• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

73’ r75/5

86FDE860-0EC5-4A9C-957D-4C522AA37D79.jpg
Just picked up my first BMW. A 1973 R75/5, original Nurburgring Grun paint, functioning speedo/tach, Krauser hard case saddle bags, very original machine.
I tracked down the guy who bought the bike from the Winnipeg BMW dealer in 1974. He bought it slightly used. It was lent to the Winnipeg Police from brand new as a demo, since they were planning on updating their motorcycle fleet. It has a drilled/lightened flywheel, something that wad done to all Police Interceptors to give them and edge over the general riding population in a pursuit situation.
Cops returned it to dealer, story he tells is they preferred the loud Harleys, if they pulled into an alley, all the punk kids would scatter when they heard the Harley coming. BMW was too quiet, so they'd actually end up catching a kid or two that were up to no good, which resulted in having to a) get the kid to the station b) process the kid and c) write up the paperwork.
Advantage: Harley?

Last edited:
spring fever in the PNW

A nice spring day in Portland prompted a ride out the Sandy and Clackamas River roads....still lots of gravel from winter snow treatment...be careful!
mystic 1.jpgmystic 3.jpgmystic 2.jpg Check out these super comfy and stylie leather tank pads from Larsen Upholstery in Seattle...(I have a second pair; PM if interested) Also, just received the beautiful billet gas cap from Edgar at Flat Racer.... Oh yeah, obviously a 94 R100R Mystic...

I generally like a Mystic being stock; but your customization is growing on me. Replace that tattered Roundel; just a suggestion. Ride and enjoy; You've gotta a Mystic!

thanks for the feedback......yes, this baby came to me in need of some TLC...I deviated from stock when reviving her, but not radically...this beauty runs like no airhead I have ever ridden...ha ha, the tank roundels on both my airheads are "torn and frayed" ...a testament to their true age and collective life experiences...kinda like the scars on our bodies from riding mishaps....we wear them with pride !

IMG_7520-Edit-L.jpg

'83 R100RS.

Rides much nicer with recently rebuilt heads and carbs.

OK, You have good taste; but it's an Oilhead. So when U get time, post it down in the Oilhead thread and then I'll congratulate you again on what a great Oilhead Cruiser You have. :thumb

1971 r75/5

My '71 /5...bought last fall, runs like a top. Had been rigged for/with a sidecar by the P.O., who took good care of the bike...I did have the final drive job done and put new tires on.

Attachments

• rsz_pu8ubznhrlaj-bfznnoqbq.jpg
    rsz_pu8ubznhrlaj-bfznnoqbq.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 584
Sidecar Bits

Lew - I do indeed. It consists of three components:

1. A lug which was used as a substitute for the upper shock bolt (can be seen in the photo)
2. A second lug which was used as a substitute for the forward engine mount (can be seen in the photo)
3. A well-made crossbrace which bolts up under the seat where the toolbox should go. It attaches using bolts where the rear subframe attaches to the frame itself. Looks like it was intended to stiffen the frame - really solid piece. I can send you a picture of it installed; all three components have been removed, but I have all of it including the bolts used.

I've no need for these parts...happy to send them to a new home.

Back