• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'02 K1200LT abs brake failure warning light

shunte3

Recently purchased a '02 LT w/ 29K mi. Getting an alternating ( 1 sec flashing ) general warning light & ABS brake failure light when braking at anything more than light stopping. Can pull over, turn bike off, re-start bike and lights re-set until another med or hard braking situation. (lights will not come on under light braking) Tried using front brakes only under hard braking only once did lights start flashing. Tried using rear brake only, lights flashed immediately. Front brake reservoir is full, rear looks to be 1/2" below MAX line. Local dealer :dunno (185 mi away) service dept. stated to check rear pad thickness (measures 3.5 mm, book states min. is 1.5mm) that as pads wear more fluid needed to squeeze pads together. However, book states bike w/ Integral ABS, the brake fluid level in the reservoir does NOT drop as pads wear.......any advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
abs lights

This 02... how old is the battery?
I purchased a 95k1100RS this past July. The battery in it was new but it wasn't the proper size or amperage. I kind of knew I needed a new battery. Got one from digi-key in Minnesota. Sealed battery. Might be a 28 amp hour.
Anyways replaced the battery and the alternating warning lights have never appeared!
Also I helped a fellow named Steve from Rochester, MN. He had sent a note via this web site. He had purchased a new battery last spring when buying a K bike.

I had figured if the battery was new then it might be some other problem. However after a ride to a subway shop in Wabasha, MN the bike would not start.
Replaced the NEW battery with a lawn tractor type battery.

K bike fired right off! No ABS lights flashing. He was able to ride it home instead of trailering it back to Rochester.

Check the battery with a voltohmeter. If the voltage is under 12 volts... replace

tim lindstrom
columbia heights, mn

Recently purchased a '02 LT w/ 29K mi. Getting an alternating ( 1 sec flashing ) general warning light & ABS brake failure light when braking at anything more than light stopping. Can pull over, turn bike off, re-start bike and lights re-set until another med or hard braking situation. (lights will not come on under light braking) Tried using front brakes only under hard braking only once did lights start flashing. Tried using rear brake only, lights flashed immediately. Front brake reservoir is full, rear looks to be 1/2" below MAX line. Local dealer :dunno (185 mi away) service dept. stated to check rear pad thickness (measures 3.5 mm, book states min. is 1.5mm) that as pads wear more fluid needed to squeeze pads together. However, book states bike w/ Integral ABS, the brake fluid level in the reservoir does NOT drop as pads wear.......any advice?

Top up you brake fluid reservoir. This has been a common problem on K12RS'. Won't hurt to check out the battery condition too, if it's original it may be marginal.

I experienced a failure on my '04 RT relating to the battery. Cheap and easy fix if that's the problem. Something about the voltage dropping below 11.something if I remember correctly.

Resurecting an old thread, but a new problem to me

I have a 2004 K1200GT. On a recent cold weather ride I had both the dash Brake warning lights start to flash (at once). It seems to happen after I apply the brakes - they will remain flashing until I kill and restart the bike.

Facts and data -

The battery is original, but I keep it on a tender when not riding.

The Service Manager at the local BMW shop tells me that they really don't know what the problem is, but there seems to be no ABS at the rear wheel - the explanation from there ranging to needing to replace the ABS Computer to the ABS Pump - a $3000 exercise. (Sounds like 'swaptronics' to me - on my dime). :nono

The fluid has been changed according to the manual - but I ride it hard.

The bike seems to brake normally, but obviously I try not to lock up the brakes, so haven't tested the ABS functionalty.

Gentlemen - your thoughts and ideas?

Testing the rear ABS is very easy IF the '04 behaves as the 2000 does.... Just running down your street, apply full pressure to the rear brake only and see if it initiates the ABS. I do it occasionally to assure I have rear brakes, as the rear brakes sort of seem worthless anyway. My ABS system is a different animal than yours, but there are plenty of threads out there to search regarding ABS computers failing and/or ABS units failing and requiring replacement. Not common, but certainly not unheard of. Those threads might shed light on whether your dealer should be able to know what the problem is.....
Occasionally the older style units failed as mine did. I got a used unit at 1/4 the price of new ($1500) and had it installed by the dealer with a warranty rear seal replacement.
If your battery is the original.....wow. I have never had a stock BMW battery last more than two or three years. Even if you keep it on a smart charger, I would think it time to replace it.

04 KGT ,I agree with Bob Weiss ,top up the rear brake reservoir,even a small amount low will trigger the flashing red.Course,it could be the batt too!

04 KGT ,I agree with Bob Weiss ,top up the rear brake reservoir,even a small amount low will trigger the flashing red.Course,it could be the batt too!

One more vote to top up the rear master cylinder reservoir. There is a sensor built into the cap that triggers an "ABS" failure light pattern if the fluid is low. If it's down as much as you say I will bet your rear pads are seriously worn. On my '03 K1200RS the rears wear at more than twice the rate as the fronts, and that is using the front brake lever almost exclusively, but for parking lot speeds (this is also with the integral "whizzy" brake system which I believe you have).

If the pads are that worn, I would replace them first rather than top up the reservoir and then have to sop up the excess fluid pushed back into the MC when you do replace the rear pads.

Yes, and as others have said, it could also be a battery. If the battery can't keep something like 11.5 or 11.8 volts while starting, the ABS system will fault.

Hope this helps.

Interesting -

I'll check the rear pads and have ordered a new battery. Years of working with computer systems have taught me to check the easy stuff first.:scratch

Thanks Folks! I'll keep you all posted.

I have a 2004 K1200GT. On a recent cold weather ride I had both the dash Brake warning lights start to flash (at once). It seems to happen after I apply the brakes - they will remain flashing until I kill and restart the bike.

Facts and data -

The battery is original, but I keep it on a tender when not riding.

The Service Manager at the local BMW shop tells me that they really don't know what the problem is, but there seems to be no ABS at the rear wheel - the explanation from there ranging to needing to replace the ABS Computer to the ABS Pump - a $3000 exercise. (Sounds like 'swaptronics' to me - on my dime). :nono

The fluid has been changed according to the manual - but I ride it hard.

The bike seems to brake normally, but obviously I try not to lock up the brakes, so haven't tested the ABS functionalty.

I know what is wrong,ABS pump went bad but swapping new one will not fix the entire issue.I found the rear brake lever will not retract all way up and micro switch was running the pump more then needed what caused the pump to overheat and fail.
This explain why the fluid was so dark.
Here is what the patient looks like today.

2012-03-09103459.jpg

Beemer , I be test riding the bike on Friday.To bad I don't have the rear rotor yet.:banghead

Full flush completed,engine oil done,tires done,still waiting on rotor.

Thoughts? You need to practice your stops at a level that initiates ABS so that you know the feel of ABS engagement; this is a critical element in your skills practice. that, and attempting to brake just short of ABS invovement. If you've never activated the ABS, you're not pushing your braking skills hard enough.

As to the ABS issue- i'm betting that the pads are worn, thus fluid level is low, and that is what is trigger ing the ABS faulting. a low battery typically shows as ABS faulting at startup, but not reoccurring during brake use once the bike is running. in fact, the ABS lights typically "fix" themselves after just a bit of riding, unless the battery is really toast (but that would show up in weak start-ups).

replacing a 10yo battery is a good plan, regardless.

Thoughts? You need to practice your stops at a level that initiates ABS so that you know the feel of ABS engagement; this is a critical element in your skills practice. that, and attempting to brake just short of ABS invovement. If you've never activated the ABS, you're not pushing your braking skills hard enough.

As to the ABS issue- i'm betting that the pads are worn, thus fluid level is low, and that is what is trigger ing the ABS faulting. a low battery typically shows as ABS faulting at startup, but not reoccurring during brake use once the bike is running. in fact, the ABS lights typically "fix" themselves after just a bit of riding, unless the battery is really toast (but that would show up in weak start-ups).

replacing a 10yo battery is a good plan, regardless.

Problem solved(see post #12),this is a Beemer01 bike in my garage,ABS pump did fail in his bike.

Back