• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I know we're into Beemers, but.......

rich

I see that a lot of you have second bikes, and after pawning off the Low Rider I had, I was in the market for something different. I purchased a Yamaha FZ6 the other day, and next to my BMW, I have never ridden anything more thrilling. This thing is a beauty, very plain and oh so fun to ride. I imagine it is much like an RS, and you aren't bent over like your typical crotch rocket style of bike. I had it out today and put 100 miles on it, and it is only 40 degrees. I really missed the electrics and heated grips, that is for sure. Five years ago if someone had suggested buying a bike like this to ride, I would have laughed at them. And now I own one... Go figure. Anyway, I was just wondering how anyone else who has this type of bike likes it, and just how do you decide which one you are going to ride? I know that I will definitely prefer the BMW, but this thing will be my pick for those short warm afternoon jaunts in the area. My biggest thought is that I am going to get my wife riding this thing, she is starting to think she is ready. That did help get the bike bought! I have a 17 year old son who is also going to be riding with me this summer, and of course he was a pretty good influence in the decision too. I'm not sure I will be comfortable letting him out of my sight with this thing......

Neat bike. I've been a closet Honda guy from way back.

You can add heated grips to that bike pretty easily. Look for a set of Kimpex heated grips at your local snowmachine store. They install under the stock grips and make your hands nice and warm. I've been running them on my VFR for about 5 years now. I also modified a /5 accessory outlet so I can plug my jacket in on the VFR too. It's just a mounting bracket, which I bolted to the footpeg mount and a couple wires that get hooked up to the battery. I can use my BMW charger on the Honda. You might also want to check the folks at www.powerlet.com for power outlet options.

Again, neat bike and congratulations!

My interests have changed some since I made my first post to this thread, so I thought I would come back and edit it.

The sport-touring bent of the K11LT is a big part of the draw for me. Comfy on the big slab, and fun in the curves ...

Knowing I am mortal, and thereby better off staying away from crotch rockets -- the closest I would go to that style is an R1150RT. IMO, a bit sportier than the K11, but not so crotchy that I would experience a sudden outburst of testestrone.

If shopping for a dual sport ride, I would lean towards an F-650.

Finally, if I were to get full blown touring bike, it would be another Wing.

Last edited:
I've never owned a Honda but always liked them. Loved the shaft drive Nighthawk S! If I could spring for a few bikes I would add a Gold Wing or ST1300. Also, the Super Hawk looks like a great little sporty bike. Almost unchanged for years and still carborated. A lot of bike for about $8,000!

MarkF

FZ6

I've been looking hard at the FZ6 also! I've been a Yamaha fan for many years but, the insuance worries me! I just renewed my insurance with Dairyland for both bikes, full coverage at $367.20.
The rate went down from last year about $50:dunno . If I were to buy a 600-700cc chain bike, it would cost twice that amount for the one bike for a year. The local Yamaha dealer doesn't have a FZ6 right now. (maybe thats a good thing). I wanted to call in a vin # to the insurance company for a rate. With the gas prices so high, I think I'll hang on to a couple 85hp shafties for awhile. I love em both!!:)

My other ride is a 26' Envision powerboat. 24 degree deadrise, thru hull exhausts, stand-up bolster seats, full cuddy cabin, and red, white, and blue graphics. And oh yes, plenty of HP.

Riding Like the Wind (except when breaking waves at full trim)...

CHASMAN

p.s. Uses a lot more fuel then the '02 K12RS 8>)

Here's my FZ6

I tried to attach this yesterday but was having problems. My insurance in ND is $228 a year, it sounds like that is quite a bit cheaper than what you mentioned, Shag. With a company called Nodak Mutual. Not a bad rate for this bike, but my BMW is the same rate. I bought this bike for $6400 with the first service free, I thought that was pretty fair.

Attachments

• 04 fz6.jpg
    04 fz6.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 588
KBasa said:
I've been a closet Honda guy from way back.

There are a lot worse things coming out of the closet these days. We can still respect you, Dave. ;)

Oh, and thanks for the advice on how to get some heat on this thing, I will check it out. Once you use electrics, it is hard to go without.

Rich said:
Anyway, I was just wondering how anyone else who has this type of bike likes it, and just how do you decide which one you are going to ride?

Beemers are but one type of bike, there are many others to enjoy. In the garage next to my 1100R is a Kawasaki 750 that is much the same type of bike as your FZ6 -- a half-faired 4-cylinder with more upright position than an all-out sport bike, but still a blast to ride.

ZR-7S_IMG_1022.jpg

Like your FZ6, it's also a very versatile bike -- it's been a daily commuter, a canyon chaser on weekends, I've toured on it (note the Krauser wing racks for the Krauser K41 cases I have for it). It's not quite as cushy-comfy as the 1100R, but it's close, and in addition to being faster it does have one other thing the Beemer doesn't have -- the wonderful screaming wail of a 4-cylinder at 10,000 rpm. Yeeeee--HAAAAAA! There's absolutely nothing like a screamin' 4-cylinder at full song. I get myself in trouble on that bike just because I want to hear it sing. The Boxer, in comparison, sounds blah and flat, a fine engine but no music. The Kawi also has stronger brakes than the 1100R -- too bad it doesn't have ABS.

4-cylinder 600s are great bikes too. I used to have a 600 Yamaha that was a lot of fun, and more recently I've looked at both the FZ6 and the Honda 599. But I can't think of an excuse to get one, and I do love the torque of the 750. Aaah, so many bikes, so little children's grocery money to spend on them... :D

Originally quoted by Rich : I know we're into Beemers, but......

Originally posted by DesertRider : Beemers are but one type of bike, there are many others to enjoy.

Originally posted by Blue Knight : 1993 Bimota Tesi... Excuse me while I go take a cold shower...]:wow

Originally posted by MarkF : I've never owned a Honda but always liked them.

Originally posted by RickM : If I were to get another touring bike, it would be another Wing.

Originally posted by KBasa : Neat bike. I've been a closet Honda guy from way back.

Well, a top-notch, well-maintained, comfortable clunky old 1973 Moto-Guzzi 850cc 'Eldorado' would do me just fine in my declining years, thanks! :D

Last edited:
This must be the post that makes MarkF lose his mind. He's got a bad thing for Guzzis.

I would love to have as a second bike, a Vstrom in the 650cc flavor. It would be a hoot to ride I am sure.

Attachments

• 091503top.jpeg
    091503top.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 492
Honda ST1300

TO: MarkF:

Just saw a brand new ST1300 w/ABS braking system in a
dealer's showroom tonight. Dark blue - georgeous! Because
of ABS, price was $14,500 and dealer was in no mood to talk
about discounts! Sure was sharp-lookin', though.....:stick :banghead :rocker

Someone else on this (?) forum went on record to the effect
that they "run hot," meaning that the faired-in engine generates
a lot of heat, and that the fairing does a good job of capturing
that heat and making the rider's life miserable with it during hot
weather and slow speeds. I've never ridden one, so I can
neither confirm nor deny. :)

Last edited:
KBasa said:
After 5 years, I'm still nuts

Yup.

Actually to be fair, my brother did a very slow 4 corners on a VFR, and my wife blames him for my desire to ride across the country.

Re: Honda ST1300

fang said:
TO: MarkF:

Just saw a brand new ST1300 w/ABS braking system in a
dealer's showroom tonight. Dark blue - georgeous! Because
of ABS, price was $14,500 and dealer was in no mood to talk
about discounts! Sure was sharp-lookin', though.....:stick :banghead :rocker

Someone else on this (?) forum went on record to the effect
that they "run hot," meaning that the faired-in engine generates
a lot of heat, and that the fairing does a good job of capturing
that heat and making the rider's life miserable with it during hot
weather and slow speeds. I've never ridden one, so I can
neither confirm nor deny. :)

Nice color! I spoke with a guy last summer who just rode cross country on one. He said the engine heat was not a problem. I'm guessing it only gets bad in slow traffic or very hot weather.

As for Guzzis - I was in the NYC Hard Rock Cafe last Saturday and they have a beautiful Guzzi Eldorado that Billy Joel DONATED. Now that is a crime. Donate a beautiful bike like that to a profitable business. How about a non-profit museum or better yet a guy like myself that will baby it and RIDE IT!

Bikes are meant to be ridden.

MarkF

Aprillia zoomie

TO: YB in IN: Naw, bro, yew don't wanna keep that thing! Yew
may as well send it on over to me, 'cause yew know yer only
gonna hurt yourself wif'it. SPLAT! Tinkle tinkle tinkle.....YOWLLL!
Can yew say "They're gonna blot me up wif' a sponge!"?
Can yew say "It only hurts when I breathe!"?

Aprillia - BAD! Slow-assed R1200CLC - GOOD!

Die young - BAD! Long life - GOOD!

Trust me, I know about these things! Sigh........ Cringe........

Back