• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 11/03/07

It was a tough one this week. I really had to reach

It was a tough one this week. I really had to reach

I liked your submissions this week (few though they were :whistle ). Your interpretation of the theme was quite creative I thought.

This week's theme has invited a wide array of interpretations. Both of mine are tenuous at best, the lock better than the shiny exhaust pipes.

Someone commented a few weeks ago about how an assignment and a deadline pushes us creatively, forces us to work toward a deadline, to be spontaneous, and to meet the challenge. I can't help but think that's a good thing, at least for those who are looking for some photographic calisthenics.

I also think (perhaps optimistically) that each of us is harder on her- or himself than others are.

Nonetheless, another batch of good, fun, and interesting photos. :type

ok, here's one from this past friday, early AM beach shot

Mexican Still Life 1

mexican-still-life.jpg

RM

I dig this shot a bunch.

This shot was made with the leaf on top of the fuel tank of my R90/6 using a Canon point and shoot camera set to macro and "Wide Screen." The Wide Screen setting crops the top and bottom of the image in the camera, similar to the 16:9 format of HD TV.

Lots of good photos again this week!

Attachments

• LeafOnTank.jpg
    LeafOnTank.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 162
I go back and forth on this photo, to be honest. The sun spot on the fender alternates between annoying me and looking like a decent accent. The background looks a bit overexposed, always a problem when shooting a black bike, and I managed to catch something, my helmet, I think, in the bottom of the frame.

Anyway, here we go.

I think I'd like to try this one again, only clean the fender, watch the entire frame when shooting and try to get an angle that eliminates the sun spot.

Next time.

Plain and simple describes a /2 headlight, I think.

217569894-XL.jpg

I really thought this would be the one I'd post first. I liked the reflection in the tank and the way it reflected the spot I picked to shoot. However, I think the roundel is overexposed and the blue color has been lost, to some degree.

Additionally, there's a big mistake with this shot - my shadow. I generally go to great pains to keep myself out of the photo, be it in reflections, shadows or other intrusions into the subject matter.

Today's lesson: Take your helmet off and put on your regular glasses so you can see in the viewfinder. :ha

I might try this one again. I like the spot and with winter coming, the meadow in this valley is getting nice and green.

217569535-XL.jpg

Aside from the first one, this might be my favorite. If you look really carefully, you can see a deer sitting in the meadow, back in the distance. You can just make out his head in profile.

I think the fence and the signage distract from the scene, so I'm going to try another little meadow in a valley I know up in Nicasio, next time.

I picked this spot because I was having so much fun riding I forgot to stop in Nicasio by the church. I figured the old bike by a church with cows would show the "simple" aspect pretty well.

217567682-XL.jpg

reflecting on a way of life gone by...

a little washed out for my taste, but reflects our ride out to Antelope for lunch...
shadows.jpg

This shot was made with the leaf on top of the fuel tank of my R90/6 using a Canon point and shoot camera set to macro and "Wide Screen." The Wide Screen setting crops the top and bottom of the image in the camera, similar to the 16:9 format of HD TV.

I think this is a fantastic image. The colors are wonderful together. Did you find this leaf on the tank, or did you set up the shot?

Hi Alex,
I set up the shot just outside of my garage. The camera was mounted on a very small tripod set on the saddle and I used the very soft overhead light from above the garage to "light" the set. The camera has a "Vivid" setting which I use to bring out the color and contrast the reds, greens and yellows against the blue tank. The very shallow depth of field is a result of the f2.8 lens setting and using the camera in macro mode. What really makes this image come alive, besides the color, is the soft shadow created by the leaf on the tank, it seems that the leaf is almost floating. Thanks for asking!

Attachments

• tank_n_tripod.jpg
    tank_n_tripod.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 134
I liked your submissions this week (few though they were :whistle ). Your interpretation of the theme was quite creative I thought.

This week's theme has invited a wide array of interpretations. Both of mine are tenuous at best, the lock better than the shiny exhaust pipes.

Someone commented a few weeks ago about how an assignment and a deadline pushes us creatively, forces us to work toward a deadline, to be spontaneous, and to meet the challenge. I can't help but think that's a good thing, at least for those who are looking for some photographic calisthenics.

I also think (perhaps optimistically) that each of us is harder on her- or himself than others are.

Nonetheless, another batch of good, fun, and interesting photos. :type

Thank you, the assignments certainly have pushed me to go out more pictures. I probably wouldnÔÇÖt have taken my camera to the pee-wee football had it not been for the assignment, and I was able to distribute the pictures to some of the parents (I was offered money, but I declined ÔÇô bad move since I now ÔÇ£needÔÇØ a fish-eye lens, a low aperture telephoto, and some filters).

I believe that training the ÔÇ£mindÔÇÖs eyeÔÇØ is most essential. Initiating a creative response under pressure, while coming naturally for some, is a skill that must be learned and nurtured (refined at the very least).

its all in the training of you inner aesthetic eye... and knowing most of the time you will spend more energy the higher level of refinement of an image to get it right where you want it even if you do absolutely not correctoins...

I also agree that we can be our worst critics. I often imagine art that is beyond my ability to produce. Even if the end result is very nice, if it isnÔÇÖt what I believe to be the ÔÇ£realizationÔÇØ of my idea, I can be somewhat disappointed with it.

Case in point, both or your images are very nice. The motorcycle image shows friendship and generosity, it is a ÔÇ£dualÔÇØ image in that the subject is the exhaust pipe and the people in the reflection, and it highlights the joy of tinkering with your motorcycle. The second image is a great example of ÔÇ£product-style photographyÔÇØ ÔÇô as you put it. We do quite a bit of this for my company and for a local jewelry store. After struggling to get the right lighting, background, angle and zoom, I can say this is very well done. As you know well, reflective surfaces are not easy to photograph with out ÔÇ£goobersÔÇØ (thank you for the new word).

Aside from the first one, this might be my favorite. If you look really carefully, you can see a deer sitting in the meadow, back in the distance. You can just make out his head in profile.

Now our photo assignments have turned into "Where's Waldo". :p

What really makes this image come alive, besides the color, is the soft shadow created by the leaf on the tank, it seems that the leaf is almost floating. Thanks for asking!

The shadow also leads us from the blue to the red/yellow and highlights the beauty of contrasting colors. Thanks for sharing! :thumb

I think the fence and the signage distract from the scene, so I'm going to try another little meadow in a valley I know up in Nicasio, next time.

I picked this spot because I was having so much fun riding I forgot to stop in Nicasio by the church. I figured the old bike by a church with cows would show the "simple" aspect pretty well.

217567682-XL.jpg

I also like the "no parking" sign... :D

I love this shot beerteam! It speaks to me. A tough shot to take because light like that lasts only a few minutes and you certainly had to make a decision to wait for the contrail in the reflection to dissipate or snap it while the getting was good. Very nice. :wave

217433614-L.jpg

lamble and bluestune had interesting submissions, too. Years ago I taught Introductory Photography at a local high school and invariably one of the students would ask/state, "How do you find interesting subjects. I never see anything I can photograph." I used to tell them in any given environment, there's a dozen opportunities to capture an interesting shot within an arm's length or at the very least within a couple paces in an given direction. Nearly all of the submissions this week prove that theory.

Lots of great pics again this week everyone. I didn't get an opportunity to shoot anything. I spent Saturday re-farkling my bike after getting it back after a couple weeks in the shop for warranty repairs. I spent Sunday enjoying the fruits of my labor and I saw lots of opportunities to grab a few pics while riding, but I have yet to learn how to "stop and smell the roses.*" The light wasn't good at the time, but I did pass a large hawk and a half-dozen buzzards scraping over a deer carcass by the side of the road. Mother Nature doing her thing: pure and simple! :p

*Maybe that's a topic the accomplished roadside shooters can elaborate on? I see more stuff that I can realistically capture on any given ride and by the time I see it, I'm well on my way to enjoying the rest of the ride. :scratch

Back