Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: EWS Failure and Towing Nightmare (Merged multiple EWS threads)

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huddyk View Post
    What is the part number?
    61 35 7 696 463
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

mikeperez
    Quote Originally Posted by kr70657 View Post
    Do you just clip the battery tender on the battery terminals? I'm curious, as that is what my salesman told me to do. I was ready to buy the $160 charger that connects to a powerlet (I think) when I picked up the bike. He asked if I had a battery tender, I said yes, he said don't bother with the BMW charger, just lift the seat and connect the battery tender. Makes sense to me. Then I'm diligently reading my owners manual where it says, on page 130, "Charging the connected battery directly at the battery terminals can damage the motorcycle electronics." Hmmm. Anyone else having EWS issues use a charger connected to the battery?
    The way it was explained to me, was the the ONLY charger to use is the BMW one, it is made to handle the electronic system in the BIKE, for the reasons on Page 130. I had an 2 year old HD tender, and I plugged in, WRONG thing to do, it did a great job on the battery, but trashed the "antenna ring sensor" which caused the EWS to fail.

Mine was under warranty, but it would have been a $200 fix. Suppose to not happen again with the new part, but ???

I have had it repaired already, seems to be working fine. I had the battery checked under a load as well, and she was not damaged. I say stick with the rules of the manual.

One thing I do recommend, is to ask multiple dealers about this if it happens to you. I called 4 shops, and got different answers from each, and only two of them were in the same ball park, the other two, you could tell, were part exchangers, and did not really know how to answer question. I think this is a good Mechanic test question.... if your trying to decide where to take your bike for service.

Good Luck
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez1 View Post
    The way it was explained to me, was the the ONLY charger to use is the BMW one, it is made to handle the electronic system in the BIKE, for the reasons on Page 130. I had an 2 year old HD tender, and I plugged in, WRONG thing to do, it did a great job on the battery, but trashed the "antenna ring sensor" which caused the EWS to fail.

Mine was under warranty, but it would have been a $200 fix. Suppose to not happen again with the new part, but ???

I have had it repaired already, seems to be working fine. I had the battery checked under a load as well, and she was not damaged. I say stick with the rules of the manual.

One thing I do recommend, is to ask multiple dealers about this if it happens to you. I called 4 shops, and got different answers from each, and only two of them were in the same ball park, the other two, you could tell, were part exchangers, and did not really know how to answer question. I think this is a good Mechanic test question.... if your trying to decide where to take your bike for service.

Good Luck
    mike
    I doubt very much that you hurt the EWS ring. I am guessing that the HD tender was a smart charger like the Deltran ones and would work just fine. The EWS rings have been subject to failing in a wholesale way during most of this year. Bad batch or something. They were on backorder for a month.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

mikeperez

thanks,

Thanks for the input, cjack.

I think your right...

mike

I started to get EWS errors at about 6,000 miles on my '07 RT. Fortunately, the bike did start each time by turning the key off and back on (never removed the key from the ignition nor did more than a couple seconds pass before turning it off and on).

The dealer confirmed the bike had 8 EWS failure codes in memory and replaced the antennae ring. They said they keep spare rings in stock as they've seen this problem "frequently of late".

Capt. Grudo

BMW roadside assistance

A while back in 2007 I went down (with my bike and my wife) somewhere in New Mexico. I was riding my 2005 R1200RT. It was a minor crash and we were OK. However, I lost my ABS and power brakes. I called BMW roadside assistance. They claimed that I, and my bike, do not exist. I called again with the VIN number and even went to the bike and read it from the bike - no go, I did not exist.

When I called few days later to complain, the good folks at BMW roadside assistance could not recall the incident. Not only I do not exist, I never even called.

WOW.

Capt. Grudo

Quote Originally Posted by dorongrudo View Post
    A while back in 2007 I went down (with my bike and my wife) somewhere in New Mexico. I was riding my 2005 R1200RT. It was a minor crash and we were OK. However, I lost my ABS and power brakes. I called BMW roadside assistance. They claimed that I, and my bike, do not exist. I called again with the VIN number and even went to the bike and read it from the bike - no go, I did not exist.

When I called few days later to complain, the good folks at BMW roadside assistance could not recall the incident. Not only I do not exist, I never even called.

WOW.

Capt. Grudo
    Off topic I know, but there seem to be people in this world who believe that when they screw up the appropriate resonse, rather that to accept responsibility for the screw up, is to lie. You seem to have found one or two of those. Sad.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

How big of a piece is the "antenna ring?" How well do you have to protect it if carried as a spare? How much disassembly is required to do the change out on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by swall View Post
    How big of a piece is the "antenna ring?" How well do you have to protect it if carried as a spare? How much disassembly is required to do the change out on the road?
    It, the box for it, is about 25% bigger than a boxed H4 headlight bulb. You can't replace it on the road because you would have to drill "one way" screws out of the upper triple clamp (after removing it from the bike's forks) to remove it. But you can unplug it and plug the new one in right next to the bad one and drive on.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

I would think a more appropriate topic would be, "how do I disable EWS so it no longer poses a threat to the functioning of my bike." Don't get me started on CANBUS. Me, and the Internet mobs.
    Jack Pate | '09G650GS | '95 R100RT | Previously: '00R1100R, '87K75T
    NW Arkansawyer |
    BMWMOA #125430 | Fraternal Order of the Mudshark (FOM #0001)

Quote Originally Posted by Troutluck View Post
    I would think a more appropriate topic would be, "how do I disable EWS so it no longer poses a threat to the functioning of my bike." Don't get me started on CANBUS. Me, and the Internet mobs.
    Hoping not to get you started..

That topic would be fruitless to persue. EWS is a function of the FZE module in the bike - it can't be "turned off" or disabled. It's there and will stay there. If EWS presents that big a threat to your happiness with a Hexhead, then perhaps a modern BMW isn't the bike for you. You might let BMW know that - loosing customers might have some effect on their future plans - or not.

As far as CANBUS - I like it. It greatly simplfies the wiring harness of the new bikes and by doing so should increase reliability. I've had to replace two wiring harnesses so far on BMWs due to failure caused by the complexity and density of the wiring. CANBUS eliminates that - and fuses - another common failure point. I like that - and it was a point in the bikes favor for me when I bought it.

Dunno about "Me, and the Internet mobs" - I've never run into either.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

EWS and DWA Codes on start-up screen

I'm getting worried about all this EWS talk. Disconnected the battery on my '05 R1200GS (with a little over 56k miles), hooked up the CNTEC charger, and all was well. When I reconnected the battery, "EWS" showed up on the lower right-hand corner of the start-up screen, then a "DWA" with a picture resembling a flashlight battery half-charged. The bike starts and runs okay, and all codes disappear after starting. I disabled the remote control according to the book after changing the battery in the remote unit, and now the start-up shows EWS and DWA along with what appears to be a flashlight battery fully charged. My nearest dealer is 200 miles away, and I had planned on leaving for Mexico next weekend, so am more than mildly concerned. Any suggestions or guidance? Thanks.

'05 R1200GS
    '80 R65
    Some other stuff lying around the garage

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Hoping not to get you started..

That topic would be fruitless to persue. EWS is a function of the FZE module in the bike - it can't be "turned off" or disabled. It's there and will stay there. If EWS presents that big a threat to your happiness with a Hexhead, then perhaps a modern BMW isn't the bike for you. You might let BMW know that - loosing customers might have some effect on their future plans - or not.

As far as CANBUS - I like it. It greatly simplfies the wiring harness of the new bikes and by doing so should increase reliability. I've had to replace two wiring harnesses so far on BMWs due to failure caused by the complexity and density of the wiring. CANBUS eliminates that - and fuses - another common failure point. I like that - and it was a point in the bikes favor for me when I bought it.

Dunno about "Me, and the Internet mobs" - I've never run into either.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by tripens View Post
    I'm getting worried about all this EWS talk. Disconnected the battery on my '05 R1200GS (with a little over 56k miles), hooked up the CNTEC charger, and all was well. When I reconnected the battery, "EWS" showed up on the lower right-hand corner of the start-up screen, then a "DWA" with a picture resembling a flashlight battery half-charged. The bike starts and runs okay, and all codes disappear after starting. I disabled the remote control according to the book after changing the battery in the remote unit, and now the start-up shows EWS and DWA along with what appears to be a flashlight battery fully charged. My nearest dealer is 200 miles away, and I had planned on leaving for Mexico next weekend, so am more than mildly concerned. Any suggestions or guidance? Thanks.

'05 R1200GS
    '80 R65
    Some other stuff lying around the garage
    Those symbols appearing are just checks. If they go away, then the check is good and no issues.
    Also, I personally don't recall any of the '05 bikes having an EWS antenna issue. Seemed to be mostly starting with '07 for awhile.
    R1200GS LC Rallye

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Those symbols appearing are just checks. If they go away, then the check is good and no issues.
    Also, I personally don't recall any of the '05 bikes having an EWS antenna issue. Seemed to be mostly starting with '07 for awhile.
    Thanks, Chuck; appreciate the quick response. I was hoping that was all that was happening, but it just seemed strange that those things have not shown up before. Guess I'll find out how good BMW of Mexico City is, if a problem arises, eh?
    Pete