• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Key" to my frustration

B

buckeyeclark

Bike Looks great and runs like a top; however, the last few times that I have stuck the key in the ignition I have a hell of a time getting the key to turn! :banghead It will turn a little and then stops like there is something in the ignition stopping the key from turning. I have been able to keep trying to turn it and after 10 to 20 attempts it will finally turn.

Anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

1988 K100RT

Thanks,

Bike Looks great and runs like a top; however, the last few times that I have stuck the key in the ignition I have a hell of a time getting the key to turn! :banghead It will turn a little and then stops like there is something in the ignition stopping the key from turning. I have been able to keep trying to turn it and after 10 to 20 attempts it will finally turn.

Anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

1988 K100RT

Thanks,

That happens with BMW locks often. It will turn out to be one of four things:

1. The lock is dirty. Try some lock oil down the keyhole, then insert and remove the key a dozen or so times.

2. The little sliding pieces are worn - so that when the key is inserted they don't move to the correct, lined up position. In this case you can get and replace any of the sliding pieces that are worn. This is futzy work but it can be done.

3. The key is worn. In this case too, the sliding pieces will not be correctly aligned. This is tricky unless you have an unworn key to copy.

4. The switch (not the lock above the switch) has worn contacts or something else that is causing roughness and binding when you turn the key. In this case the switch part needs to be replaced (or repaired - if you are brave and good).

key problems

Buckeye:

My locksmith advised me to not use WD - 40; in his experience it may gum up the mechanism. He uses a silicone spray lube called Miracle Mist, which is amazing stuff. Once it's in the key lock, gently work the key from side to side, and hopefully it will free up.

I have to do this every few months in the winter with the tailgate lock on my station wagon, which gets balky from salted mist being pulled in with the turbulence behind the car. The Miracle Mist will free it right up, but you have to be gentle with the mechanism.

I would think that motorcycle ignition locks are going to have a certain amount of misted crud being pulled in over time, with the turbulence behind the front windscreen and bodywork.

Rinty

Back