• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking of starting a riders group in Chicago 'burbs

weather

I'd like to do it, but I'll be the first wimp to be worried about the weather that time of year, going north.

So - I was talking to a friend at work and he had an idea that he has been tossing around with his riding buddies - Ring Tour around Lake Michigian.

It has crossed my mind before but never seemed to find the time. Plus - North of Green Bay on the West and North of Traverse City are an unknown to me.

So what you think: An easy introductory ride.
After that - backcountry roads to Alaska???

First ride on April 11, 12, and 13th
Ride around Lake Michigian:
http://www.great-lakes.net/tourism/circletour/michigan/
Depending on who wants to come - we can either camp or hotel. I'd personally
If others want - we can work in a theme: Geocaching, etc... ??

That early in April can give you snow on the Northern edge of that loop. However, since we're talking a weekend ride, I'd absolutely be game. Keep us posted.

How about May?

That early in April can give you snow on the Northern edge of that loop. However, since we're talking a weekend ride, I'd absolutely be game. Keep us posted.
Snow is definetly a minus ;)
May 2,3, and 4th? Plus makes camping more of an option
Does this date work for ohers?

Works for me -

BTW, just came back from a ride that this club should consider as a annual ride - out to Starved Rock State Park - following the Illinois River from the East. Wow - this is a nice jaunt!

Early May will be fine, so long as everyone has electric vests and grips, fresh oil and good tires!

BTW, just came back from a ride that this club should consider as a annual ride - out to Starved Rock State Park - following the Illinois River from the East. Wow - this is a nice jaunt!

Early May will be fine, so long as everyone has electric vests and grips, fresh oil and good tires!

Small world - Starved Rock is just a 1/2 hr south of me. Great Hiking - It would be great ride; I have been meaning to ride out that way but since its so close then I typically head up to WI or MI instead.

May it is for the Ring around Lake Michigian. Should be fun! Plus if you just came back from Starved Rock - its below freezing this weekend - you'll be fine in May.

Anyone else in? Its months away so there is plenty of time to set aside a long weekend in May.

toys for tots motorcycle parade

```

Last edited:
Toys for Tots -

Yep I'll join - it'll be good to have a few Beemer riders together. This assumes we don't have snow that weekend.

toys for tots parade. Dec.2.07.all info here>>>>>>>>>>>>http://chicagolandtft.org/mainevent.htm
i try to find other riders from north chicago burbs to join.try to find easy place to meat and ride to the city.
if anybody interested let me know.
ride safe,martin
-------------------------------------------
84 CZ 350 (where all this started)
87 K75s (under construction)
05 Kawasaki Z750s
03 Yamaha R1

Good God!!! a 6am start -- on a Sunday!
I'm in

It'll have to depend on where the people work I guess for a weeknight. I live North, but am in Downtown Chicago a few days a week.

:stick

The 'celebrity' would be coming up from Indianapolis, so would probably not join in the planning meeting.

I work in Northbrook - not too far from Lake Forest. I'm sure we can arrange for something in Jan.

- curt

I might be in

I hope it's not cold in the UP, and when crossing the Mackinaw bridge with the cold winds. I am working on the heated vest, to assist me in cold weather ride.

I live in Gurnee, and work in around Buckley Road and Waukegan Rd (Rt 43), few miles north of Lake Forest.

The only problem with option 2 that I see is riding along with the truckers on the tight spot of 80/94.

I hope it's not cold in the UP, and when crossing the Mackinaw bridge with the cold winds. I am working on the heated vest, to assist me in cold weather ride.

I live in Gurnee, and work in around Buckley Road and Waukegan Rd (Rt 43), few miles north of Lake Forest.

The only problem with option 2 that I see is riding along with the truckers on the tight spot of 80/94.

For options 1 -3, good discussion to have at wherever we meet in Jan. Hope to see you there.

The bridge has me a little worried - I heard its unnerving. Ditto on the heated vest.

- curt

Heated gear

With a heated vest, heated grips and several chemical handwarmers to slip into your boots, we're good to ride down to 28 degrees.:thumb

Or so I discovered a few weeks ago!

The scenery up the Eastern shore and Door County are both great - can't wait to see the Northern coast. :dance

Last edited:
I was also thinking

that the UP area generally colder than Chicago any given time, perhaps we come to it in June; but we utilize the early May to go either towards southern IL to Shawnee Forest.

Just another option if we need to balance weather with our riding desire.

Memorial Day long weekend, CRBMW hosts a ride to La Crosse, WI.

BTW, MotoWorks in Chicago is giving away 10% discount on Gerbing gear. It seem like I'll be opting to take the advantage and buying myself a vest and socks. I like the pant liners but have not heard too much positive response, as the wires get pretty hot near the knee area. My bike does not provide any kind of shield to air striking my legs. Dang.

that the UP area generally colder than Chicago any given time, perhaps we come to it in June; but we utilize the early May to go either towards southern IL to Shawnee Forest.

Just another option if we need to balance weather with our riding desire.

Memorial Day long weekend, CRBMW hosts a ride to La Crosse, WI.

BTW, MotoWorks in Chicago is giving away 10% discount on Gerbing gear. It seem like I'll be opting to take the advantage and buying myself a vest and socks. I like the pant liners but have not heard too much positive response, as the wires get pretty hot near the knee area. My bike does not provide any kind of shield to air striking my legs. Dang.

I'm open - as long as we agree and ride. Rationally, it makes sense to do a northern ride later and head south earlier in the year. But riding a motorcycle is my escape from reason :thumb

I never considered the pant liners - I picked up schoeller thermals undies http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/d...ageID=227&emotionstate=0&emotionID=8&langID=2 at the rally this year. Just amazing - never too hot or cold - I can vouch down to upper 30's. My wife just blurted out that she is getting me a Gerbing liner for xmas - I can't wait! :dance

Good Idea

Southern Illinois gets Spring probably a month before Chicago!

I'm still taking the heated gear, though!

I was reserching heated gear and i think i my case i will get gloves and vest.
Are you guys plan to meet somware in chicago aera to make plans and talk about the trip?Im up for if.

Back