• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/24/07 Thanksgiving Special

Gratitude

The City of Cincinnati shows their "gratitude" for those who answered their countries call during the Vietnam era.

DSC01202.jpg

At first, I thought the bottle of wine was litter and was going to move it, but realized someone had left this full bottle as a tribute to show their gratitude. There was also a military service ribbon.

I need to work on the long distance rider's skill of reading comprehension. Just saw the key word "gratitude," and didn't read the fine print that ask that we try our hand at a portrait.

John F
Cincinnati, OH

I need to work on the long distance rider's skill of reading comprehension. Just saw the key word "gratitude," and didn't read the fine print that ask that we try our hand at a portrait.

John F
Cincinnati, OH
I don't know if you would lose points at the table for this one or not, my friend. 'Portrait' is subjective and you could make a case for it. In the end it's at the rallymaster's discretion though..... :)

I don't know if you would lose points at the table for this one or not, my friend. 'Portrait' is subjective and you could make a case for it. In the end it's at the rallymaster's discretion though..... :)

You were invited to try your hand at a portrait, but by no means was one required. Your shot fits the theme well. I'm wondering about the wine bottle. . . . More about that on Wednesday.

Nice shot.

Radiance

The woman with the lovely smile is my wife, Israel. I'm grateful for her smile--it radiates warmth and light, and I can never get enough of it.

I shot about 50 of these today. This was shot #2 and most of the rest were fraught with all manner of technical difficulties. I find that when I shoot a series of pictures, often the first one is the best. Lesson in that, I suppose. . . .

This was shot with an 85mm f/1.8, considered by many to be an ideal portrait lens. On my camera the equivalent focal length is 135mm which is a bit long, but still in the range. I shot this at f/1.8, so the DoF is extremely shallow; almost everything besides her mouth, nose, and eyes is, to some degree, out of focus. I knew the background would be blurry beyond recognition, but I didn't know it would be so dark. It works well for this, I think.

Unlike yesterday, which was bright and sunny (as noted in this ride report), today was gloomy and overcast. This is perfect weather for shooting portraits, as the light is so diffuse and even. Click for the EXIF: ISO 100, 1/1600th sec. @ 1.8.

Last edited:
This is a wonderful portrait, Tom. I have similar results with ÔÇ£first shotsÔÇØ; they tend to be the most inspired.

Not to disregard the technical ability of the photographer, but I find it easy to take great portraits of great people.

Back