• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Running rough...sometimes.

tony31138

Maybe someone can help me figure this one out.
Rode my '04 1150RT 70 miles to work yesterday, ran fine. On the way home, 5 minutes from work, the bike stalled as I was decelerating in gear (20mph?). pulled over, tried starting it, it started after turning over a few times as if it were flooded. Ran a little rough at first, then fine after that for another few minutes, then it happened again. Got it started again and was able to keep it running when the roughness would start by giving it some throttle. 15 minutes or so of nursing it along and it cleared up. Made it home with no more trouble.
The only thing to add is that I gassed up while at work (5.3 gallons) and did over fill it some into the filler neck, enough that it drained some out the overflow drain line while parked using the side stand.
I thought it might be bad gas, but then why did it clear up? Same for clogged filter, jet or any other fuel/air passage.
Might something electrical be thinking about quitting on me?

ANY thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Tony S.

04' R1150RT Commuter

I'm certainly no expert but it sure sounds like a fuel problem, not electrical. When was the last time the filter was changed? My GS had the same symtoms, except for the clearing up part, & it was a bad filter.

I suspect that you got some bad fuel - probably with a bit of water. The symptoms sound just like a fuel injected bike with some water droplets in the fuel.

I would add a little IsoHeet in the red bottle. I think it will clear it up.

I think I'll try both the fuel filter and the Iso Heet. I bought the bike used and I don't know for sure if the fuel filter had been changed before I took custody of the bike. It hasn't been changed since, I know that much.
Thanks to both of you fine gentlemen for the insight and expert opinions. I'll keep you posted.
I will say, I took her out for a spin around the block today without so much as a hicup.
Thanks again, and a Happy Thanksgiving to you.

My 04 RT has done the same thing to me twice, both times I had over filled the fuel tank trying to get that last drop in so I wouldn't have to stop for a while. I don't know the exact cause, but over filling is a no no on my RT.

My 04 RT has done the same thing to me twice, both times I had over filled the fuel tank trying to get that last drop in so I wouldn't have to stop for a while. I don't know the exact cause, but over filling is a no no on my RT.

Which reminds me!! I had been keying on the symptoms and not the fact of overfilling. When the tank is overfilled it can discharge (vent) raw fuel into the charcoal canister. When liquid fuel (instead of fumes) is absorbed by the charcoal all sorts of evil things can happen. A fuel/charcoal slurry can be sucked back into the throttle bodies, the charcoal canister can clog limiting tank venting, etc.

If you pull the little air hoses attached to the bottoms of the throttle bodies you may be able to detect a black goopy mess - if so you have a soaked canister problem.

Not that I'm in any position to "thumbs up or down" Mr. Glaves because he is much more moto-literate that I but his reasoning makes perfect sense. If the canister has limited venting because of soaked charcoal that would explain the engine quitting.

Attempting to open the fuel cap and hearing a "slurp" would indicate the tank is under a vacuum.

If you're not environmentally conscious to a canister-ectomy and get rid of it entirely.

I have experienced the same problem on my 2002 1150GS. Fill up and move the bike less than a block and park it for the day. There has been evidence of fuel leaking from the overflow hose especially on a warm day. Then the result has been difficulty starting and extremely poor performance for about 10 - 15 minutes of riding time. I thought also that I had a problem with bad gas. The problem has been solved by not filling up and then immediately parking for the day. BTW, my GS still has the canister.

:scratch So for me it is simple (after 3 occurances), I don't fill up and immediately park the bike. Hasn't happened since. Sounds to me like you are experiencing the same situation.

What Paul said. On a trip to Canada on my 04 GS, I experienced the same symptoms and thought - bad gas. Bought and poured in the usual stuff. No change. Happened the 3 times I overfilled the tank - which I usually don't do. Anyway, checked the line to the charcoal canister, it had developed a dip as it ran rearward and when I pulled it, dribble of fuel. I was pulling fuel not fumes into the canister. I have since performed a canisterectomy and no more stalling, hesitation or backfiring. I also watch carefully about overfilling now. Maybe check that since fuel isn't designed to enter the canister and is always results in bad things happening. Then again, it could be bad fuel

Back