• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

hissing noise

I bought a 1985 k100rs a few weeks ago and over the last few weeks I have been cleaning it up, replacing fluids, checking it over etc.

It seems to run fine - nice and smooth - however while it is running there is a hissing sound (not a mechanical whirring)

One of the minor things I noticed was that the airbox was missing a few of those spring clamps (which I ordered a few of)

Could this be the source of the hiss?
Any other ideas about where to look next if the new clamps don't solve the problem?

thanks
brian

I seem to mem only 4 airbox clips, missing any would open the seal to the filter. As for "hissing", I'm thinking it's air being drawn past the injector stacks' butterfies:
1> does it go away just above idle?
2> does it go away if you hold the airbox closed (filter in place)?
P.S. while getting clips, get a spare or two...

brian thompson said:
I bought a 1985 k100rs a few weeks ago and over the last few weeks I have been cleaning it up, replacing fluids, checking it over etc.

It seems to run fine - nice and smooth - however while it is running there is a hissing sound (not a mechanical whirring)

Did you hit a snake?

If not maybe it's your wife standing behind you.

MarkF

brian thompson said:

One of the minor things I noticed was that the airbox was missing a few of those spring clamps (which I ordered a few of)

Could this be the source of the hiss?
Any other ideas about where to look next if the new clamps don't solve the problem?

thanks
brian

Brian..

A bit of localization of the hissing would help - like where you hear it..

It it's near the fuel tank it may just be the normal noise of the fuel pump. If near the fuel rail - I think if you have good ears (most long-time bikers don't anymore) you might hear the fuel pressure regulator (which lives on the back of the throttle bodies).

Also - worth checking while it's running - open the tank cap and look inside. Some of the K bikes had fuel filters that liked to split on a seam and made a hissing noise. If you have one - it will probably be visible in the gas..

Back