• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

Winter Ride

Couldn't stand it any more.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKN3dhgb82U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKN3dhgb82U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

the windshield top is home made always been there(last 16 years) in one form or another, the mud flap was made by cutting down a truck flap and shaping with a heat gun to match the fenders curves(18.00 for a pair, one on the wifes bike also)

For 154048 - Moosehead's 1982 "departed" RS

Here's a few pix for ya! Sold it last summer after restore I did on her the winter before. She was pretty tired after 140,000+ miles but, refreshened top end, gearbox overhaul, and replaced rear drive with a great unit off e-bay 32/10, carb rebuild etc etc., and , a new paint job...she ran like new after!

I'll get another one for the fleet...I miss her a lot but she's in good hands...feel good about that!

The guages...

With the 3/4 Denfield sport seat...

It would be nice to pick one up in NM or AZ...nice trip back!

Bob, what a beauty! A nice clean restore on a magnificent piece.:thumb

I will keep an eye out for a nice machine out here in Sunny NM for you.

My 78 R100

From the first multi-day ride with the new bike:

515862933_TQNtE-L.jpg

After a much needed luggage install:

588766532_GnZtv-L.jpg

Latest version:

727084710_JHG2F-L.jpg

:drink

Couldn't stand it any more.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKN3dhgb82U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cKN3dhgb82U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

nice video, but it looks like you spend a lot of time in the middle of the lane where all the mositure, ice and oil are

ever look real closely at the road? i mean REALLY look? that road, some other road, most any road. you know what you will NOT see? a collection of oil, slathering the center of the lane. yeah, we've all heard it for years, but it's just another motorcycling myth, along with "i had to lay it down to avoid the accident." ("oh, so you had an 'on purpose' instead, eh?")
if the vehicle is moving, oil and such will collect on the chassis. oil and other assorted drips will collect at stop lights, toll booths, and other locations where vehicles stop for extended periods of time, but that's about it.

nothing wrong with center lane position on an open road.

nothing wrong with center lane position on an open road.
I respectfully disagree -- sorta. I agree that oil accumulation in the center of the lane is usually not a problem, except in the places you mentioned, and right after a road bump (where you can see a wider "black spot" in the road).

BUT, the great thing about the left and right car wheel paths is that they are usually like they have been swept clean with a broom -- the passing cars tend to catch and throw debris to the sides, either to the shoulders or to the center of the lane, where the debris then just sits. Thus, I generally stay out of the center of the lane to minimize the chances of a tire puncture.

(Famous last words coming!) In fact, the only two punctures I've had in >30 years of riding were from a screw I picked up in my own driveway when I was having a contractor add a garage, and from a piece of debris I picked up in my underground office garage (careless workers doing some sprinkler pipe work). Having said this, I'll probably have a road flat the next time I go up the street. Nonetheless, generally staying out of the center seems to have worked pretty well for me up to this point. :thumb

nice video, but it looks like you spend a lot of time in the middle of the lane where all the mositure, ice and oil are

If you're gonna criticize my lack of judgment or lack of sense then you should first be advising me to not be steering with one hand while video recording with the other. I was proud of myself for not running that tractor-trailer off the road.
I won't do that again. I promise. :nono

But seriously, I usually favor the left tire track while constantly evaluating the road condition. The lane is mine, pick the best of it.

If you're gonna criticize my lack of judgment or lack of sense then you should first be advising me to not be steering with one hand while video recording with the other. I was proud of myself for not running that tractor-trailer off the road.
I won't do that again. I promise. :nono

But seriously, I usually favor the left tire track while constantly evaluating the road condition. The lane is mine, pick the best of it.

sorry , I was not meaning to critisize, I was just pointing out what I thought I saw adn my personal thoughts on the issue
really, was not meaning to offend

for me, in my part of the countrry, the center of a lane lane is alwasy the part that has stanindg water, or ice, mud,or road oil, oil no tnecesarily from cars/trucks but from the tar itself.
however , if the weather ic clear, it can be the smoothest part of the road, as the tire track lanes from cars can be washboarded, and even grooved from snow chains and studded tires

sorry , I was not meaning to critisize, I was just pointing out what I thought I saw adn my personal thoughts on the issue
really, was not meaning to offend

for me, in my part of the countrry, the center of a lane lane is alwasy the part that has stanindg water, or ice, mud,or road oil, oil no tnecesarily from cars/trucks but from the tar itself.
however , if the weather ic clear, it can be the smoothest part of the road, as the tire track lanes from cars can be washboarded, and even grooved from snow chains and studded tires

You were not criticizing and I did not take it that way. Your comment was valid. You did not offend. You did catch me doing some really bad driving.

:bikes

OK, things are patched up :drink, back to some pics, snooty BMW-ridin' cat free of charge :eat

8.26.09 014.jpg

This is my 1986 R80CS, 49K on the clock. I can't wait for spring!

Here's the 80CS from my last ride of the season (before winter set in) October 2009, climbing above the Kittitas Valley, just north of Ellensburg, WA:

10.7.09 100.jpg

Back