• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 Gillette National - attending or not?

2008 Gillette National - Attending, not attending, not sure?

• Attending

Votes: 138 52.1%
  • Not Attending

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • Not sure yet.....

Votes: 63 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A possible maybe

I did the Sherpa camping at West Bend and hope to do it again in Gillette. Still up in the air about my schedule.:boldpurpl

I am riding the CDT and hope to make a side trip to the National...:dance

Sheep, you say? *said Roy, wondering what exactly he had missed, and if maybe he should be grateful he did*

Mostly kidnapping and extortion were all you missed! But she ought to be right at home in Gillette. Not too far from Gillette, south of Buffalo, riding through Crazy Woman Canyon Voni and I came up behind a herd of a few hundred sheep, being herded by several guys on horseback. One of them said, "Just ride slowly through them, and whatever you do don't honk your horn or we'll be chasing them in the hills all night." So I proceeded straight through the herd at slow speed. In the middle I thought about honking the horn, but then remembered the rifles in the riders' scabbards and thought better of the idea.

Attachments

• Rally 2.jpg
    Rally 2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 211
I was in;) and now I'm not ,my vacation was cancelled for the time needed to attend. Still hoping and crying to get it reinstated:blah

Keep crying, and maybe you'll be so sick.....you can take sick leave:laugh

Seriously, hope it works out, and we see you in Gillette!

Mostly kidnapping and extortion were all you missed! But she ought to be right at home in Gillette. Not too far from Gillette, south of Buffalo, riding through Crazy Woman Canyon Voni and I came up behind a herd of a few hundred sheep, being herded by several guys on horseback. One of them said, "Just ride slowly through them, and whatever you do don't honk your horn or we'll be chasing them in the hills all night." So I proceeded straight through the herd at slow speed. In the middle I thought about honking the horn, but then remembered the rifles in the riders' scabbards and thought better of the idea.
:laugh I had cows near Ten Sleep. We had to stop though.

Kidnapping and extortion? I thought I was bad to the bone for gettin' yelled at for making noise at 12:45 a.m.. I have got nothing on those guys. ( Is that the sheep? She is rather pretty.:laugh)

I had planed on going, but the WA State Guzzi campout at Randle is the same weekend. Weekend in the forest near Mt St Helens vs weekend in Gillette. Where is the 09 BMW Rally going to be????? Maybe I go to that one.

I'll be there. I'm going out early in the week to follow a bicycle ride, the Tour de Wyoming, and then I'll jump back across the state for the rally. Should be a good one!

Don Sprinkle
Charlotte NC
R1150GS

My wife and I will be attending our first rally of any sort in Gillette. I'm looking forward to it and the ride to and from Gillette.

No way

Because I would have to ride through West Texas to get there.

:dunno

I'll be there. I'm going out early in the week to follow a bicycle ride, the Tour de Wyoming, and then I'll jump back across the state for the rally. Should be a good one! Don Sprinkle
Charlotte NC R1150GS

Sounds like a fun trip. Both events include 2 wheels! How many riders participate in the Tour de Wyoming?? Maybe we should include a notice in our rally coverage to alert our motorized 2 wheelers about the more vulnerable 2 wheelers

See you in Gillette

I think I'm going to have to change my vote from a maybe to a "yes"; I was threatened at the board meeting when I didn't raise my hand fully when they asked who was attending. :uhoh

I was lucky enough to make it out alive...

I'll be there

Lets get some feedback from the membership, who is attending, not attending, not sure yet?

I plan on being there to see what WY has to offer. I'll be comming from VT
so will put on quite a few miles getting there. Anyone want to ride together?

Msfladue

I wouldn't want to miss this one...or any of them for that matter. For those of you attending your first MOA International Rally, be warned that it may easily become an annual event for you. I suggest volunteering for a shift at any of the many volunteer positions to increase the fun and meet a lot of nice folks. Most importantly, ride safe and plan on having a good time.

I live here I will attend!

My wife and I have tried to make it to the last three or four rallies, they are always too far for our time to trek to. When we missed again on the 07 rally and heard it was in Gillette we were very happy.

I would like to re-butt all those that think Wy is flat - it isn't. There are many many hills in the area called flat by WY standards. For those that say it's a long way away - well so are you from us. To those that complain about the scenery - you need your eyes checked. To Those with GS's more roads here then you can ride in a summer (when the snow flies they don't plow many of them).

As Far as HD riders - most are seen in town at the bar, few on roads unless in side trailer or pickup. For a bike that built a rep as a rebel ride sure is allot of conformity in that crowd...

As far as Gillette goes- boom town no housing and motels are always full - all year around. During the summer it gets worse too many tourists on the way to Yellowstone. I am camping at Camplex, if at all possible, other wise I will commute- the local campgrounds are quite expensive and mostly occupied by monthly renters working the energy boom in the area that includes Buffalo WY. SD is 90 minutes away, near Belle are many cheap places to stay, and you can take the two lane roads all the way to Gillette. I live in Douglas but it is 120+ miles to Camplex through some of the most amazing mule dear and antelope you can see - some are real up close and personal. So I won't be riding from here.

Those that do come bring your cold and hot weather gear - some days at 6000+ feet of elevation the weather can be real unpredictable - since that is an average low altitude for WY it is a state wide deal.

Remember, The 4 legged critters out number all the locals and the tourists combined, I have killed with my k100 two rabbits the size of dogs and one thankfully small antelope- so keep your eyes open and your speed down at least at night and close to sunset/sunrise.

Back