the front mount, but then has an L-bracket and curved piece intended to fit under the cross-frame member behind the battery. I reversed mine so the curved bracket fits on top of the frame; it's easier to remove the seat for working on the bike.

I know that there was a passenger seat, too, but I never got one. I modified a luggage rack and installed a trunk where the passenger would normally be.

A couple of hints:

A sheepskin cover makes a good seat even better.

If you're a larger guy, the seat may bottom (no pun intended) despite the robust springs. I inserted a tennis ball between the seat bottom and lower spring plate. BTW, this was about the same time as I installed air shocks. The shocks are long gone but the tennis ball is still there.;)

pwinick, I have a /6 also, and I'd be very interested to see what that seat looks like.
Where did you buy it? Is there a web site? A quick search didn't turn anything up.

Hogy

Hogy,

I got mine new in the mid-70's and I suspect the company no longer is in business. Google "Teutonic QSL" and you should find an ad for one on another BMW site - and that's it.

If you're at all familiar with old farm tractors, think of their metal seats that were shaped to fit your butt. The Solo Saddle used a similarly-shaped fiberglass form covered with foam and naugahyde. As the name implied, it was intended for one rider (not too many naugas were killed).:D

Chris, thanks for the reply. I need a new seat for my R90/6. I only ride solo. The cafe racer seats you see on ebay are cool, but won't look good on this bike. Are there any other solo seats you know of?

Hogy

reply to hoagie on teutonic seats

You can still get the solo seats for /6 from BMW. Your local BMW dealer should be able to get you one. They are listed as police seats. Zelph makes reprodutions of the same seat, at a cheaper price. Do a Zelph search to find who sells them. Good luck.

Back