• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT windshield

janschunck

I am 1.87 mtr high and my original windshield for my R1200RT 2007 model is too low. Has anyone of you a good idea for - especially - lowering the noice around my helmet.

I'm a big fan of the CalSci shields.

I think they're at www.calsci.com. I've got one on my R12RT and it works great!

Are you part of the BCE? It's nice to have you with us!

Dave, I have a Cee Bailey on my RT. It works very well and substantially reduces wind noise. However, I also lose almost 10% of my gas mileage (it's 1" taller and 3" wider than stock). How is the calsci windshield for wind noise and does it affect gas mileage?

On Dave's advice I bought a Calisci shield three days before the Iron Butt Rally.

I loved the screen and I was very happy to have it. With the stock screen I had nose and buffeting which all went away with the Cali Sci.

One More Opinion Weighing In

I have run a Cee Bailey on my R1200RT for two years now - very happy with it for wind deflection, protection from rain, quality of construction and reduced noise.

I hear good things about CalSci but not sure I want a hole in the middle of the shield (i.e. rain, dust, bugs, etc.).

Regardless of which shield you eventually choose, you should consider an upgrade to the struts that support the R1200RT windshield as it travels up and down. The increased torque of a larger surface area translates into greater pressure and could eventually snap these supports - been there, along with many other riders.

There is an excellent aftermarket bracket, solid aluminum and powder black - contact me via PM and I can hook you up with the source.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
On Dave's advice I bought a Calisci shield three days before the Iron Butt Rally.

I loved the screen and I was very happy to have it. With the stock screen I had nose and buffeting which all went away with the Cali Sci.

Did you notice any difference in gas mileage?
Sorry to hear about your nose, but glad to hear it's protected by the Cali Sci screen. :stick

I get right around 42 to 44mpg on mine, riding it like a complete squid. We get crappy CA gas, which doesn't yield as many miles per gallon as other blends.

I don't worry enough about gas mileage to really have considered it, to be quite honest.

saw one of those a few weeks back and was wondering what effect the HOLE had in rain?

Hi and thanks. I am member of the Danish BMW MC club, totalling around 400 members.
I am wondering if the hole in the screen affects the amount of bugs being spread on my visor or if this has no effect?
JanDane

Hi and thanks. I am member of the Danish BMW MC club, totalling around 400 members.
I am wondering if the hole in the screen affects the amount of bugs being spread on my visor or if this has no effect?
JanDane

It actually seems to let the air flow straight off the top of the screen, rather than tumbling around at the top. Not much seems to come through it, actually. My visor isn't any dirtier than it was previously, but my riding is much quieter.

I think the Danish club was part of the "dissenting clubs" and you guys are now part of a new umbrella organization, right? This must be pretty exciting.

Did you notice any difference in gas mileage?
Sorry to hear about your nose, but glad to hear it's protected by the Cali Sci screen. :stick

Average 50-52 mpg stock screen, and the same with the CalSci. The small opening in the screen down low lets wind come up the inside of the screen and shoot out the top... I think pushing dirty wind coming over the top up and away. No issues with the opening whatsoever.

Have the "large" CalSci... the medium resembles the stock dimensions. The large is an inch or two wider/taller, and the xlarge 2-3 inches larger.

A small pause with the CalSci... from certain angles there is a lavender tint to the screen, mostly observable from the saddle, not from this view. Still, a fine screen for ~$200...

r1200rtnederland.jpg

It actually seems to let the air flow straight off the top of the screen, rather than tumbling around at the top. Not much seems to come through it, actually. My visor isn't any dirtier than it was previously, but my riding is much quieter.

I think the Danish club was part of the "dissenting clubs" and you guys are now part of a new umbrella organization, right? This must be pretty exciting.

Hi - First: Yes the Danish BMW Club the officially recognized BMW owners club and we are member of BME Club Europe (BCE). The club started in 1972 and we are counting around 900 members (not 400 as I wrote yesterday). 900 is a high number for a special club in Denmark. Prices on fuel are high and just to drive we pay 180% in registration fee plus 25% VAT. This leads to a lot of old but well kept bikes in all clubs. Unfortunately, our webpage is in Danish only but if interrested, the address is: www.bmwmcklub.dk
Back to the shield: Thanks to you all - my new found friends - and I will settle for the biggest CalSci.
JanDane

I have the medium calsci shield. The airflow is smoother with it down than the stock shield but its also taller in the down position . I don't notice the big difference everyone talks about as far as noise and buffeting. My wife feels no difference on the back and thinks it was a waste of money. I also liked being able to see over the stock shield in the down position. I have to sit up as tall as I can to see over the calsci and then I can just see over it. All in all a toss-up for me.

I have the medium calsci shield. The airflow is smoother with it down than the stock shield but its also taller in the down position . I don't notice the big difference everyone talks about as far as noise and buffeting. My wife feels no difference on the back and thinks it was a waste of money. I also liked being able to see over the stock shield in the down position. I have to sit up as tall as I can to see over the calsci and then I can just see over it. All in all a toss-up for me.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you are short. I am 6' and see over the calsci in the down position.

saw one of those a few weeks back and was wondering what effect the HOLE had in rain?

For the hole and rain as the rider I didn't notice any difference or water coming through the hole and shooting up to my face if that is a concern. Apparently for Iron Butt Types there is a concern about the water getting into the fancy stuff we mount but for me it was a non issue, all my electronics worked without a hitch.

I did the first 24hrs of the rally in serious rain with no problems. I do plan on adding a fine mesh screen so bugs don't get sucked though the hole.

I did the first 24hrs of the rally in serious rain with no problems. I do plan on adding a fine mesh screen so bugs don't get sucked though the hole.

:ha

It is kind of odd to get dead bugs off the inside of a windshield, isn't it?

I am 1.87 mtr high and my original windshield for my R1200RT 2007 model is too low. Has anyone of you a good idea for - especially - lowering the noice around my helmet.

Why not just take a stock windshield and a Dremmel tool and cut out a similar shaped opening to get the CS effect and save the $200?

I could be wrong but id does not appear to be rocket science. That's my $0.02.:banghead

Why not just take a stock windshield and a Dremmel tool and cut out a similar shaped opening to get the CS effect and save the $200?

I could be wrong but id does not appear to be rocket science. That's my $0.02.:banghead

There is much more to it than the hole.

Back