Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Dolly

Motorcycle Dolly

I've got 6 Beemers ( all Airheads except for 1 ) and I have been thinking of buying some Dollys to make moving them around easier.
    I made a couple where you put the bike on the centre stand and wheel them around, but the bikes are a little unstable and difficult to get up there. ( I'm an AK amputee, not that its a huge factor. )
    I am leaning towards the 'long' type, where you wheel the bike up and lean on its side stand( these are cheaper ), or where the front wheel goes into a chock and the bike is upright.

Then there is the 'Skate' type where the rear wheel sits on the Dolly and the front wheel stays on the ground and is used to steer.....( these are cheap too ) They look a little awkward to me?

I may end up getting 4 of these....dunno yet.

I have to store 4 of my bikes in a 6 x 3 m storage unit for a while and want to maximise the space. Have lots of other gear to get in as well....lol

Has anyone had any experience with either type? The cheap ones good enough or is the 'chocked' type worth the extra expense, seeing as I will be getting 4 or 5?
    Steve

Dolly 1.JPG Dolly 2.JPG Dolly 3.JPG

I have one of the long cheaper models for my Concours, works fine, easy to move no issues. I don't know if there is a Harbor Freight in OZ, but they were pretty reasonable, when I used one of their discount tickets.
    The only issue I had was when I used the locking feet at each end of the dolly (which raise the ends so wheels don't make contact) , when i started to move bike upright the dolly shot out to the side a bit and I had to catch bike from falling over. Saw that when I engaged one end after the other was engaged it would sometimes cause the first end to flip down back on wheels.

Other than that one mishap, been pretty happy with the dolly.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Dolly's

A couple from Aerostich IMG_0419.jpg

Hmmm...not exactly what I was after, but....ok.

It is interesting that people with serious questions get these stupid answers and comments from jokers who think they are funny!

Shame!
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Let's get back to the original subject please!

Thx...
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Ok. Cooler heads prevail...

How about this item: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CNBNQXQ..._t1_B01AD2AY9G There seem to be two versions on Amazon...one for $100 and one for $130. Perhaps it's only for stationary use, however.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 11.10.16 AM.jpg
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Small wheels are hard to push over old concrete/cracks etc.

Here's another option...lifting the rear wheel only for movement. URL for the company's "dolly mover" has a YouTube video showing how it works: https://shop.constands.com/en/paddoc...0-240722-0.htm

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 12.43.06 PM.jpg
    Last edited by ExGMan; 07-05-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added photo.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

My father has the Harbor Freight version (like your first picture) for his K75RT - it works well and is pretty easy to move. He added a 2x4 to the kickstand portion so it would sit closer to the wall. Over I think it's pretty stable.

I have a motorcycle lift like the one that ExGMan linked to on Amazon (Mine is also from HF). I've used it to push my bikes into the corner with another person is around for support. These types of lifts are great to use when working on the bike, but I wouldn't suggest that you use them to actually move your bike around, the bike is too unstable and it's a lot of weight for those small wheels.

Previous discussion:
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...torcycle-dolly

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ighlight=dolly
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up ordering 4 of these.
    Dolly 1.JPG

I will look at adding a single rachet strap to the bike to keep it on its sidestand when moving it around.
    I think its the best solution for me,
    Steve

Please report back on how well you like them. I have a two car garage and one of these is my strategy to keeping a bike off the street under a cover (where the old one was) and in between my cars.

The jack that ExGMan posts is great for maintenance but isn't good for storage. I used that to "restore" my R65. I would chock up the frame with some 2x4s and took the whole bike apart that way. I still used a strap as it was sort of unstable.

Sterob,

Just to reiterate my warning:

When I was taking my Concours off the style dolly you chose, I had the same bad dolly issue yesterday. After I flipped the lever to lift up the front end then went back to do the rear, the front would flip down as soon as the rear was engaged. Went to the front to engage, soon as I did the rear flipped down on the wheels.

Gets really scary when you lift the weight off the side stand to upright the bike and the wheels are down on either end, the rack tries to shoot out from underneath flipping bike into you. So be careful when locking and unloading the dolly, I had to go back and forth a few times till I managed to get them to stay lifted.
    1994 R1100RS-(5/93)-,1974 R90/6 built 9/73,--1964 Triumph T100--1986 Concours

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    Please report back on how well you like them. I have a two car garage and one of these is my strategy to keeping a bike off the street under a cover (where the old one was) and in between my cars.

The jack that ExGMan posts is great for maintenance but isn't good for storage. I used that to "restore" my R65. I would chock up the frame with some 2x4s and took the whole bike apart that way. I still used a strap as it was sort of unstable.
    Will do. Hope they will be fine as I have no way to 'test' before I buy....

Quote Originally Posted by jagarra View Post
    Sterob,

Just to reiterate my warning:

When I was taking my Concours off the style dolly you chose, I had the same bad dolly issue yesterday. After I flipped the lever to lift up the front end then went back to do the rear, the front would flip down as soon as the rear was engaged. Went to the front to engage, soon as I did the rear flipped down on the wheels.

Gets really scary when you lift the weight off the side stand to upright the bike and the wheels are down on either end, the rack tries to shoot out from underneath flipping bike into you. So be careful when locking and unloading the dolly, I had to go back and forth a few times till I managed to get them to stay lifted.
    Thanks...I will keep an eye on that. If it does happen, hopefully I can work out a mod to stop it happening.