• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

another view

another view of the 1988 r100rs with S fairing, 3/4 solo seat, and reynolds rack

Attachments

• r100-fairing2.jpg
    r100-fairing2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,506
1/4 fairing windshield

Is that the non-stock higher windshield on your scooter?

If so, what is your opinion of it? Where does it deflect the wind to?

Thanks,

Steve

stock fairing

glad you guys like the bike. this is the stock BMW windshield that came standard on the S bikes. I am thinking of getting the aeroflow laminar lip before the next long trip.

1983 R80/RT...crashed, stripped, reborn as cafe project

came from the classified's of this website. drum roll...........$1100.00 with 9200 miles. p.o.'s son chucked it in a ditch and did (according to the estimate) $3600.00 worth of damage. sold the fairing remains on ebay for $300.00. Bike sat idle and needed some cursory maintenance and updates: fork tubes,(pitted, BAD!), "S" bars, fork gaitors, fork seals, steering stem bearings, turn signal mounts, tires, carb needles and seats, brake pads and shoes (contaminated), carb cleaning, valve adjustment, plugs, and a through detail. total now about $2,000.00 including purchase price. cafe process will continue, along with 1000cc conversion and maybe a faux /5 makeover.
Bill

HPIM1951.jpg

Last edited:
this ought to go in the Vintage forum, but there's so little traffic in there, i thought i'd post here :)

1955 R50, no idea how many miles, just got it a few months ago in rolling but not running condition. got it going now but it needs a bunch more things done to it. my first motorcycle too. i like those classic german girls, and she looks like a very pretty one to me.

Attachments

• DSCF0126.jpg
    DSCF0126.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,346
OldAndBusted said:
this ought to go in the Vintage forum, but there's so little traffic in there, i thought i'd post here :)

1955 R50, no idea how many miles, just got it a few months ago in rolling but not running condition. got it going now but it needs a bunch more things done to it. my first motorcycle too. i like those classic german girls, and she looks like a very pretty one to me.

Thats a great find!!

Enjoy the journey!!

Pezz :)

here is my first bmw. i rescued it from the local slavage yard. it is a 79 R65. It needs some work to get it ready by spring. Need to hunt down some parts for it. thinking about doing a little cafe treatment with her. love to find a different seat. where can i find one for the R65?

what else can be done to these?
thanks

Attachments

• HPIM0080b.jpg
    HPIM0080b.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,327
OldAndBusted, I salute you for getting started in motorcycling in such an interesting way! I thought I took an interesting path by staring with refurbishing a nearly-basket-case K100RT, but you've got that beat by a wide margin. She's *DEFINITELY* a pretty one, and the love shows in your smile in the picture. Go far with her; she has much to teach you.

Ride Her

OldAndBusted said:
... I like those classic german girls, and she looks like a very pretty one to me.

That sweet old bike was made to be ridden. The highest honor you can give to the designers of that venerable bike is to ride it and ride it more. The countryside in Vermont is perfect for that bike, you can run on the highways, but in Vermont I bet there is usually an "Old Road" or scenic alternate that would better suit the character of the bike.

Buy the tools you need (or want) but don't buy cheap tools. Get a manual and use it. Don't think of the wrenching as a chore or work. The designers of these fine machines were very clever. Your maintenance and mechanical exploration of these machines will be like an easter egg hunt for smart solutions. Time after time on my (1982) bike I am delighted by the briliant simplicity of the machine's workings.

Keep on top of the maintenance. Safety first. The Tires, brakes, bearings and lights should be in the best they are capable of being. Reliability second. The bike will usually tell you (with sounds, vibrations or "something ain't right") Listen to the bike. There are also inner workings that will need your attention. Find a maintenance schedule for that vintage bike (Hooray for the internet) and start organizing the necessary routine maintenance.

My sugguestion would be to keep it running and as maintenance issues require that you delve into the machine, then clean, polish and bring-up that portion of the bike.

Ask questions in the Forum. Some of us geriatric blow-hards have useful information, or can point you to it.

Be safe, have fun and be safe

looking for images of Avon fairings appropriate to this model I came across our own Jeff Dean's /2 page.

http://jeff.dean.home.att.net/slash2.htm

Back