Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1200RT windshield

bob1100rtc
    I have the medium calsci shield. The airflow is smoother with it down than the stock shield but its also taller in the down position . I don't notice the big difference everyone talks about as far as noise and buffeting. My wife feels no difference on the back and thinks it was a waste of money. I also liked being able to see over the stock shield in the down position. I have to sit up as tall as I can to see over the calsci and then I can just see over it. All in all a toss-up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1100RTC View Post
    I have the medium calsci shield. The airflow is smoother with it down than the stock shield but its also taller in the down position . I don't notice the big difference everyone talks about as far as noise and buffeting. My wife feels no difference on the back and thinks it was a waste of money. I also liked being able to see over the stock shield in the down position. I have to sit up as tall as I can to see over the calsci and then I can just see over it. All in all a toss-up for me.
    Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you are short. I am 6' and see over the calsci in the down position.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    saw one of those a few weeks back and was wondering what effect the HOLE had in rain?
    For the hole and rain as the rider I didn't notice any difference or water coming through the hole and shooting up to my face if that is a concern. Apparently for Iron Butt Types there is a concern about the water getting into the fancy stuff we mount but for me it was a non issue, all my electronics worked without a hitch.

I did the first 24hrs of the rally in serious rain with no problems. I do plan on adding a fine mesh screen so bugs don't get sucked though the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post

I did the first 24hrs of the rally in serious rain with no problems. I do plan on adding a fine mesh screen so bugs don't get sucked though the hole.

It is kind of odd to get dead bugs off the inside of a windshield, isn't it?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

JREDFORD131730
    Quote Originally Posted by janschunck View Post
    I am 1.87 mtr high and my original windshield for my R1200RT 2007 model is too low. Has anyone of you a good idea for - especially - lowering the noice around my helmet.
    Why not just take a stock windshield and a Dremmel tool and cut out a similar shaped opening to get the CS effect and save the $200?

I could be wrong but id does not appear to be rocket science. That's my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by JREDFORD131730 View Post
    Why not just take a stock windshield and a Dremmel tool and cut out a similar shaped opening to get the CS effect and save the $200?

I could be wrong but id does not appear to be rocket science. That's my $0.02.
    There is much more to it than the hole.

On The Road Again
    Stock shield .
    School is still out, but it's a little quieter. Need to find out if the bugs still hit the inside or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JREDFORD131730
    Quote Originally Posted by 30300 View Post
    Stock shield .
    School is still out, but it's a little quieter. Need to find out if the bugs still hit the inside or not.
    LOL!! I wish you would elaborate. Was there any thought to the design?

How and what did it effect the most?

Thanks!

On The Road Again
    First tried a Calsci shield , but did not like the top profile , much preferred the stock shape and its clear optics . The vent did work in terms of no bugs on the inside , wind noise seemed a little less , still a little drumming .

So , why not ? I choose the NACA vent cut-out . It's not perfect as it does not include the inner ramp that is part of the vent design . The top edge of the vent is below line of vision when the shield is in the down position .

Less wind noise , and no drumming .

Picture shows the first hole in the center and a few cuts with the saber saw , held my breath , but no problems .

JREDFORD131730
    This is the cut-out shape of the CS opening.

strut supports

I have run into having to replace the windshield struts several time while on long rides. It was a big pain. Can you send me info on the after market brackets ( I have a 2014 RTW).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    I have run a Cee Bailey on my R1200RT for two years now - very happy with it for wind deflection, protection from rain, quality of construction and reduced noise.

I hear good things about CalSci but not sure I want a hole in the middle of the shield (i.e. rain, dust, bugs, etc.).

Regardless of which shield you eventually choose, you should consider an upgrade to the struts that support the R1200RT windshield as it travels up and down. The increased torque of a larger surface area translates into greater pressure and could eventually snap these supports - been there, along with many other riders.

There is an excellent aftermarket bracket, solid aluminum and powder black - contact me via PM and I can hook you up with the source.

Good Luck!

Check BeemerBonyard. I know they have arms but I don't recall what model years they are for. Be advised though that they are expensive (over $100 I believe but you can check that).
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by david.e.mantle View Post
    I have run into having to replace the windshield struts several time while on long rides. It was a big pain. Can you send me info on the after market brackets ( I have a 2014 RTW).

Thanks
    Dave: here are links to the upper arms and the lower arms

Beemerboneyard offers a MOA discount

I just replaced my upper arms on my '07 this summer, worked out great!
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

shield

In a word, Aeroflow