• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Short Daytona Report

jdiaz

Blocking the slow lane
I hadn't really planned a report, but Sue's been bugging me about one and Rob Nye's report looked kind of fun. So here's a few pics and text.

I've never really been interested in Bike Week. Sue had ridden down there a couple times without me and had a good time, but I never had the urge to go until this year. Things really fell into place, since I had a bit of vacation time to spend, a gracious spouse who didn't mind sitting home with baby, and a retired riding buddy who could change plans without much advance notice.

We originally talked about trucking our little bikes down to ATL and riding on from there, but when the long-range weather report looked favorable, we decided to pack the big bikes and give it a go. Things were looking darn nice on Sunday the 29th of Feb.

bigpurple.jpg

Temps were in the 50s and it was nice and sunny. We rolled out of Chicago at noon and stopped in Evansville, IN for the night about six hours later at a fairly scary-looking Motel6 located at the end of the municipal airport runway. I think only four or five of the rooms were occupied that night, so it was pretty quiet until the airport runway fired up the next morning at 6am.

We picked up the Pennyrile Parkway and headed down to I-24 in a light misty rain. About an hour out of E'ville, the rain ended and we decided to grab a bite at the motorcyclist's favorite eatery.

eating.jpg

We were out on the road an hour later, and had a pretty uneventful ride until the skies opened up at Clarksville. The rain stayed with us off and on until Nashville, when it cranked up again going thru town. But a few miles east of Nashville, the skies cleared and that would be the last serious rain we would see on the trip.

We had to make a stop at my favorite gas n' boom on I-24, serving the finest in fuel and noisemaking devices. The whole concept just cracks me up.

deathtrap.jpg

The remainder of the day was pleasant, with warm temps and light traffic until we got to that miserable hellhole called "suburban Atlanta." :) We managed to find our hosts' home without too much trouble, and had a wonderful time getting reacquainted with a couple of folks we hadn't seen for awhile. Some of you might even recognize the old geezer at the top of this pic sharing his road knowledge.

routemasters.jpg

He couldn't ride with us because he had to work. Work? Shoot, it was only the second day of the trip and I'd already forgotten I had a job.

Tomorrow we head to FL.

Ian directed us down Georgia 15, a nice little two-lane route from roughly Athens to the NW side of Jacksonville. The pavement was good, traffic light, and we could maintain 65mph without getting hassled. We skirted JAX and got to the campsite quickly in the afternoon.

campsite.jpg

We hung around until Mike Cornett arrived from San Antonio, and decided to eat at the Mexican restaurant outside the campground. Bad idea. Who knew?

Needing a walk after that dinner, we came across some of the local entertainment at Holiday Park. Handsome, aren't they?

karaoke.jpg

Even with those sounds in my head, I managed to fall asleep pretty quickly.

Got up early on Wednesday and we headed to town. Parked the bikes at the BMW shop and wandered down Beach St. I thought the crowd size was stunning, but my friends laughed and said it was nothing compared to Main Street.

chaos.jpg

This is a shot behind Daytona HD. Wall to wall vendors.

madness.jpg

We got out of there and wandered back to the BMW dealer. As we were walking by this thing, I realized what it was and took a pic. Its a mobile dragstrip that uses a dyno, so buddies can race one another and never move. Cool.

mobiledragstrip.jpg

Mike and Chuck decided they were going to walk the bridge over to Main Street, but I decided to skip and hung out at the MOA tent instead, chatting with RayZ and the Hughes. Jackie and I tested one another on Spokane knowledge, and lots of folks came by to say hi and get their free sticker.

These guys eventually wandered back.

teamslacker.jpg

We finished the day at the Speedway so I could see the new GS. Its totally cool.

jongs.jpg

The show closed shortly after that pic. We wandered down the road to Gene's Steak House for an excellent NY strip, and after getting lost down a dirt "shortcut" trying to get back north, I zonked out in the tent after getting back to the site. Long day.

I wanted less crowd today. We rode out to the Bike Show in Deland, and scoped some of the bikes for sale. This was my favorite.

cutecub.jpg

My picture doesn't do it justice....it was perfectly restored.

The crowd was much smaller than what we'd been seeing all week, but still pretty healthy:

bikeshow_deland.jpg

After walking around for a bit, we headed back to AMI to check out the Brute Horsepower Shootout. The ZX-12R that blew up was pretty cool. I also liked this bike:

gamma.jpg

The noise started to bother me after a bit, and Chuck and Mike wanted to head back to the campsite.

I headed to the MOA booth to help for the afternoon, then met up with the guys again in Port Orange for a MotoGuzzi dinner at a great seafood joint on the inner waterway. It was a perfect night, so we wandered up A1A back to the campsite and I chatted with a few folks till well past midnight.

Friday I just hung around the campsite until we left in the afternoon. We went over to Lake City, FL, that night, then shot home on Saturday and part of Sunday. Again, we got lucky with about five minutes of rain and the only bad thing was some severe sidewinds in IL. All in all, a great trip.

Thanks to the folks at Bcubed for the great hospitality during the week.

Great Report Jon!

Thanx for the trip report and pics for those of us who weren't able to ride to BikeWeek this year. Sounds like BMW brand was well represented this year. Hopefully I will be able to get to a few rallies this year. Between work and vacation time scheduling, not to mention I have 2 homes right now to pay for. I just recently moved and have one vacant and for sale. Big time mortgage debt. Whew! I also get a laugh from the (gas and boom) fuel stops here in Tennessee. They sell the heck out of fireworks to tourists. Thanx again and ride safe. IHCB:thumb

Thanks for the trip report Jon, between your report and Rob's I almost feel like I was there ! Minus the morning headache of course. Hopefully I can recipricate as I will be down in that area during Biketoberfest.

Glad you had a fun and safe trip.

Craig

A Plus

Thanks for taking the time to post. Looks like a blast was had by all, (with the possible exception of the bad dinner).

Trailer Week Report

Thanks for a splendid story and pics. It almost made me want to go next year. I did a couple of Bike Weeks in the early '90s and decided that was probably enough for awhile. Maybe it's time to do it again.
John Flora

Awesome, Jon! Say HI to Chuck for me. Last time I saw him was in a backyard in St. Helena, CA up in Napa County last summer.

KBasa said:
Awesome, Jon! Say HI to Chuck for me. Last time I saw him was in a backyard in St. Helena, CA up in Napa County last summer.
Yeah, those retired guys really get around. Damn them anyway. :)

Back