• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Filters for Hexheads

Great points guys. I was firing from the hip so to speak, although I still don't see the 'religious' value that often gets brought into these debates.

I do still think though that finding substitutes is a worthwhile project (although not an urgent one). Let's say your filter (exposed on the bottom of the bike) gets damaged someplace hundreds of miles from the nearest Temple Of BMW...

And on a purely humourous note, I'd like to know how many oil-changes Burnzy did before Chi-BMW actually shipped his filters, based on my experiences with those guys. :laugh
Funny. I'm still waiting for them but I have 2000 miles until my next oil change.:)

What he said.

I remember one post years back when someone complained that a crush washer cost 50 cents. Huh? Sheesh, with inflation that could be 60 cents now!

What he said.

Those are the prices at Ride West BMW.

R1200R Oil Filter - $15.79.
Crush Washer - ?ó49 - Hoorah! It's not that bad.

I don't know if it's true, but apparently, if your motorcycle is still under warranty, you can't use anything but OEM filters, recommended for a specific model-year.
If you do, you are going to loose your warranty.

Hey wait til you hear this one...I ordered an extra key for my R1200RT since they give you one metal key and one plastic I figured why not right? $49 bucks at dealer cost since it listed for $60 for a key!!

I think after that deal I will be taking our turkey back and getting two cans of spam for Thanksgiving.

Cheap??

Hi all,

Just bought a case of BMW oil and one filter for my '07 'GS..... guess I am "cheap" 'cuz the thought that I just paid $78 for them struck me as assinine. Perhaps I did spend $18K for my motor, but that doesn't mean I will continue to pay outlandish prices to not be called "cheap". How many of the guys that say I only buy genuine filters, damn the price turn around and buy mobil One oil or some other brand? BMW does not make filter, nor oil. I would think that if the oil meets the standards, it will work. I change my oil at 3000 miles and $60 bucks for an oil change I do myself is crazy. So, guess I am cheap, but it gives me more money for gas to ride......

Jeff:violin

Hi all,

Just bought a case of BMW oil and one filter for my '07 'GS..... guess I am "cheap" 'cuz the thought that I just paid $78 for them struck me as assinine. Perhaps I did spend $18K for my motor, but that doesn't mean I will continue to pay outlandish prices to not be called "cheap". How many of the guys that say I only buy genuine filters, damn the price turn around and buy mobil One oil or some other brand? BMW does not make filter, nor oil. I would think that if the oil meets the standards, it will work. I change my oil at 3000 miles and $60 bucks for an oil change I do myself is crazy. So, guess I am cheap, but it gives me more money for gas to ride......

Jeff:violin
Jeff,

I'm trying to understand your logic here..

BMW doesn't make oil. Correct - the specify the characteristics of the oil, and if any oil meets the specifications it's fine to use.

BMW doesn't make filters. Correct again - and again - they have specified the characteristics of their filters. Do you know of an aftermarket one that is less expensive to buy that meets their specifications? Figure I'll look a bit..

I just went through the Purlolator, Fram, Hastings, Wix and AC-Delco websites.. nada. Zilch. No listings for the R1200 engines. AC-Delco did have one for the R1150R 2003 engine, but that was it..

K&N lists one - KN-164 - but no price for it that I can find. Looks like it will be a reasonable choice: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KN-164 - but what's the price? Less/more than BMW's?

Here is an interesting webpage:
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/index.shtml

And take a look at the BMW filter:
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/bmw.shtml
Then a K&N (not spec'd for BMW):
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/kandn.shtml
And someone elses.. like Fram:
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/fram.shtml

Dunno about you - but I know what I'd want filtering my oil. Have to see what the price of the K&N KN-164 is..

Found it: http://www.4filters.com/Oil-Filter-OIL-FILTER-POWERSPORTS_p_0-6476.html - $15.00 + shipping. OrL http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=AML&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KN-164 - $13.50 + shipping, or finally on Ebay - http://search.express.ebay.com/Vehi...ries_?_from=R40&_trksid=m51&_nkw=KN-164&_nd1= $13.00 + $5.00 shipping.

Doesn't seem like a big savings over buying them from a dealer, or if you're patient from Chicago BMW.. If you really want to save $$$ - you might consider doing 6,000 mile oil changes AS RECOMMENDED by BMW - and save yourself $60 or so.. (and if you're worried about the oil - spend $25 and have an oil analysis done at 3,000 miles..) unless you're only riding 3,000 miles a year and then I guess you're stuck with the 3,000 mile annual oil change.

Please 'splain what you're trying to achieve here..

I don't know if it's true, but apparently, if your motorcycle is still under warranty, you can't use anything but OEM filters, recommended for a specific model-year.
If you do, you are going to loose your warranty.

Nope. Magnusson-Moss does not permit a vehicle manufacturer to require that only its proprietary parts and supplies be used, only that OEM-equivalent ones be used. The problem, of course, that anything non-BMW gives BMW at least arguing room that the non-standard part caused the problem. For that reason, many use BMW parts during the warranty period.

Logic?

Hi Don,

The logic I was trying to show was many riders say they won't use anything but genuine BMW filters cause its the best, but then will put any old oil in to be filtered. It would seem, as was mentioned, that as long as the unit meets the specs, it should be okay to use. I know that the mechanics say that the "relief valve" is critical, or the "cooling effect" of the filter is important, or it will void the warranty if not BMW and so on. But, most of us drive auto's (very infrequently) that cost more than our Beemers, but we don't mandate the use of Motorcraft or Autolite filters, even though they are spec'd by the manufacturer's. If we talk about how much our bikes cost, then it is a cost thing and the logical conclusion would be to use only manufacturer spec'd filters, oil, tires, and so on. I agree, the BMW parts are good, but like I said, $60 for a home done oil change really seems steep to me.... but then, I thought I was wrong once before....

Jeff:thumb

Hi Jeff!

Hi Don,

The logic I was trying to show was many riders say they won't use anything but genuine BMW filters cause its the best, but then will put any old oil in to be filtered. It would seem, as was mentioned, that as long as the unit meets the specs, it should be okay to use. I know that the mechanics say that the "relief valve" is critical, or the "cooling effect" of the filter is important, or it will void the warranty if not BMW and so on. But, most of us drive auto's (very infrequently) that cost more than our Beemers, but we don't mandate the use of Motorcraft or Autolite filters, even though they are spec'd by the manufacturer's.
:) Actually - I drive BMW cars also, and only use BMW specified oil (in my M3 - Castrol 10W-60 synthetic from Germany, in my 525i - BMW labeled 5W-30) and BMW filters. I had bad experiences with aftermarket filters - where they basically were bypassed due to crappy construction, so.. given the cost of the car, I stick with BMW products. Funny thing is - the BMW parts are generally no more expensive than aftermarket stuff if I get the BMW-Car Club of America discount most car dealers give for belonging to the club (10-20%).
If we talk about how much our bikes cost, then it is a cost thing and the logical conclusion would be to use only manufacturer spec'd filters, oil, tires, and so on. I agree, the BMW parts are good, but like I said, $60 for a home done oil change really seems steep to me.... but then, I thought I was wrong once before....

Jeff:thumb
As far as the cost - given the overall cost of owning a BMW bike - $60 every 6,000 miles is pretty much down in the noise for me. I'll need two oil changes a year (at 6,000 miles per change). One day/night on the road costs more than that now. Over the time I'll own the bike (I average 5 years) - we're talking about $600. Small change since the bike depreciated $3,000 the minute it rolled out of the showroom.. and especially small change if the bike remains reliable. That's especially true if you consider how little of that I could save by using aftermarket parts and oil.

I'd really suggest it worthwhile to have at least one oil analysis done to see if your current oil change schedule is realistic. Blackstone Labs is one of my favorites - they provide a detailed analysis and advice for a nominal charge - about 1/2 of what you spend for one oil change. You can request a free test kit - and then send it back in for the analyis. I think it might give you confidence to extend your change interval to the BMW recommended 6,000 mile one..

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Best - and rubber side down!

I'm sort of looking toward using Mobil-1 15w50 once the break in period is through. I can't seem to think that even buying spectro (the maker of BMW oil) would be worth the money. Any other logic to this? I will be buying the MW-75 Mann oil filters from BeemerBoneyard since they are the maker of the BMW oem. I found they have a 4 pack for $49.00 plus shipping.

R1200R Oil and Filters

TGA57589, it's worth knowing that there is no, one motorcycle or auto company making everything entirely by themselves.
Bear in mind, however that parts and accesories made for BMW motorcycles must meet very specific and high-standard requirements.
In other words, for example, oil filters must meet different criteria for BMW motorcycles than their generic siblings rated for universal use.
Same goes to oil. Golden Spectro (for North America) supplies oil for BMW motorcycles. But, the content of additives and chemical balance required by BMW is totally different from what you buy for general motorcycle use. It's not as simple as it looks. And once again, it brings the questions if few dollars difference in price is worth messing with.

Datapoint:

Bought a hexhead oil filter yesterday at local friendly dealers open-house. 10% discount = $14.44. Also bought 4 quarts of 15W-50 synthetic - $9.77/quart, and one quart of 75W-140 tranmission oil, $14.87. Crush ring - $0.84.

I'm sort of looking toward using Mobil-1 15w50 once the break in period is through. I can't seem to think that even buying spectro (the maker of BMW oil) would be worth the money. Any other logic to this? I will be buying the MW-75 Mann oil filters from BeemerBoneyard since they are the maker of the BMW oem. I found they have a 4 pack for $49.00 plus shipping.
While I have nothing but respect for Mike at BeemerBoneyard - and while MANN is sometimes a manufacturer of BMW filters (they are not the ONLY manufacturer BMW uses..) - do you have a listing that specifically says this MANN filter is spec'd for the hexhead?

I couldn't find any motorcycle listings at their US website: http://www.mann-hummel.com/mf_prodkata_usa/index.html?ktlg_page=11&ktlg_lang=1

At $49.00 + shipping, not a big saving over what I paid $14.44 (x4) = $57.76 (no shipping charge), or not counting shipping - $2.19 per filter?

BTW - Chicago BMW sells at 20% off list - which would make the filters $13.60 each vs $12.25 for the Mann filter. It doesn't seem the savings is significant to me.. but I guess some people are on a lot tighter budget than I am.

TGA57589, it's worth knowing that there is no, one motorcycle or auto company making everything entirely by themselves.
Bear in mind, however that parts and accesories made for BMW motorcycles must meet very specific and high-standard requirements.
In other words, for example, oil filters must meet different criteria for BMW motorcycles than their generic siblings rated for universal use.
Same goes to oil. Golden Spectro (for North America) supplies oil for BMW motorcycles. But, the content of additives and chemical balance required by BMW is totally different from what you buy for general motorcycle use. It's not as simple as it looks. And once again, it brings the questions if few dollars difference in price is worth messing with.

Ok, I think I have read all the entries here before tossing in my 49 cents. Having worked for a BMW auto dealer, as well as Toyota, GM, Ford and Hyundai, I will tell you this. EVERY manufacturer buys at what they consider to be an "optimum" price when weighed against quailty. That quality is derived by lab testing and field testing. If a product passes the lab test and is the cheapest to purchase, that's the supplier that gets used. If, once in the field, the product begins failing-- they switch suppliers. I can name numerous times a product has passed the lab test but failed the field test. Keep in mind, passing the lab test means, a failure rate that is below a certain percent of the tested components. Delphi (Delco) alternaters on Toyota Corollas for example. Failed at the 10-20K mileage at a rate so predictable that Toyota dropped them and instructed dealers to replace all Delphi alternaters, when they failed, with Denso units-- and, extended the warranty replacement period on the Delphi alternater. Ditto BMW window regulators, light bulbs and probably a few other items.
I am not looking for cheaper-- I am looking for better than "optimum" performance. If I wanted only "optimum" I wouldn't spend the extra money on synthetic oil. Or drive 100 miles round trip to buy what I thnk (and some authority claims) is the best gear oil. Everyone knows that, generally, BMW parts cost more simply because they say BMW. Ditto other brands. That doesn't make them "the best, it simply makes them-- "not the worst"
Living in Dayton, Ohio we do not have a BMW motorcycle dealer. Cincinnati's dealer went out of business. That leaves a 140 mile trip to Columbus or, the internet. So, besides wanting the very best oil filter, I also want one I can buy without waiting 7-10 days, paying shipping cost or driving 140 miles.
I read the Cal-SCI test and his opinion on Pure ONE oil filters. I went to the Purolator website and they list a filter number ML16825. The Cal Sci guy says it's part number PL25230. Is one their regular filter and the other the Pure One filter??
I noticed that Purolator is now considered to be a joint venture between
Mann-Hummel and Bosch.
I checked at the local Auto Zone and they can get me one the next day. But, they want $16.95. Same price as the BMW filter (by the way, went with a friend to a Harley dealer-- he bought an oil filter-- OEM with the Harley Logo on it, for $13.95 plus tax-- and IT WAS CHROME!!).
So, now I am not sure which Purolator oil filter to get for my '04 R1150RT. I don't want the cheapest, I want the best. I want to use the Pure One filter. Does anyone here use the Pure One? And, if so, what part number?

thanks!

How high will you go?

I just bought a new GSA at 22000$ and I have limits, where I ask questions. Just because I paid a premium for a bike, does this mean I have to walk straight into a raw deal, regarding service parts, etcetc.. Research is a good thing and I love reading what folks find out in these posts. I know one thing, the Euro$ is killing the US$ and one might consider buying some of these filters, etc. in bulk, because they will go UP! I feel the filter deal at the prices they are getting is a sign of things coming and its not going to get any cheaper, unless we simply don't buy anymore. Filters for 15-20$ is an insult, but what else in your life has changed? Milk is twice and three times as much, butter,cheese and numerous other tidbits in our lives are two and three times as much as in just "recent" years. How about your health insurance$$$???. I am on the edge with my dollars and stretching them is the only way. I just bought a pricey new BMW, but I've been riding them for 30+ years. I'll tell you, this is probably my last new one! I cannot afford new anymore, after this and retire. The oil filters go 6000 miles, according to some dealers, changing oil every 3000 still. I've heard this countless times, so is it true all over? This is a savings indeed and takes some of the pain away from a 20$ filter:). I did this most recently with my K1200LT, every 6000 miles on the filter and oil at 3000. The mini R filter on the '07 is half the size! Seems 6000 miles may be too long? Randy13233

Ok, I think I have read all the entries here before tossing in my 49 cents. Having worked for a BMW auto dealer, as well as Toyota, GM, Ford and Hyundai, I will tell you this. EVERY manufacturer buys at what they consider to be an "optimum" price when weighed against quailty. That quality is derived by lab testing and field testing. If a product passes the lab test and is the cheapest to purchase, that's the supplier that gets used. If, once in the field, the product begins failing-- they switch suppliers. I can name numerous times a product has passed the lab test but failed the field test. Keep in mind, passing the lab test means, a failure rate that is below a certain percent of the tested components. Delphi (Delco) alternaters on Toyota Corollas for example. Failed at the 10-20K mileage at a rate so predictable that Toyota dropped them and instructed dealers to replace all Delphi alternaters, when they failed, with Denso units-- and, extended the warranty replacement period on the Delphi alternater. Ditto BMW window regulators, light bulbs and probably a few other items.
I am not looking for cheaper-- I am looking for better than "optimum" performance. If I wanted only "optimum" I wouldn't spend the extra money on synthetic oil. Or drive 100 miles round trip to buy what I thnk (and some authority claims) is the best gear oil. Everyone knows that, generally, BMW parts cost more simply because they say BMW. Ditto other brands. That doesn't make them "the best, it simply makes them-- "not the worst"
Living in Dayton, Ohio we do not have a BMW motorcycle dealer. Cincinnati's dealer went out of business. That leaves a 140 mile trip to Columbus or, the internet. So, besides wanting the very best oil filter, I also want one I can buy without waiting 7-10 days, paying shipping cost or driving 140 miles.
I read the Cal-SCI test and his opinion on Pure ONE oil filters. I went to the Purolator website and they list a filter number ML16825. The Cal Sci guy says it's part number PL25230. Is one their regular filter and the other the Pure One filter??
I noticed that Purolator is now considered to be a joint venture between
Mann-Hummel and Bosch.
I checked at the local Auto Zone and they can get me one the next day. But, they want $16.95. Same price as the BMW filter (by the way, went with a friend to a Harley dealer-- he bought an oil filter-- OEM with the Harley Logo on it, for $13.95 plus tax-- and IT WAS CHROME!!).
So, now I am not sure which Purolator oil filter to get for my '04 R1150RT. I don't want the cheapest, I want the best. I want to use the Pure One filter. Does anyone here use the Pure One? And, if so, what part number?

thanks!

The PL25230 is on sale at Amazon right now, two for $11.99. The photo of the filter clearly shows it is the Pure One filter. I ordered a pair for my R1200RT, added a book, get free shipping. I am relying on CalSci's comment that it fits and works.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H7XJPE

I'm not going to say that you need to support your local dealer and buy his oil filters. But just that being a BMW dealer is not an easy business in spite of the cost of the parts, labor, and of course the bikes. I don't think the dealer or BMW is overcharging for oil filters. And as far as quality, I don't think I ever heard of any problems with the oem filter. So I think it is safe to say that they are not the worst. The market is small, and naturally one should expect the dealer to carry oem oil filters. So the price is high compared to what WalMart gets for the millions of Fram filters that they sell. Big surprise.
For the two bikes we ride on trips, I change the oil every 6K miles...maybe twice a year each. Something like $68/year for oil filters from the local dealer. It's just not worth the sweat to beat this into the ground looking for 5 dollar filters.

The PL25230 is on sale at Amazon right now, two for $11.99. The photo of the filter clearly shows it is the Pure One filter. I ordered a pair for my R1200RT, added a book, get free shipping. I am relying on CalSci's comment that it fits and works.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H7XJPE

Thanks-- I did some more research-- the PL10241 is the shorter of the two-- I want as much filtration as I can get-- is the length an issue? I'm not going off roading (hopefully-- at least not on purpose) anytime soon, so--- if it's not a big deal, I'm getting the longer one.
I am calling my local Advance Auto today to see what they will quote me.
But, even $11.99 for two, plus shipping (or buy two for the car and 4 for the bike) is cheaper than the $16.95 they originally quoted me when the clerk looked it up.

A book store for motorcycle oil filters........... what's the world coming to!!:laugh

note added.

$5.88 each for the PL10241. The PL25230 is $8.68.
Relying on others opinions (Toby Creek, CALSCI) it appears I can purchase a superior product for 1/3 to 1/2 the price of my local (HA!! 70 miles away) dealer. Even if the price was the same, or slightly higher, I would still buy the superior product. And this from a staunch O.E. guy!!!

What IS the world coming to??

Not to be too pointed, but when you spend $20K on a bike, how can you complain about $2 on a filter? :ha

So by that thought pattern it is ok to pay 3 or 4 hundred 3 times a year for servicing on the bike because you dropped 18k on the thing new... hmmm how much did your car cost and where do get it serviced and do you always buy the most expensive parts you can find? Remember most expensive does not equal best quality.

While I adhere to neither the "only OEM" nor the "big bucks is better" philosophies, one thing I have learned in life is "real cheap is probably real cheap."

One thing about manufacturing and retail is some make profit via quantity and some make profit via price... dealers are in the price category.

Back