• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/17/07

Triangles

I was determined to find a "Natural Triangle" not a constructed one. It took a while but Mother Nature bent this tree over another to form what I was looking for.

222560234-L.jpg

Triangles

222766648-M.jpg

Top box triangles.

I just physically couldn't get the angles to work on this shot, the BMW roundel being too far from the Union flag sticker, and so the grey expanse between became a problem. Plus, lighting. The surface isn't flat and cast vertical shadows up through the flag.

I may try again, later, with more than one light source. Back to magi lite in the teeth time.

In most places the Union Jack is a little foggy, but never out of focus. :thumb

What do you mean "foggy"? :scratch
Patriotically I do have several other versions, where the flag is in focus and the BMW roundel is out of focus, but they had the shadows all wrong.

If of course you mean metaphorically foggy, then yah boo sucks to you, with nobs on and a cherry on top!

On a pedantic point, it's the Union flag...the Union Jack is a naval version I believe and has something to do with the ensign. But I do know for sure, the flag in the pic isn't the "jack".

Last edited:
sf+003.jpg

Is it me, or is a "true" triangle specifically a man made shape. I was out and about quite a lot this weekend, and it's nearly impossible to find a triangle in nature that has straight sides. (just an observation- and nothing more)

222850139-M.jpg

Gave up with the lighting on the top box after I swallowed the torch. So I went looking for triangles in nature. These parrot flowers are as near as I could find in and around the house.

They could look spectacular with the right lighting and a more skilled photographer. Still, I like the diagonal composition, as it also splits the image into two triangles.

Is it me, or is a "true" triangle specifically a man made shape. I was out and about quite a lot this weekend, and it's nearly impossible to find a triangle in nature that has straight sides. (just an observation- and nothing more)

A survival rule says that there are almost no straight lines in nature. If you are lost, and you come across one, chances are it is man-made.

Triangles?

First of all, I'm not at all sure that these even qualify as triangles. They are, perhaps, the endoskeleton of a triangle.

I spent the afternoon riding trails in the mountains of Tehachapi in search of the right spot. I found two or three, but I'm just not in love with any one of them.

I like this first one, if only that is shows the true scale of these massive windmills.

I'm not happy with the position of the blades, especially in relation to each other. Also, there's a third windmill's blade peeking in the left margin.

Last edited:
Back