Thread: Vintage Airhead mechanics/shops Los Angeles area?

Vintage Airhead mechanics/shops Los Angeles area?

I'm looking for a good mechanic/shop to look over and perform some work on a 1969 R60US. Someone recommended Black Kat Motorworks in Venice. I've called and left messages several times but have yet to hear back from them. Anyone know whats up with them or have a good experience with another shop in the L.A. area that you would recommend ?

In my opinion;

Rick at Black Kat is a good old school airhead guy. He is swamped, but he's there 7 days a week, so you could just drop by. theres always a bunch of cool bikes to see.

Theres also Mitch's in Torrance, but I have no experience there.

Avoid at all cost Angel City Cycle, in my experience [and that of others I have spoken to], he is both very dishonest and largely incompetent. He's not an "airhead" kind of guy at all, if that makes sense.

hope that helps

is rick?

I wonder; is Rick the guy who used to run a small shop out of his garage couple blocks N of Sunset and East of Laurel Cyn? Maybe 15 years ago there was a fellow there. Seemed a decent guy, and there were often several BMW riders parked in front before or after a ride. My only exp is a couple minor insp type visits and it's too far in the past to recall the name.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

[QUOTE=benway;257274]In my opinion;

Rick at Black Kat is a good old school airhead guy. He is swamped, but he's there 7 days a week, so you could just drop by. theres always a bunch of cool bikes to see.

Thanks. Have you been by Black Kat recently ? Haven't received any response via phone or email.

I bought a helmet at the Honda Dealer in Glendale and the guy at the counter told me there is a guy named Woody in that area that works on the older airheads. Anyone know of him?

saw Rick on sunday. I don't call usually, just drop by.

don't know about woody.

hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by benway View Post
    In my opinion;

Theres also Mitch's in Torrance, but I have no experience there.

Avoid at all cost Angel City Cycle, in my experience [and that of others I have spoken to], he is both very dishonest and largely incompetent. He's not an "airhead" kind of guy at all, if that makes sense.

hope that helps
    Wow, sounds like you had a badddd experience with JR at Angle City. I've had 4 great experiences. He's a certified BMW Mechinic. I've seen his certs. He rebuilds /2 engines & trans for Rick at Black Kat. JR isn't much on returning calls though. He has no shortage of work, a sign that he's obviously doing something right, eh? rick bittle

Hooked up, Thanks!

Got a chance to ride cross town to Venice Sunday. Found a sign that said architecture and motorcycles on a non-descript industrial building on Victoria Ave. Rode around to the alley behind the building and I saw a row of various /2's and other old airheads. The man in the mechanics overalls eyes lit up and he gave a smile when he saw my r-60 and I knew I had found the right place. Rick was able to spend some time giving the bike a once over, fixed a couple of minor problems, I ordered some new tires and we made arrangements to put the tires on and do a couple of other repairs the following sunday. A very satisfying experience from my perspective.
    Rick said the machinist/mechanic that had been working with him got a great opportunity and left recently and he's been a bit overwhelmed keeping up with demand. He was trying to finish up a restoration for the Petersen Collection that afternoon.
    Thanks for encouraging me to stop by

Black Kat Motor Werks

Hi Gregoir, glad you could get ahold of Rick at Black Kat. He's a great guy. I could talk to him all day but try to limit my conversations so he can actually get some work done. Rick