• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BRITS in BMW MOA

While on the subject of Brits. I came across this article this morning

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7098116.stm

Simply...How?

What part of a bicycle enables you to perform any such act?

I've blown up tyres before now, but I wouldn't call that intimate. (I used a pump...honest guv')

On the subject of sheep though.

Shepard's Pie. There's a big clue in the name and it's not the pie part.

So, how come, last night at an Irish pub in Seattle, shepard's pie was made with beef?
I've even been to a place called the Three Lions in Redmond, the professed British enclave in the Pacific North West...minced beef again.
It's not like minced lamb isn't available...I've got some in the freezer.
It's also not like the name for a beef version of a shepard's pie doesn't exist. It does. It's called a cottage pie. Sheep/Shepards, Cattle/.......no wait the arguement breaks down there, because cattle don't live in cottages do they.
Still, it's tradition and all that sort of stuff.

While you are busy sorting that out, I've a tandem to sort out...ahhh identical twins!

BAORing

I've spent very little time in the UK, but I have spent a lot of time in the field with the BAOR (British Army of The Rhine (in Germany of course) in the late 80's. Does that count? The boys played hard, drank hard and cheated at every opportunity they could in war games. We loved them for all those endearing qualities. Alas, the BAOR and 2nd Armored Div are no more.:buds

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

I've spent very little time in the UK, but I have spent a lot of time in the field with the BAOR (British Army of The Rhine (in Germany of course) in the late 80's. Does that count? The boys played hard, drank hard and cheated at every opportunity they could in war games. We loved them for all those endearing qualities. Alas, the BAOR and 2nd Armored Div are no more.:buds

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

You see, this is where English as a common language isn't always interpreted the same way. You say "Tomaydo", we say "tomarto", you say "cheat", we say, "used one's innitiative to gain an advantage":D

You see, this is where English as a common language isn't always interpreted the same way. You say "Tomaydo", we say "tomarto", you say "cheat", we say, "used one's innitiative to gain an advantage":D
:ha:ha
By the way Lamble, 2 more British giants-of-cinema (can't believe I neglected these two in the first place!):

Stan Laurel
Charles Chaplin

'nuff sed! :bow

ashes to ashes

:ha:ha
By the way Lamble, 2 more British giants-of-cinema (can't believe I neglected these two in the first place!):

Stan Laurel
Charles Chaplin

'nuff sed! :bow

Do you recall, Charlie Chaplain's ashes were stolen from acrypt in Switzerland some years back?
I was at a fancy dress party-I think I went as a carrot-when this guy arrived dressed perfectly normally. The host expressed concern about the unsuitable attire, at which the guest flicked his cigarette on the carpet and said, "I've come as Chaplain's missing ashes", then turned around and left.

Shouldn't this thread go to the "Don't go there" forum?

I'd agree if this were the 'Romford on a wet Sunday morning' thread! Dreadful place from an architectural point of view. I'm sure there are worse places, but I also associate Romford with back surgery, so it starts with a disadvantage.

Why is it wet Sunday mornings are usually so dull? Is it the contrast with all the Saturday evening entertainment, so a wet Sunday is some sort of universal atonement for excess (obviously not those parts of the universe where Saturday isn't pis* up night).
Romford Saturday's are notorious, unless you are in a hospital with a 'Naught by mouth' sign on the bottom of your bed and with straight-jacket tucked in sheets.

Just the thought of Romfod makes me want to run around wantonly, windmilling my arms...because I can.

Don't go there! Except on Saturday nights.

Mushy Peas and Newcastles

Hello Lamble, We are looking for a mushy peas recipe. Is this one of those "everyone's mother has one and they are all different"? Please PM me if you have one. Also does the kind of peas used make a difference?

I made it to England twice when I was in the Air Force. 37 days at RAF Fairford and it rained all 37 days!!! Also a spent time at RAF Mildenhall. At Fairford I was lucky to have friends stationed there and they had a car. On the weekends we went out and toured the countryside. I was suprised to see pubs letting dogs in and the one we were at had a water dish for each of the dogs of the regular customers. Also made it for a day at RAF Lakenheath. I enjoyed many pub lunches and developed an affection for Newcastles. I spent a Christmas at Fairford and enjoyed being with my friends. I always found the Brits I met very friendly.

I would stand on the aircraft parking spots and could almost hear the engines of the B-17's, B24's and Lancasters. It is hard to believe they would put hundereds of these aircraft in the air day after day.

The history of the place is what I loved the most. To see buildings with cornerstones from the 1400's when all we have around here is the late 1800's.

My grandmother was British so there is a special place in my heart for the place. Hope to go back for Cass and my 25th anniversary.

The first day I got to Fairford I was getting onto a bus driven by a British gent and he greeted us by saying "My name is Barney and I am the first bloke you have met. You will always remember me" Dang he was right!!!

Cheers!!

One more thing....

I remember the smell of the coal fires in the grates. I had to ask someone what the funny smell was ( I live in Wisconsin so I am used to a lot of funny smells). They thought it was funny I didn't know what it was.

I was young and innocent at the time......

:brad

Hello Lamble, We are looking for a mushy peas recipe. Is this one of those "everyone's mother has one and they are all different"? Please PM me if you have one. Also does the kind of peas used make a difference?

I made it to England twice when I was in the Air Force. 37 days at RAF Fairford and it rained all 37 days!!! Also a spent time at RAF Mildenhall. At Fairford I was lucky to have friends stationed there and they had a car. On the weekends we went out and toured the countryside. I was suprised to see pubs letting dogs in and the one we were at had a water dish for each of the dogs of the regular customers. Also made it for a day at RAF Lakenheath. I enjoyed many pub lunches and developed an affection for Newcastles. I spent a Christmas at Fairford and enjoyed being with my friends. I always found the Brits I met very friendly.

I would stand on the aircraft parking spots and could almost hear the engines of the B-17's, B24's and Lancasters. It is hard to believe they would put hundereds of these aircraft in the air day after day.

The history of the place is what I loved the most. To see buildings with cornerstones from the 1400's when all we have around here is the late 1800's.

My grandmother was British so there is a special place in my heart for the place. Hope to go back for Cass and my 25th anniversary.

The first day I got to Fairford I was getting onto a bus driven by a British gent and he greeted us by saying "My name is Barney and I am the first bloke you have met. You will always remember me" Dang he was right!!!

Cheers!!

I visited Upper Heyford, Mildenhall and Lakenheath at one time or another.

Funny you should mention mushy peas, we were looking for them yesterday at World Market and they'd sold out...obviously word is spreading.
I'm guessing marrowfat peas as they have a suitably squishy consistency. I doubt many folk in the UK can make them and would revert to either getting them at the local chippie, or buying tins.

We were once in a pub quiz in N. England, a place called Brough. There was a picture section, where you had to name people from obscure images, or childhood images. We got most of them (and won the quiz) but were stumped by a picture of a puppy...it turned out to be one of the local's sheep dog. Turns out, the adult dog was sitting right next to us, probably sniggering a doggy-snigger at our stupidity.

Found this:

INGREDIENTS
1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Bring a shallow pot of lightly salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add frozen peas, and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender.
Drain peas, and transfer to a blender or large food processor. Add cream, butter, salt and pepper to peas, and process until blended, but still thick with small pieces of peas. Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve immediately.

Reviewed on Sep. 19, 2006 by MOLLE888
My boyfriend and I just returned from the UK and we fell in love with mushy peas while we were over there. I was delighted to find a recipe for them on allrecipes, however I was really skeptical as to how they would taste. These were AWESOME, and tasted just like the mushy peas we enjoyed in England! Thank you so much for this easy, delicious recipe. I served these with traditional fish and chips... fried cod and fried potato strips.

Reviewed on Nov. 21, 2006 by Kate
Best peas ever. I did not want mine so pureed, so I just used a hand held potato masher to mush them up with the butter, cream, salt, and pepper and they turned out GREAT!!

Reviewed on Aug. 26, 2007 by vanessajbaca
These came out great. I boiled three cloves of garlic with the peas, then mushed them up together, then added fat-free creamer, a spoonful of sour cream, and eyeballed the butter and salt and pepper, and they came out fantastic! The texture was knobbly-smooth and the flavor went perfectly with a pecan-crusted, honey-mustard glazed salmon recipe also found on this site. A great meal.

2Beers, for me I'd add malt vinegar and pepper too, especially if they are to accompany fish and chips.

While we're talking about various things British, I have always heard the terms 'git,' 'prat,' 'berk,' etc. used in usually comedic settings to describe someone as either unintelligent or idiotic or something along those general lines. Are these terms similar to each other or not? Are their meanings specific? Any particular cautions about meanings I should observe when using them?

While we're talking about various things British, I have always heard the terms 'git,' 'prat,' 'berk,' etc. used in usually comedic settings to describe someone as either unintelligent or idiotic or something along those general lines. Are these terms similar to each other or not? Are their meanings specific? Any particular cautions about meanings I should observe when using them?

Berk I do know. It's far tamer now than its origin, which few people know, otherwise they wouldn't use it, a bit like bloody was originally far stronger when it was God's Blood, sblud, now bloody (remember the power of the church was immense when God's Blood was an oath.

Prat...is buttocks. It might derive from a village called Pratt's Bottom

Git -ille (git) imate, but maybe from elsewhere. It's very gentle as an insult. I'd use it as uncouth, or without any thought as in "that's a gittish definition of git"

Other terms come from bastardisation of germanic and norse, with some celt, french and latin thrown in. English, you've got to love it.

I'm a cockney. Berk is rhyming slang derived from Berkley Hunt, in the same way that Barnet, meaning hair, is derived from Barnet Fair. Most people these days don't know the derivation - but don't use it in London anyway. Prat might be buttocks where Lamble is from but where I grew up it was a few inches removed from there (see Berk).

Don't say that you're stuffed, don't say you have a fanny pack (see Berk), pants are underwear, if your name is Walter don't refer to yourself as Wally. It goes in the other direction as well, I've had problems with knocking people up, and rubber. In Oz Durex is Scotch tape, in England it's a condom.

It's a wonder that we can communicate at all.

I'm a cockney. Berk is rhyming slang derived from Berkley Hunt, in the same way that Barnet, meaning hair, is derived from Barnet Fair. Most people these days don't know the derivation - but don't use it in London anyway. Prat might be buttocks where Lamble is from but where I grew up it was a few inches removed from there (see Berk).

Don't say that you're stuffed, don't say you have a fanny pack (see Berk), pants are underwear, if your name is Walter don't refer to yourself as Wally. It goes in the other direction as well, I've had problems with knocking people up, and rubber. In Oz Durex is Scotch tape, in England it's a condom.

It's a wonder that we can communicate at all.

Well Tonkandy, what a tw*tish load of twaddle y'w*nker. I'm b*ggered if a noddlepoppin to*ser is going to tell me a pr*t is a f*nny. That's just boll*cks! :thumb .

Well Tonkandy, what a tw*tish load of twaddle y'w*nker. I'm b*ggered if a noddlepoppin to*ser is going to tell me a pr*t is a f*nny. That's just boll*cks! :thumb .

I must be watching too much "Coupling" on BBC America. I think I can understand that. :hungover

Coincidentally, I find it funny that BBC America has notifications telling people to turn on their closed captioning before watching some of the shows. I understand that stuff better than I understand some of the things I hear in the deep south. Then again, there is a Brit at work; maybe I'm just used to it.
:)

Back