• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GA / NC / TN (Cherohala & Dragon's Tail)

DERAIL412

I have wanted to ride the Cherohala Skyway for years. This past week I decided I'd waited long enough. I took 1/2 day off and drove the 2 hours through the GA Mountains and had one of the best rides of my life.

I started in Cumming, GA headed up GA 400. Took Hwy 19/60 through Dahlonega and Suches then 180 up past Vogel State Park. I have to say this stretch of road is one of my favorites. At Vogel I hit US 129 and stayed on it up to Robbinsville, NC. Just N or Robbinsville I hit NC 143 and started my traverse across the Cherohala. What a beautiful stretch of road!!!

I finished the Skyway and headed to the Cherohala Motorcycle Resort; I give this place 5 stars. http://www.cycleresort.com/. It is run by a couple, I believe their names are Mark and Renee (sp). I made last minute plans and they were able to accommodate me. Clean cabin, nice atmosphere and clean bathrooms!!! This place is a diamond in the rough!!!

I stayed an extra day and rode the Dragon's Tail (3x/from the West (2), East (1)). The majority of my life I have ridden sport bikes. That was the best, most intense ride I've every had. My RT rode like a dream!!! I don't know how I ever rode anything else; IMHO. After slaying the Dragon it was back down to Robbinsville and over the Cherohala one more time. It was extremely cold on top but well worth the ride. Once back in Tellico Plains I hit TN-68 S to Ducktown; across the GA border then back down to Cumming via Blue Ridge and Ellijay.

I logged a little over 500 miles on my 1 1/2 day excursion. No Iron Butt by any stretch of the imagination but one of the most enjoyable trips of my life!!! Anyone who has the means and time should take the time to hit this area of the country. Good riding abounds at every turn!!!

:bikes

Back