• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 Gillette National - attending or not?

2008 Gillette National - Attending, not attending, not sure?

• Attending

Votes: 138 52.1%
  • Not Attending

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • Not sure yet.....

Votes: 63 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My wife and I have tried to make it to the last three or four rallies, they are always too far for our time to trek to. When we missed again on the 07 rally and heard it was in Gillette we were very happy.

I would like to re-butt all those that think Wy is flat - it isn't. There are many many hills in the area called flat by WY standards. For those that say it's a long way away - well so are you from us. To those that complain about the scenery - you need your eyes checked. To Those with GS's more roads here then you can ride in a summer (when the snow flies they don't plow many of them).

As far as Gillette goes- boom town no housing and motels are always full - all year around. During the summer it gets worse too many tourists on the way to Yellowstone. I am camping at Camplex, if at all possible, SD is 90 minutes away, near Belle are many cheap places to stay, and you can take the two lane roads all the way to Gillette. I live in Douglas but it is 120+ miles to Camplex through some of the most amazing mule dear and antelope you can see - some are real up close and personal. So I won't be riding from here.

Remember, The 4 legged critters out number all the locals and the tourists combined, I have killed with my k100 two rabbits the size of dogs and one thankfully small antelope- so keep your eyes open and your speed down at least at night and close to sunset/sunrise.

We're glad you can make it. If this is your 1st rally....be prepared for the welcoming committee.:whistle

Thanks for all the info about the area, and the heads up about the wildlife. Are you sure those 2 rabbits weren't the elusive "jackalopes"??

We're looking forward to partying in your neighborhood... The visits I've made during the last couple of months have been great. The enthusiasm of the local members and the staff at the Cam-Plex will certainly help us during the planning part of the rally. During one of my visits (in a rental car:( ) locals stopped twice to offer assistance while I was parked on the side of the road, making notes or taking pics. Hospitality's been great and LuLus caramel rolls are to die for!!:thumb

I think I'm going to have to change my vote from a maybe to a "yes"; I was threatened at the board meeting when I didn't raise my hand fully when they asked who was attending. :uhoh

I was lucky enough to make it out alive...

Now....if we could just get higher member attendance at the April BoD meeting.......we'll have a record rally attendance:dance

Good to finally meet you Josh!!:wave and thanks for the input. (hope we weren't toooooo threatening :rolleyes

We're glad you can make it. If this is your 1st rally....be prepared for the welcoming committee.:whistle

Thanks for all the info about the area, and the heads up about the wildlife. Are you sure those 2 rabbits weren't the elusive "jackalopes"??

We're looking forward to partying in your neighborhood... The visits I've made during the last couple of months have been great. The enthusiasm of the local members and the staff at the Cam-Plex will certainly help us during the planning part of the rally. During one of my visits (in a rental car:( ) locals stopped twice to offer assistance while I was parked on the side of the road, making notes or taking pics. Hospitality's been great and LuLus caramel rolls are to die for!!:thumb

Douglas IS the Jackalope capital of the world - the ACTUAL place the legend comes from. These were females - no horns.

You should also know that most Jack rabbits of the kind In WY have horn patches on there heads just like dear and such it's just that they seem to be "turned off", so there may be truth to the legend after all.

Prior comittment to my wife to take her sailing in Canada prevents me from attending. But, I sure as heck wish I could find a way to do both just to show some (one) constant bitch'r on this forum that he is just wrong.

BTW Saw the rally logo at the Board meeting last weekend. Fantastic.

Prior comittment to my wife to take her sailing in Canada prevents me from attending. But, I sure as heck wish I could find a way to do both just to show some (one) constant bitch'r on this forum that he is just wrong.

Soon to be released......another Tessler original!!

Hey, Gillette's on the way to Canada

BTW-who's in charge of smilies???? I saw a cowboy smilie....can we get that added??

Karol, you tease us with your hints..

When prey tell will we know more about said Rally?

Don't knoiw if I should bring my fishing pole and my dancing shoes or just my fishing pole?

Axiously waiting,

-a rider of the purple sage

Sailing lakeside or meandering to coastal waters? If you ever sail on the coast then anchor in to Larry's River. Scallops await! We are not sailers but we have the facilities. -Bob

Sailing lakeside or meandering to coastal waters? If you ever sail on the coast then anchor in to Larry's River. Scallops await! We are not sailers but we have the facilities. -Bob

Thanks for the invite Bob.

Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron. Spent two weeks there last summer after the Rally. Wife loved it so much I promised to take her back.

Love Canada, love Canadians. Friendly, helpful folks.

I should change mine to: I plan on being there. I have the vacation time slotted, and the venerable RT will make it. If I take the /7, I will have to work really hard on it this winter, and I am not sure I am up to that. Not to mention, it has no fairing, and I am getting old. The R50 would be ideal, but I hear there are some hills in between. Not to mention, nobody even gave it a second glance when I entered it at West Bend.
What can I say, I ride my old motorcycles. Hard.

Ride a F650 GS from Ohio to Wyoming ?

I'm a new member to BMWOA and would love to go to the rally. I'm still a new rider ( less than 4,000 miles in 2 years). I'm not sure the F650GS would be that comfortable doing 2 1/2 days trip of 500 miles per day from Ohio. If I go it would be nice to have a company during the trip. I will be camping if I go. And I'd like to avoid I-80.

Thanks for the invite Bob.

Sailing the North Channel of Lake Huron. Spent two weeks there last summer after the Rally. Wife loved it so much I promised to take her back.

Love Canada, love Canadians. Friendly, helpful folks.

Bud, if you have the time, take a look at launching somewhere on Lake Ontario and traversing the Trent-Severn Waterway across Canada. And then, you can daysail back down the lakes to the trailer.

If you did it latter in the year, the Fall colors would be spectacular, and you could make the rally. Besides, I was there in July, and the water was still cold. Tell your wife August is much warmer. After your week in Gillette, you'll probably welcome some cool water to soak in.:wave

Tom

Punching through the center of the Rockies on the way up from Texas, I'll be there. It will be my first national. I do like wide open spaces, and I am looking forward to it!

Cool!

Looking forward to meeting a fellow Texan! We'll be at Camp G.E.A.R.S.

See you there!

Voni
sMiling

Bud, if you have the time, take a look at launching somewhere on Lake Ontario and traversing the Trent-Severn Waterway across Canada. And then, you can daysail back down the lakes to the trailer.

If you did it latter in the year, the Fall colors would be spectacular, and you could make the rally. Besides, I was there in July, and the water was still cold. Tell your wife August is much warmer. After your week in Gillette, you'll probably welcome some cool water to soak in.:wave

Tom

Sorry I missed your reply.

We belong to the Trailer Sailor Association which holds an annual trip the last two weeks in July. Always the last two weeks in July. Doesn't change, won't change.

So while your suggestion is a good one, it's not possible.

But we have looked at the Trent-Severn as a possible separate trip. Looks wonderful.

Back