• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires: Michelin vs. Metzeler

The_Veg

D'OH!
Compare and contrast: Michelin Macadam 50E/50 vs. Metzeler ME330/550

In this case the bike in question is an R100R, but I welcome comments based on any experience with these particular tires.
Any pros/cons?
Mileage vs. performance?
Oddities/quirks?
Anything else?

The Veg said:
Compare and contrast: Michelin Macadam 50E/50 vs. Metzeler ME330/550

In this case the bike in question is an R100R, but I welcome comments based on any experience with these particular tires.
Any pros/cons?
Mileage vs. performance?
Oddities/quirks?
Anything else?

On my K75, there was NO comparison. The Michelins are tires, the metzelers were ROCKs.

I'm just ashamed I wasted money on two sets of Metzelers before I tried the Michelins. Bike rides better, turns in quicker, 200% confidence factor in curves, 50% pucker factor in rain. They ARE a little squirly on "grooved pavement" until they're really broken in though, but that has never bothered me. The "Pilot Roads" I just put on the Triumph were the same way for about 300 miles.
Unfortunately, I haven't put enough miles on them to really judge mileage, I changed both sets of Metzlers ~8-10K.

Michelins vs. Metzlers

TO: dlearl:

Did you put Michelin Pilot Roads on the K75 also, or some other
"model" of Michelin tires? :dunno :confused:

Re: Michelins vs. Metzlers

fang said:
TO: dlearl:

Did you put Michelin Pilot Roads on the K75 also, or some other
"model" of Michelin tires? :dunno :confused:

No, the K still has the Mac 50's on it. Only have about 2,000 miles on them. Showing no wear. And btw, these were pre-50E Macs. So I can only surmise the 50/50E combo is even better.

I have been running Michelin Mac 50-50E's for over 80,000 miles. My 1996 K1100LT had Metzler 33-55 s on it orginally. I tried the Michelin on recommendation from local dealer. The first generation of Mac 50 Fronts cupped badly, they corrected it with the 50 E. I like the way the tire handles, wet, rain grooves, or dry it handles well. I average about 15,000 miles on the front and 11,000 miles on the rear.

HTH

Craig Cleasby
South Windsor, CT

I replaced the Metzelers on my K75s with Mac 50s last fall. The difference in performance was amazing. The bike feels much more grounded in the corners, the tires perform better in the rain, and wear evenly. These three areas are where the Metzelers just didn't instill much confidence in me. In corners they felt like they were just along for the ride. In the rain I never felt like they ever had much grip. The tread wear of the Metzelers was just plain weird. There were ready to be replaced after only 4/5000 miles of moderate riding (Non-race track speeds). Buy the Mac 50s you'll be happy you did.

The Michelins are THE tire, IMHO, if you need a bias ply tire. No, they don't last as long as some tires. No, they're not as sticky as some others. But they were a great compromise on my K75s. I'd get more than 10-12k miles out of a set, and they felt nearly as good as the stickier tires.

Back