• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"New" old K75 in the stable

Congratulations Paul. I made a similar "find" a year ago, a K75S with 8700 miles on it (vin .....50905) unfortunately mine was the blue/green color.
Have you had a chance to look at the brakes yet? If the fuel system had brown sludge in it you'll probably find the same thing in the brake lines and Mcylinders.

Good luck with your "new" bike. After its initial clean up mine has been a real joy to ride this past summer.
Not really carefully evaluated the brakes yet. The fluid is dark in both systems. The front brake works but the rear does not seem to grab at all. I plan to tackle the brakes this weekend. I imagine I may need to remove the rear caliper and force the pucks back into their bore then flush. I'm pretty experienced with brakes and have done the control and wheel circuits on my R1150RT several times. This K75 system is sooooo much simpler. Thanks for the reminder!
Paul

So...where are the pictures?? :dance
Greg,
I tried to upload one photo last night but I received an error message that the file was too large (way too large). There is 156.3 Kb file size limit per upload. Any way around that other than to take the photos at a lower resolution?

Paul

my brick is a 93 k75 and i worship it....it has 7007 miles on it right this minute while it sits in my cold oklahoma garage. Unseasonably cold tonight 35 at best and windy...

She is warm and toasty with the her two friends...

Rear Brake MC Frozen

The rear brake MC is sludged up and piston is frozen. Will probably have to replace or rebuild. Anyone have a lead on a rebuilt MC? Beemer boneyard wants $50 just for the rebuild kit. The caliper looks good. Both pucks move freely and pads are barely worn. Also, the rear reservoir looks to be in poor condition and will likely need replacement.

Paul

Thanks Lee!!!

I've put a bid on the MC and will get a reservoir ordered. Thanks SO MUCH for your help. This forum is priceless!

Paul

Steering Head Lube?

Good morning K-bike wizards,
I'm still waiting for my mail-ordered Clymers to arrive. ITMT, I've discovered the fork turns VERY stiffly and is in need of bearing removal, cleaning and repacking. I would like to get this done while the wheels are off waiting for tires. I have the bike on a lift with the front fairing/headlamp/instrument cluster and front wheel off. The calipers are also off the fork legs. It seems that the front brake hydraulic tube that runs through the steering head may need to be removed. If so, how does it come out? If it can stay in, what is the next step in getting to the bearings? What grease is recommended?

As always, thanks for any information.

Dr. Paul

Good morning K-bike wizards,
I'm still waiting for my mail-ordered Clymers to arrive. ITMT, I've discovered the fork turns VERY stiffly and is in need of bearing removal, cleaning and repacking. I would like to get this done while the wheels are off waiting for tires. I have the bike on a lift with the front fairing/headlamp/instrument cluster and front wheel off. The calipers are also off the fork legs. It seems that the front brake hydraulic tube that runs through the steering head may need to be removed. If so, how does it come out? If it can stay in, what is the next step in getting to the bearings? What grease is recommended?

As always, thanks for any information.

Dr. Paul

You have to open the brake system to remove that pipe from the fork head. I has a "Y" at the bottom so comes out by disconnecting it from the top.

K75's have a rubber steering dampener inside the fork head. It's a rubber collar with a square waffle pattern inside which holds special silicone grease. Once you have pulled the steering stem out (from the bottom) you can remove the dampener by removing the two allen screws at either side of the fork head. BMW says to only use their special silicon grease to fill the "reservoir" spaces on the dampener.

When you put everything back together, you'll need to get the dampener aligned vertically so some of it's metal backing is exposed to the pointed ends of the allen screws. You leave the dampener loose while setting the fork bearing pre-load and only tighten the allen screws (thus "turning on" the dampener) after the preload is set.

BelRay makes an excellent high pressure water proof wheel bearing grease, but just about any good wheel bearing grease will work.

You have to open the brake system to remove that pipe from the fork head. I has a "Y" at the bottom so comes out by disconnecting it from the top.

K75's have a rubber steering dampener inside the fork head. It's a rubber collar with a square waffle pattern inside which holds special silicone grease. Once you have pulled the steering stem out (from the bottom) you can remove the dampener by removing the two allen screws at either side of the fork head. BMW says to only use their special silicon grease to fill the "reservoir" spaces on the dampener.

When you put everything back together, you'll need to get the dampener aligned vertically so some of it's metal backing is exposed to the pointed ends of the allen screws. You leave the dampener loose while setting the fork bearing pre-load and only tighten the allen screws (thus "turning on" the dampener) after the preload is set.

BelRay makes an excellent high pressure water proof wheel bearing grease, but just about any good wheel bearing grease will work.
Thanks, Greg. Does the brake fluid pipe pull straight out or unscrew? Mine seems pretty snug in there and doesn't want to budge.

Paul

Thanks, Greg. Does the brake fluid pipe pull straight out or unscrew? Mine seems pretty snug in there and doesn't want to budge.

Paul

Once it's free at the top it should just pull out. Could be stuck with crud - maybe drizzle some WD40 down the sides?

Fuel Pressure Regulator

The only remaining fuel system component that has not been cleaned, replaced or repaired is the fuel pressure regulator. I'm sure it was exposed to the same fuel stagnation problems as the rest of the system. Any way to clean and test prior to reassembling everything? Maybe just replace now??
Drive shaft removed without difficulty. Splines are perfect. The grease on the rear spline was a bit hardened but the front spline lube looked new. Found the Moly 60 at my local Honda shop. Should get relubed and back in today.

Still wondering if anyone has information on cleaning or testing the fuel pressure regulator. It's a $100 so would like to salvage if possible. Thanks!

Paul

I just love my K.

congrats!
1331115280_b0ca33d5c5.jpg

Still wondering if anyone has information on cleaning or testing the fuel pressure regulator. It's a $100 so would like to salvage if possible. Thanks!

Paul

The regulator can be tested by reading fuel pressure with a tee arrangement as shown in both Clymer and Haynes. It can be cleaned by use of a good fuel cleaner, such as Red Line (my fave) or Seafoam.

On one instance, I had low pressure and did this and that, finally removing the regulator for bench testing with compressed air. My testing showed no problem, so I scratched my head and put it all back together, whereopon it ran perfectly. I can only assume that the compressed air blew out a bit of swarf from inside the regulator that was holding the poppet valve partially open.

So.............from all that, a hundred pounds of air could help you be sure it is clean. I also found the Oetiker clamps on the lines on the regulator to be loose, allowing the hoses to be easily pulled off. The fire possibilities are a little frightening there. I replaced them with NAPA fuel injection clamps, which are checked for tightness yearly, owing to the heat accumulation there in summer traffic. New hoses, too.

Did I say I worship at the altar of regular use of a good fuel system cleaner?

Chevron Techron Forever!
Thanks for the advice on cleaning and testing the regulator. I will do that this weekend.

Paul

Techron rocks! I always use Chevron gas, and now Texaco has Techron. I also run a tank treated richly with the Techron additive before every oil change. I've done this on all my vehicles (cars & bikes) for many years and I just never have fuel system problems. :thumb :thumb

My bike has seen one treatment of Techron in 18 years, and lives on 10% ethanol-based fuel. Never had a fuel issue of any kind.

The only thing that seems to stop these bikes is parking them. :D

Techron rocks! I always use Chevron gas, and now Texaco has Techron. I also run a tank treated richly with the Techron additive before every oil change. I've done this on all my vehicles (cars & bikes) for many years and I just never have fuel system problems. :thumb :thumb

Techron......yeah, it is popular. And pretty good, too.

Back in the late sixties or early seventies, I commuted on a Vespa GS, and it liked its carb boiled every so often. Yes, boiled. In a pan of water with some Spic and Span on the stove. Just like Grampa did to the Model T updraft carb. It went longer between boiling when I burned Chevron gas. Yes, really. The ingredient advertised was called F-310, but names are names, and usually come from the ad department. It was based on a polybutene amine and was later named Techrolene, then Techron. They had TV commercials touting how clean engines ran on it, using an astronaut and a plastic bag. :)

Back