• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

A little winter maintenance preparing my R75/5 for its second 100K miles.

IMG_7218.jpg

It's just krylon rattle can flat black. Then I cleared it with krylon satin. Good ol' Home Depot.

I just made sure I prepped it well so it came out pretty decent. The tank isn't paint, but is vinyl wrapped flat black on top with brushed black aluminum on sides. That way I can remove it if I ever needed the stock paint on the tank (which I'm sure I never will), or wanted to change up the look at some point. PS...vinyl wrapping a tank for the first time is a LOT harder than youtube makes it out to be.

Thanks for sharing Nick. I was wondering how "easy" wrap material goes around compound curves. How many tries did it take to get it down? Looks good! Nice mufflers too. What brand are they?

Thanks for the kind words. It's my first bike ever and first restoration ever too.

The compound curves where definitely a challenge and there are a few blemishes here and there. The trick was not to heat and pull too much. You'll want to but do your best to tell yourself "no". I figure at 60+mph you won't see a few wrinkles and I can always pull it off and try again after more practice.

Mufflers are just Emgo from Dime City. I bought some really good packing and wrapped the baffles before installing. That was not a fun due to the cone shape. The bracket they give you is useless. I just bent my stock brackets to fit the new mufflers. Sound is louder than stock for sure but the new baffles tone it down. It sounds like a helicopter when at idle. I love the sound. I don't find them too loud at speed either.

Nice clean custom. Less is more. Simplicity is best. A small amount of money spent to excellent effect. Good job. Ride and enjoy. :thumb

Me in ‘79 or so

Is it any wonder I’m stuck in the 70’s?

Hope photo loads,........still perplexed by this system.

Attachments

• E13F7315-D55F-474B-8A04-294A308CD58D.jpg
    E13F7315-D55F-474B-8A04-294A308CD58D.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 283
Forty years later,......

A matched set (-:

Ok,.....I’m done for the morning........time to focus on heading for Death Valley Rendevous.

Attachments

• 08B81A08-2C0F-4187-B65C-69066BE83DAD.jpg
    08B81A08-2C0F-4187-B65C-69066BE83DAD.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 286
Back