• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post a pic of your Airhead

Have never travelled without bungee's on cases on my R80/7. Great for "accidental dismounting" security and can double as a place to hang additional gear. Cheers.
Hi, what a great job ,well done,whats with the bungie cord ?, as if I dont know,enjoy, ride safe Jimmy;)

AirStream BaseCamp

I've been looking for one for a couple of years. AirStream only made 200 of them and they are hard to find (and cost more than new!).

I bought this one two weeks ago and picked it up the same weekend I picked up the R100S. If you search on YouTube for AirStream BaseCamp and R90S you'll find a minute long video of Rhyder McClure (the previous owner) pulling the trailer into a cul-de-sac, opening the back doors, rolling his R90S out, putting on his helmet and riding away. He made a similar video with his HP2. It was the video that sold me on the BaseCamp. Pure coincidence that I ended up buying the exact trailer.

1979 r100s

My new to me R100S

hi, sgtbill, have seen you a couple of times at the Laurel highlands rally, over the last few years, looks like you got a good bike, cant really see from the photos but it may be a 1978 model, also the brakes and forks are upgraded to 1981 on type read Brembo,may have master cylinder mounted on handlebar,if not do it, best of luck, ride safe ,Jimmy, ps ,will say hello next year:thumb

Hey Jimmy. You are correct. The build date for my R100S is June 1978. It dies have the 1981 Brembo brake update and a Dyna 3 ignition as well. The brake upgrade moved the reservoir to the handlebar. I still have some things to do to get it into the shape I want but it is a hoot to ride.

see you at the Laurel Highlands next year.

At the Hip

This classic rolled off the line when I was 2 months old. We're attached at the hip. Can't see ever giving this one up.
myr60.jpg

1978 Airhead

After refurbishing the basic mechanicals, rebuilding the Bings, tweaking, sealing and resealing the engine, tuning, torquing, cleaning, scrubbing, detailing, adding a few accessories, test riding, re-tweaking and test riding some more...SHE IS FINALLY READY FOR SOME SERIOUS MILES!:clap:clap :clap

Great work, my friend - I look forward to helping you put many miles on that Airhead in the coming years - Beautiful bike -
Jake

My '78 R100S /Hannigan Fairing

I fell in love with Airheads in my youth in the 60's and 70's when I was riding 2-Strokes. It took a while but now I have 3 and this is my favorite.

R100S.jpg

The '83 R65 is a fun canyon carver - the '77 R75 is has been disassembled and is a major restoration moving very slow - since I got the R100S sorted I don't seem to be spending enough time working on the bike - but winters coming....
The '78 R100S is just a pleasure to ride short or long distances and she runs strong.

Pops

George - Pops - Godfather ... Stunning 78's you have!

My favorite year for aesthetics, reliability and raw hard working function.

Love my Special Edition R100/7 more every day since I rolled it off the showroom floor in 1978. Hope my picture doesn't spoil the party.

-Mike V.

Attachments

• 78 R100 002.jpg
    78 R100 002.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
George - Pops - Godfather ... Stunning 78's you have!

My favorite year for aesthetics, reliability and raw hard working function.

Love my Special Edition R100/7 more every day since I rolled it off the showroom floor in 1978. Hope my picture doesn't spoil the party.

-Mike V.

Thanks for the props! I love my /7.

Yours is a beautiful bike...and to be the original owner....that's very special!

The '78's are my favorite also.Love the look of the gas tank.I am planning on picking up a 1977 R100S though.Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Jake.
We will get you back on an airhead too... You don't need no stinking oil head!

While I want to agree...I had a few Airheads...luv'd them all.Particularly my CS....I do like the slightly wider, tubeless tires, electronic ignition, improved charging, system...of the Oilheads....and I must admit that since it saved my bacon once....I am now a fan of ABS .................jus'sayin.

'78's rule!

Mike - Great looking original - WOW! What I would give to know the history of mine.
Good color too

My 1974 R75/6 with R90S jugs. She is a work in progress and original fenders are the next addition. Once they are installed, she will be in all original condition as the tank, seat and the fenders are unrestored and still look good. You can only be in original condition once!

IMG_3639_zps3311cc27.jpg

IMG_3638_zps21296382.jpg

She started out looking like this:

318_zps507957d8.jpg

after riding my RT and naked classic R100s, for years, i exhibited careless online behavior and bought a 95 GS on fleabay...but it turned out well, as the bike is a beauty...what do you think?

Attachments

• 2014-09-05 22.55.37.jpg
    2014-09-05 22.55.37.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 422
Back