• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

[ up on mod soapbox ]

Paul and 69zeff65 -

Please refrain from using the tech forum to buy/sell/trade items. From this point on, use the PM function only. Forum posting guidelines strongly frown on this.

Thanks...

[ off mod soapbox ]

Huh? :drink...........Anyone wanna buy me a beer?

or go west

Ride that thing to the North West and I'll turn you onto a home-brew. And we can talk about our re-builds.:drink

:bow. Gotta quote the angst. :sick

You may have missed my point.

Well...probably. I have a habit of missing points. Or getting them...did I mention I pulled the electronic ignition of by factory original, unmolested 81 blue R80g/s and installed a points can? That was right before I put R100GS forks and a R100 subframe on and powdercoated the whole thing shiny black. :bikes

Well...probably. I have a habit of missing points. Or getting them...did I mention I pulled the electronic ignition of by factory original, unmolested 81 blue R80g/s and installed a points can? That was right before I put R100GS forks and a R100 subframe on and powdercoated the whole thing shiny black. :bikes

You seem to be fun person to mess with :nod but I'll stop. :brow It's never personal, particularly on these forums.

Read all about your bike on ADV- nice work.

yup, it is a work in progress. The last thing I wanted when I started was a bike that would win a concourse. These folks that buy these bikes and then turn them into museum pieces that get ridden on sunday might as well by a harley and spend the day shining the chrome. Not me...My day is complete when I can make a purist cringe when I get it filthy and put it away wet :D

You Ravenous pig !

I know what you mean. Concourse...naah. Bought it, rode it, wrecked it, and fixed it. It's a rider again. My Yahama ridin' buddies love it that way...... I like the patina too much for that show stuff , so it just had to be as good as I could make it in my garage with the time and $$ I could reasonably handle. Unless someone wants to pay a heap, I'll ride it until it's trash and I hope that is a long time. Glad the cases can handle most of the Home Depot and grocery stuff. No doubt, I do get stares at the Depot.

Here's what it looked like before. You can see the butt ugly silver color (a la the new Met Rot w/ stripes) and where my body blew through the windscreen and handlebars. My chest/rib X-rays pics are also a real treat.

GarysWreck013-1.jpg

Yeah, check this out. A fancy..in primer mind you, parabellum fairing matched with really cool shammy cloth fork boots.

DSCF3860.JPG

This one is on a snowy road in NM. Took it through the mountains after that photo and almost died..
P3140053.jpg

Finally, a good use for the engine....to cook potatoes. 10 min of idle cooks them perfectly.
DSCF3871.JPG

To infer that people who keep their old bikes in good condition are posers is an anti-snobbery that just as exclusionary as a purist's ideal. If you want a rat bike, fine. If you want a museum piece, fine, but to generalize that to be a "real" motorcyclist you need to "Macgyver" fix your bike with found objects is just wrong thinking. Carefully restored airheads are things of beauty. What is the point of disrespecting that effort?

:bikes

Ruh roh!

To infer that people who keep their old bikes in good condition are posers is an anti-snobbery that just as exclusionary as a purist's ideal. If you want a rat bike, fine. If you want a museum piece, fine, but to generalize that to be a "real" motorcyclist you need to "Macgyver" fix your bike with found objects is just wrong thinking. Carefully restored airheads are things of beauty. What is the point of disrespecting that effort?

:bikes[/QUOTE

Been trying not to impose upon other's tastes or lack therof.

I think all airheads are cool- Rat bike, perfect resto, cafe racers, and everything in between. I do like the Raven's work even though it's not my style.............his choice. The beauty of these bikes is they are very personable and, unfortunately, I have not seen any but my own while riding. I'll probably turn around and chase the poor MFer, or hopefully MFette when I do. For now, I rely on these websites to see others fine work and appreciate it all.

In Michitucky, it seems to be mostly chunky Harley people who all ride the same bike with the same fairing, same helmets, same stickers on the helmets, and the same lumpette on the back.. Damned if I'd want to keep all that chrome clean so I can look like my neighbor and his brother.

HH :banghead

Last edited:
Sorry...here it is...for real.

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 702
Beautiful Bike

Beautiful Bike! Is the fairing an original, or aftermarket? I am restoring a 1974 R75/6 and reluctant to install the old Vetter fairing - too big and clunky. If you have any information, please let me know... Thanks!

Thanks! The fairing is an original BMW s fairing. The paint on the bike is a bike rough...scratches and stuff. I debate painting it as I would lose the 33 year old feel of the bike.

Back