• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Unchained Tea and a Wee Tour '08

Holly, thanks for the Britishness.

In a bid to start accustoming myself to the South American ways, I bought some matte latte yesterday-I know it's only a token gesture but you can't find llama steaks in the local butchers and the deli was right out of guinea pig burgers, and I must say the version of matte I had tasted like a handful of garden. Not the fresh baby leaves of the shrubbery, more the shovelful of compost by the shed.

Now I'm sure it's good for me (it does afterall have to provide some benefit to drinking it) but I sincerely hope that by Dec 08, either my tastebuds will have adapted, or I'll have found there are far more enjoyable versions.

yuk, yak, eckk, gaggg, phhhttt

3 cups

Name change:

I've been studying my teas and there's a saying that it takes 3 cups to become a friend.
The first is just polite, the second a chance to find out about each other and the third to find friendship.

With this is mind, Tea and a wee will from now on be called The Third Cup Tour.

If I'm taking a miniature bone china tea service (I've found one), I hope the size of the cups won't be a hinderance, otherwise I might need to call it the somewhere between three and nine cups trip, and that's just a little wordy!

Perhaps the emphasis of the trip could change. Instead of the ride and tea, it should be more a stop me and have a cup or three meeting with as many people as possible.

With my Spanish classes starting in the Spring, perhaps I could work a sticker for the bike in espanol, unless anyone knows spanish for "stop me for tea a chat and a photograph".

extreme tea

I thought riding around South America drinking tea would be fairly extreme, but it's not. This puts it into perspective:

Start with a cable car trip.

260332281_kjCrd-L.jpg

Build up your thirst with a short hike along the path:

260332307_nLehE-L.jpg

Remember to use the hand rail if you feel tired:

260332336_dbBLo-L.jpg

Watch out for people coming the other way:

260332353_U23H3-L.jpg

Nearly there, put the kettle on:

260332383_HybJc-L.jpg

Then here's the pay off. What the biscuits are still at the bottom...bloody hell!

260332254_27dTc-L.jpg

Tea

Hi Lamble
How's this for an irony. I'm addicted to coffee. On my recent ride through Central America, if you ordered a cup of coffee, you got frikken Nescafe instant coffee - it drove me mad! So drinking tea does not sound that unique. It may be more challenging drinking coffee - in the center of the coffee growing world.
To offer any help on riding alone or with a buddy is a tough one. You need to be familiar (no, not that familiar) with you wingman, have similar expectations and agendas, have compatible riding skills and pace, equitable resources (including money) and time. Noticed how many ultra distance riders are solo? That said, its obviously far safer and more satisfying to share an adventure like this with a buddy. And surprisingly, having dissimilar bikes is a fairly serious disadvantage, the smaller bike will hold you up on the open road, and disappear through the dust on many of the roads you will encounter on your way south.
I do hope that it will work out for you - you're in for a treat and a (character building) adventure, without doubt. The people are great, food and lodging a steal, beaurocracy unbelievable, roads very challenging and the geography ever changing. Enjoy!

Hi Lamble
How's this for an irony. I'm addicted to coffee. On my recent ride through Central America, if you ordered a cup of coffee, you got frikken Nescafe instant coffee - it drove me mad! So drinking tea does not sound that unique. It may be more challenging drinking coffee - in the center of the coffee growing world.
To offer any help on riding alone or with a buddy is a tough one. You need to be familiar (no, not that familiar) with you wingman, have similar expectations and agendas, have compatible riding skills and pace, equitable resources (including money) and time. Noticed how many ultra distance riders are solo? That said, its obviously far safer and more satisfying to share an adventure like this with a buddy. And surprisingly, having dissimilar bikes is a fairly serious disadvantage, the smaller bike will hold you up on the open road, and disappear through the dust on many of the roads you will encounter on your way south.
I do hope that it will work out for you - you're in for a treat and a (character building) adventure, without doubt. The people are great, food and lodging a steal, beaurocracy unbelievable, roads very challenging and the geography ever changing. Enjoy!

One of the wisest pieces of advice I've read, is travel with more than one, but be prepared to travel as one.
We have different agendas. We have different bikes. I have yet to determine what our skill levels are, but will insist on a long weekend trip at least.

I fully expect to have stretches where we ride independently.
Seems no coffee won't be a hardship though.

PS. Gordon's Bay and Knysna...favourite places.

"... the man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready, and it may be a long time before they get off."

Thoreau said that.

"First the dream, then the reality."

I say that.

Follow your dream and you will never be disappointed in the reality.

Now I know I'm getting old.

Tom, my riding companion for this trip said he'd met a girl that wanted to come along.

There was a presentation from a guy who'd ridden a Ural to TDF, so we went to see it. The girl turned up (I forget her name, but it begins with an M) it was such a short introduction to someone you may end up spending months in very close proximity with.

She is very attractive in that classical american way. Her friend, who also wants to come was equally as attractive, but has yet to pass her test.

My first thoughts?

Damn, how long will they take to get ready in the morning?
And,
I bet I'll end up having to play chapperone!

It is now imperative that we arrange a pre journey ride somewhere, to either confirm, or dispell my preconceptions.

Now I know I'm getting old.

She is very attractive in that classical american way. Her friend, who also wants to come was equally as attractive, but has yet to pass her test.

Not sure what "attractive in that classical American way" means.

needpics.gif

Not sure what "attractive in that classical American way" means.

needpics.gif

See that's just pervy.
You know the USA idea of attractive...California blonde, with a hint of girl next door. Could appear giving the weather report, or in one of those adverts for skin care cream that reduces wrinkles, where a model who isn't old enough to have developed even a dent, yet alone a wrinkle, is used.

That sort.

Damn, how long will they take to get ready in the morning?

That's one of the reasons I left my last sweetheart. She packed heavy for trips, never went to the airport before noon, and for one 3- or 4-day weekend road-trip she brought a full-size hair-dryer and *THREE* curling-irons!

She took a good hour to get from domestic to publically-presentable (in HER opinion), and wouldn't ride with me on the bike if she'd already done her hair for the day (no unplanned rides as a result).

Sweet girl, but definitely NOT ready for adventure!

That reminds me- Lamble, have you read Investment Biker by Jim Rogers? His gorgeous blonde travel-companion wanted to take hs /2 on their round-the-world ride because she thought it looked cool...and he let her!

That's one of the reasons I left my last sweetheart. She packed heavy for trips, never went to the airport before noon, and for one 3- or 4-day weekend road-trip she brought a full-size hair-dryer and *THREE* curling-irons!

She took a good hour to get from domestic to publically-presentable (in HER opinion), and wouldn't ride with me on the bike if she'd already done her hair for the day (no unplanned rides as a result).

Sweet girl, but definitely NOT ready for adventure!

That reminds me- Lamble, have you read Investment Biker by Jim Rogers? His gorgeous blonde travel-companion wanted to take hs /2 on their round-the-world ride because she thought it looked cool...and he let her!

I've no idea what these ladies are like, or what there riding style is or isn't.
Tom has been hit by a truck since I last saw him, so needs a new pannier, but is okay physically I believe.

Without doubt it's adding elements into the mix that can either be regarded as added interest, or additional concerns. Only time and mileage will tell how this will pan out.

See that's just pervy.
You know the USA idea of attractive...California blonde, with a hint of girl next door. Could appear giving the weather report, or in one of those adverts for skin care cream that reduces wrinkles, where a model who isn't old enough to have developed even a dent, yet alone a wrinkle, is used.

That sort.

Oh yah. Someone a 17 year old would lust after. That kind.

Those would hold you back a bunch. Like, you know, like it would, you know, take like a long time, like to say like anything, you know?

Oh yah. Someone a 17 year old would lust after. That kind.

Those would hold you back a bunch. Like, you know, like it would, you know, take like a long time, like to say like anything, you know?

For all I know, they both might be articulate, punctual, charming, multilingual, off road riding champions, with a need to hang around two old blokes.

But...they might not.

It just came as a surprise, and so did my reaction.

Do I have enough pannier room for slippers and a labrador?

The girl next door ? My neighbor weights in at 300 pounds and is a blonde. I can't see lugging her to Buenos Aires on a GS unless I can get an engineering grant to finance the venture. :dunno

The way America is becoming she is a classic. :whistle

You'll see I said idea, not reality. Is that classic, as in classic cola, full fat and extra sugar?

Really 300lbs? That's big!

I've been in touch with the Minister for Tea Education, at the Republic of Tea, and have been granted an interview.
Their offices are on the way south, so I'll be calling in to do a filming session, hopefully gaining some valuable Tea info and insight during the process.

If I'm lucky, I'll try and blag a title for myself, something like Ambassador for Tea, or Tea Envoy, or perhaps Count of the Cup.

Nice people, nice tea.

http://www.republicoftea.com/

Back