Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Relocating Under Tank Brake Master Cylinder to Handlebars

Relocating Under Tank Brake Master Cylinder to Handlebars

Both my riding buddies from the '60's want to relocate the under tank front brake master cylinder to the handlebars. A '75 R75/6 and the other an original owner '75 R60/6.

I know the information is here on the Forum and have looked and "Searched" (useless) for it to bump start the procedure and nothing so far.

Can anyone bump start me as to where I might find this info. I really did try, but..........

Charlie

You canít relocate the existing one, but you can replace it with the later model handle assembly plus new hoses. Big improvement to my 76 R75.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1976 R75/6 - 1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Charlie -

First place I'd look is the threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. Several look promising.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post

I know the information is here on the Forum and have looked and "Searched" (useless) for it to bump start the procedure and nothing so far.

Can anyone bump start me as to where I might find this info. I really did try, but..........

Charlie
    Try entering the words master cylinder into a Tag Cloud search. The resulting threads in the Airhead forum might help.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Just try calling Rusty @ Max's BMW. I did mine about 2 years ago and never regretted. He saved me some bucks in that he knew several parts needed (for my needs to keep my 2-cable throttle) and helped me get everything I needed.

Only other problem is getting a new brake hose - for my /7 all I needed was a single hose - found local hose shop that did m/c hoses. Hose cost me around $30 I think. Looked like original, just longer.
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Anton Largiader does this conversion.

Might want to read about the pros & cons > https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...handlebar-type
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Charlie,

IIRC, the R60/6 did not have a front disk brake, but continued to use the /5 series drum brake. So converting it would also include sourcing a front fork leg designed to mount a front brake caliper.

Best.
    Brook Reams.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2004 R1150-RS||2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1975 R75/6||1973 R75/5

Quote Originally Posted by brook.reams View Post
    Charlie,

IIRC, the R60/6 did not have a front disk brake, but continued to use the /5 series drum brake. So converting it would also include sourcing a front fork leg designed to mount a front brake caliper.

Best.
    Brook Reams.
    A front drum brake has an under-tank master cylinder? Was it hydraulic actuated? Hmmmm?
    "The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by SCBuckeye View Post
    A front drum brake has an under-tank master cylinder? Was it hydraulic actuated? Hmmmm?
    No. Converting from the drum brake to a disk brake would require a fork leg to which to mount the caliper and a wheel with a disk, with a master cylinder and associated plumbing.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Actually the drum brake on /5's and R60/6 's were a fairly good front brake. They were full width hubs and the bikes were fairly light. Not really that fast. Nice vintage touch. Ride them for what they are.

OK OK, Uncle !

Y'all are right about the /6 R60 having a drum front brake. I had forgotten. (A whole lot more things than that too !) The R60/6 owner had converted to a hydraulic system at the same time as Lester wheels came on the market. He thought a big improvement for the late 1970's.

Hope this doesn't bar me from the Airhead Section of the Forum as I have started to visit more, for nostalgic reasons, since the Brick ?(K75) section has been a little quiet of late.

Thanks for the great advice to pass along.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    No. Converting from the drum brake to a disk brake would require a fork leg to which to mount the caliper and a wheel with a disk, with a master cylinder and associated plumbing.
    I understand that, but the O/P stated "RE-locating the m/c from under tank. Implies that there was one already there? It seemed to imply that someone had already changed over to disc brakes.

Front Brake

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Actually the drum brake on /5's and R60/6 's were a fairly good front brake. They were full width hubs and the bikes were fairly light. Not really that fast. Nice vintage touch. Ride them for what they are.
    Have to agree. My '73 R75/5's front drum brake worked incredibly well. The trick is to adjust them correctly.

Only downside is if left in the rain on the sidestand, water seeps into the right side (open) hub, meaning you'll have extremely touchy brakes the first few times you touch the handle.

RPG

Only downside is if left in the rain on the sidestand, water seeps into the right side (open) hub, meaning you'll have extremely touchy brakes the first few times you touch the handle.
    And the solution to that whole bag of worms, which I finally discovered after years of replacing my brakes with OEM shoes, is to install EBC brake shoes. The lining material is incredible. No grabbing, ever, and improved braking performance overall.

EBC P/N: 864, front
    EBC P/N: 860, rear.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    Both my riding buddies from the '60's want to relocate the under tank front brake master cylinder to the handlebars. A '75 R75/6 and the other an original owner '75 R60/6.

Charlie
    This thread morphed from a disc brake model the owners wanted to convert to BARS master cylinder, to drum brakes.
    The specific parts one needs, for a full and correct conversion to put the MC on the bars, is not short. Many do only partially.
    The information is located in my brakes article: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/brakes.htm
    Scan way down to 8A, 8B, 8C.

snowbum