• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT windshield

Stock shield .
School is still out, but it's a little quieter. Need to find out if the bugs still hit the inside or not.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 163
Stock shield .
School is still out, but it's a little quieter. Need to find out if the bugs still hit the inside or not.

LOL!! I wish you would elaborate. Was there any thought to the design?

How and what did it effect the most?

Thanks!

First tried a Calsci shield , but did not like the top profile , much preferred the stock shape and its clear optics . The vent did work in terms of no bugs on the inside , wind noise seemed a little less , still a little drumming .

So , why not ? I choose the NACA vent cut-out . It's not perfect as it does not include the inner ramp that is part of the vent design . The top edge of the vent is below line of vision when the shield is in the down position .

Less wind noise , and no drumming .

Picture shows the first hole in the center and a few cuts with the saber saw , held my breath , but no problems .

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 161
This is the cut-out shape of the CS opening.

Attachments

• csws.jpg
    csws.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 158
strut supports

I have run into having to replace the windshield struts several time while on long rides. It was a big pain. Can you send me info on the after market brackets ( I have a 2014 RTW).

Thanks

I have run a Cee Bailey on my R1200RT for two years now - very happy with it for wind deflection, protection from rain, quality of construction and reduced noise.

I hear good things about CalSci but not sure I want a hole in the middle of the shield (i.e. rain, dust, bugs, etc.).

Regardless of which shield you eventually choose, you should consider an upgrade to the struts that support the R1200RT windshield as it travels up and down. The increased torque of a larger surface area translates into greater pressure and could eventually snap these supports - been there, along with many other riders.

There is an excellent aftermarket bracket, solid aluminum and powder black - contact me via PM and I can hook you up with the source.

Good Luck!

Check BeemerBonyard. I know they have arms but I don't recall what model years they are for. Be advised though that they are expensive (over $100 I believe but you can check that).

Back