• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Carmel Road Trip

S

SNC1923

Iz and I have been working like dogs for the past 10 weeks and really needed a getaway. Lack of funds, foreboding weather, unannounced visitors, and minor health issues couldn't stop us. Saturday morning we were up and packed and headed to Carmel for the holiday weekend.

221034074-XL.jpg

Our first stop was Santa Margarita and the Porch Cafe on Hwy 58. We had a respectable breakfast burrito there, sufficient sustinance to get us the rest of the way there.

221034334-L.jpg

This was my first attempt to use the multi-functional bag liners strapped to the side cases. They worked great. We like to pack a lot, so plenty of room for sweats, windbreakers, tennis shoes, etc. The raised the CoG a bit, but nothing too serious.

221034543-L.jpg

This was also Iz's first trip after installing the backrest on the top case. Not as cushy as the RT's but she did report that it was much more comfortable than without.

221036574-L.jpg

Here's Iz hugging the GSA during a rest stop by the Big Creek Bridge on Hwy 1. Her posture would indicate that the back pad is working.

221037526-XL.jpg

Found this lonely F650 in some of Carmel's dedicated motorcycle parking. Nice.

221039032-L.jpg

There were hundreds of people at Carmel Beach on Sunday, but I managed to get this shot with no one in it. Believe me, they were there.

221041764-L.jpg

221040083-L.jpg

221040390-L.jpg

Random Carmel beauty. If you go in for the "charming European village" sort of thing, Carmel is your place. Getting expensive, though. We go about every 9 months or so, and it's noticeably higher every time we go.

221042815-L.jpg

This was our first visit to San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission, a fascinating historical structure.

221046096-L.jpg

Among other things, it is the final resting place of Fray Junipero Serra.

Views from the San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission

221047421-XL.jpg

221044247-L.jpg

221045366-L.jpg

221047162-XL.jpg

221048721-XL.jpg

221049325-XL.jpg

I don't know if it's because I was raised in the Catholic Church or because as a Californian 4th grader I studied the missions, but I found this site fascinating and would recommend it as a worthwhile stop for anyone interested in church or California history.

221049960-L.jpg

Took a cruise through some Monterey neighborhoods on Monday morning before heading back home.

221050481-L.jpg

The trip to Carmel is worth it, if for no other reason than you can ride Hwy 1 to get there and take this road, Carmel Valley Road, to get home. Miles and miles of tree-lined canopy and twists and turns aplenty. Fun, fun, fun.

221051809-L.jpg

Inspired by San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo Mission, while cruising down the 101, I checked "attractions" on the Zumo and found I was right by Mission San Miguel. Here's Iz posing during a all-too-brief rest stop.

No sooner than it began, it was over. Not enough time to plan or to enjoy, we had a pretty good time nonetheless. It's back to work but we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and our school years will soon be a memory.

Thanks for looking. What few photos remain can be seen here.

Last edited:
very nice, no surprise that the photography is exceptional. :clap You're right about the old Euro feel/look to those missions. The big Players always get buried INSIDE the church.

Looks like typical beautiful CA weather and a nice winter swell. It's snowing here......

nice report and great pics! :thumb

I love that part of the state. And yes, I think every school kid in California has heard the story of the missions and took a field trip or two to visit them. I still get a kick out of seeing them, too.

I absolutely love Carmel. When we go down there for MotoGP, we always stay in Carmel Valley, though I've stayed downtown as well as at the Highland Lodge, a bit further south on 1.

The Chop House is probably my favorite place to eat. We've never had a bad meal there.

Nice photos. For those unfamiliar with California, the mission photos and the whole mission story can be a surprise. Right about the time the Revolutionary War was being fought back east, the Catholic church was settling California.

The Chop House is probably my favorite place to eat. We've never had a bad meal there.

Not Kurt's? Ate there Saturday night and had the worst steakhouse meal I'd ever had. I'm willing to suppose that it wasn't typical, but my filet was overcooked by double and Iz's was like rubber.

That was great!! Loved the photos! Nice set up on your GSA.

You've inspired me to buy about five acres of beach front property in Carmel and settle there.

If you have to ask.............

You've inspired me to buy about five acres of beach front property in Carmel and settle there.

as the old saying goes...........you can't afford it.

Beautiful area. nice report.

Thanks for sharing

Great stuff, Tom! :thumb

Haven't been to Carmel in about 15 years, but it's beauty is hard to forget and you captured some of it perfectly.

Thanks!

Thanks, all. I DO enjoy sharing photos, especially to such an appreciative audience.

Great photos! I've got friends who travel to Europe for shots like some of those. Sounds like a nice trip. It's always fun when it's a little bit too short and you can start thinking about what you'll do the next time. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Back