• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Geezer Free Zone

I don't like the idea. We are supposed to be a "family" that has a love for the BMW motorcycle, now we seem to have people wanting to fragment things all to pieces.

We already have segregated, women only MC classes. Now are we to segregate other activities by age as well. Activities at the rally should be inclusive so as to bring us together, not exclusive eliminating one group or another from attending.

This isn't a resort with "something for everyone" It is a BMW rally, where I believe that the focus should be on the enjoyment of BMW Motorcycles and their care and feeding.

The rally runs only a few days, lets get to know each other as best we can, not be isolated into splinter groups that pass in the night

A Miles said:
I don't like the idea. We are supposed to be a "family" that has a love for the BMW motorcycle, now we seem to have people wanting to fragment things all to pieces.

We already have segregated, women only MC classes. Now are we to segregate other activities by age as well. Activities at the rally should be inclusive so as to bring us together, not exclusive eliminating one group or another from attending.

This isn't a resort with "something for everyone" It is a BMW rally, where I believe that the focus should be on the enjoyment of BMW Motorcycles and their care and feeding.

The rally runs only a few days, lets get to know each other as best we can, not be isolated into splinter groups that pass in the night

I agree that the rally activities should be inclusive, however speaking as a yong 23 year old rider, I can tell you that it would be nice to find out who some of the younger people are in the 'MOA. Don't get me wrong, I have loads and loads of fun hanging out with everyone at the rally, but it's nice to have some people your own age, who are at the same place in their life as you are to relate to. Think of the seminar/class as another way for people to meet, not as something that is trying to seperate people. It can serve as a way for the 'MOA to get a feel for what it is that the younger riders in the club want to see, and get us a bit more interested in the club as well. Not to sound all ominous or whatever, but we are going to be the ones running the show in 20 30 years, it may be good if we know each other and have some idea as to what's going on. :)

I agree with Garth after going last year, I felt a little like a fish out of water. After last year's rally one of the things that became apparent was that the National is not a good idea to be the first rally.

I look at this thread as a way to make the National a good idea for the attendees first rally. The idea to make it more inclusive.

-=Brad

YB in IN said:
I agree that the rally activities should be inclusive, however speaking as a yong 23 year old rider, I can tell you that it would be nice to find out who some of the younger people are in the 'MOA. Don't get me wrong, I have loads and loads of fun hanging out with everyone at the rally, but it's nice to have some people your own age, who are at the same place in their life as you are to relate to. Think of the seminar/class as another way for people to meet, not as something that is trying to seperate people. It can serve as a way for the 'MOA to get a feel for what it is that the younger riders in the club want to see, and get us a bit more interested in the club as well. Not to sound all ominous or whatever, but we are going to be the ones running the show in 20 30 years, it may be good if we know each other and have some idea as to what's going on. :)

Yeah, but look at all the new friends you've made since last year, Brad.

After all, don't you really want to know what jgr's real name is? Is Boxergrrlie really as nice as she seems? Does Donky Doc really look like a Donkey? Does Rob really carry 5 pounds of Ritalin around with him?

All these questions and more will get answered when we finally get the first Forum Gathering going this year at the national.

KBasa said:

After all, don't you really want to know what jgr's real name is? Is Boxergrrlie really as nice as she seems? Does Donky Doc really look like a Donkey? Does Rob really carry 5 pounds of Ritalin around with him?

All these questions and more will get answered when we finally get the first Forum Gathering going this year at the national.

In

:thumb

BradfordBenn said:
I agree with Garth after going last year, I felt a little like a fish out of water. After last year's rally one of the things that became apparent was that the National is not a good idea to be the first rally.

I look at this thread as a way to make the National a good idea for the attendees first rally. The idea to make it more inclusive.

-=Brad

As a reluctant geezer, I completely agree. Besides, I get tired of geezers, too. The idea should be to expand the rally to make it a blast for all ages. And you younger guys have to be a growing voice of what appeals to you. Us geezers forget what we were about when we were your age.

Good things come to those with a plan, some leadership, and a budget. My sense of the MOA is that a reasonable budget is very likely, if you have the first two. As to seminars that are attractive to Twenties, Suzanna Parkhouse has always been totally accomodating in providing space and time for new ideas. Again, a plan and leadership is required. The budget is already there.

There is a growing cadret of ungeezerish types here. Anybody want to step up to the plate on some of the seminar topics above, or know somebody just right that they can get to do one or more of them? Who wants to pitch a semi-reserved camping area for Twenties to Jackie Hughes, while she still has time to accomodate?

Let's see if this bonfire can make anything more than just smoke!

Jim :yow

I sure hope that the rally can be an excellent experience for everyone. Perhaps some sort of "meet and greet" nametag wearing party would be a good thing. Many of us feel a bit daunted in a big crowd regardless of age. If this is held early in the event many of us will be bursting with new stories of the trip there as well as our registration experience. This might be a chance for the authorities to make last minute anouncements as well.

If those attending want to form into smaller groups of mutual interest, all the better (it happens anyway). Getting to know one another & exchanging interests and knowledge are enjoyable and useful pastimes.

I wonder if in some way we might find a way to advertise a bit about ourselves as a way to break some ice. Name, date of membership & number, Hometown, bike(s) and related interests. Age & sex can be determined pretty well without any help needed.

Perhaps a sort of "credential badge" type of thing using the MOA ID card for a start with a second pocket below, to hold the rally registration slip. A checklist of interests, or the attachment of stickers would permit the attendee to reveal as much (or little) about themselves as they wish. At the same time soliciting kindred spirits and others to confir with. People that I have seen at conventions seem to love decorating their badges with state flags, company logos etc. MOA members would have no shortage of pins to put on such a display.

The BMW marque has over time been the machine largely for the older rider. Cost, and the understated nature of the machine are part of this. Perhaps the younger rider on a BMW is the counterpoint to Grandpa on a noisy HD machine.

Let's not try to include certain persons by excluding others.

KBasa said:

Agreed definitely attending. I am looking forward to doing a hot lap of the fairgrounds on KBasa's GS :p

Like I said, the idea is to be inclusive and pretty much just have conversation starters. So when the forum gathering takes place I will be there, probably with ears on.:bliss :clap

On a related note....

We are talking about having a "forum party" in the beer garden.

Until we come up with a real seminar with a name and description that would cover all the excellent points raised in this thread I think that with some creative planning and preparation we could cover alot of bases at an informal gathering in the beer garden.

Come to think of it perhaps we should have our forum party listed in the seminar schedule. . I would suggest that it is scheduled to start an hour or so before the band. What do you all think?

How would we describe it?

Best,

IN!

The name description:

What KBasa put up a couple of posts ago, plus... see if those are Brad's real ears or not.

Rob Nye said:
On a related note....

We are talking about having a "forum party" in the beer garden.

Until we come up with a real seminar with a name and description that would cover all the excellent points raised in this thread I think that with some creative planning and preparation we could cover alot of bases at an informal gathering in the beer garden.

Come to think of it perhaps we should have our forum party listed in the seminar schedule. . I would suggest that it is scheduled to start an hour or so before the band. What do you all think?

How would we describe it?

Best,

Let us not forget that "geezerdom" is more a state of mind, and not necessarily an age. I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up. As far as meeting at the beer garden, I'll probably be there, tending the beer, I mean bar.

manic mechanic said:
Let us not forget that "geezerdom" is more a state of mind, and not necessarily an age.
I keep trying to remember that, but I forget where I put it.
-Jim :snore

What a great discussion.

I'm remembering the first rally Paul and I went to. We felt less than welcomed because it seemed everyone already knew everyone else and didn't have time for us. Not unfriendly, but just preoccupied.

Somehow, we became separated and each of us as single people were seen as someone to include and were immediately adopted by wonderful people. And we/ve been hooked on Beemer Riders and Rallies ever since.

As long as we were "together" no one saw the need to go out of their way to include us.

So many good ideas here about how to break down that initial where do I belong feeling. I'd be glad to volunteer as a Big Sister ; )

Voni
sMiling
:wow :wow

Ok here is something to consider.

First, let's ditch the Geezer Free Zone as a title.

What I suggest is that we have a gathering in the beer garden Thursday afternoon / evening before the music starts. We could have a forum banner made for a focal point for people to get introduced.

We could have this listed in the program as "The New New Thing". For a description (help me fine tune this pls) something along the lines of:

The users of the BMW MOA Forum invite you to come meet n greet the people behind the keyboards. The forum is the happening place for member-to-member communication and is the best place for finding answers to your questions about any topic related to our favorite ride, the MOA and motorcycling in general. If you are a new rider, new member or just enjoying some new experiences come join our forum users at happy hour under the beer garden and share your experiences in real time.

I like Thursday evening because it is early on in the rally that people who meet will have plenty of chances to hook up later in the rally.

What do you all think? Where's K Basa on this?

Best,

Out riding, the sun is still shining here.

and before you ask, I am working on a project for school.

Rob Nye said:
What do you all think? Where's K Basa on this?

In. Let's make this an event that's listed in the rally program. Can you round up the sign committee to make us a sign, Mr. Secretary?

Oh yes. Bring your digital camera kids. There's gonna be a shootout in the Beer Garden!

In!

I want Voni to be my Big Sister;)

Any volunteers for Big Brother? Bail Bondsmen? Cigar Steward? Wine Sommelier?

Last edited:
Things to pack

smallmartini.jpg

and

thumbmartini.jpg

How much alcohol can I legally take across state lines?:dunno

As much as you can carry.

When I left Kentucky, I had three bottles of bourbon (WL Weller 19 yo Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Maker's Mark) and a flask (Woodford Reserve).

I still have most of it.

Back