• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Grand Canyon (Pennsylvania's) and Back

Great report. Thanks for taking the time to post it. My wife and I were through there in August and had a wonderful ride. I always knew PA had mountains, but I was pleasantly surprised with how beautiful the area is. :bikes

Now I know why they're called the Endless Mountains.:laugh

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great ride. Thats a nice solo trip and good mileage, especially on the S.

Since I don't own an RT yet:stick I had some reservations about the S but the heated option won me over. I've never done more than long day trips on it before and wasn't sure how back to back to back days would go. I also stopped plenty of times, at least twice a day for gas.:whistle I wouldn't want to ride on the interstate all day, but this trip was great with the S.

Nice trip and photos. There are many awsome roads in this area. I was through this region about one month ago doing some gravel road exploration.

Since I don't own an RT yet:stick I had some reservations about the S but the heated option won me over. I've never done more than long day trips on it before and wasn't sure how back to back to back days would go. I also stopped plenty of times, at least twice a day for gas.:whistle I wouldn't want to ride on the interstate all day, but this trip was great with the S.
I loved being in the Poconos on my S last year and had a blast. The Nova Scotia trip on the S was also a blast but I think its also what got me thinking seriously about a new bike.

You want any parts? I got lots of S goodies around.

Terance, great report, I've been on some of those roads when we went riding to a friends cabin. Would love to spend more time up that way. I had been trying to get some guys to do a weekender, but we can never get our schedules together. Looks like it will have to wait 'til spring now. We head back to New Orleans for a week on 11/11 to continue Katrina relief, so with travel it eats up 2 weekends. It wil be December before I have any free time..................:sick

Thanks for the great pictures, John

Quick put those beakers down. It is bad chemistry showing people central Vermont and labeling it as Pennsylvania. Please everyone stay away. First off we are the Keystone state that means everyone headed to or from the Northeast must pass this way. That means lots of traffic, trucks, cars, and hikers. The eastern areas are bedroom communities for New York City and Philadelphia. So if you want to meet those kind go to the City, they do.

Infrastructure ? Well all our bridges are falling down, our roads rival those of Columbia and east Africa so if you want GS practice you will be fine but stay home. The roads go no where except to ancient Native American hunting grounds. Great places with acid rain filled lakes and bug infested trees. Most of the remote cabins in these wonderful lush forests are meth labs that help your children become business people in High School. I guess that is why Pennsylvania has a booming Dept. of Corrections.

People ? First the hole state was a coal field, lumber lot, or a Railroad that employed cheap European labor to fuel the industrial revolution. For the women there were silk mills. The Place is full of second and third generation eastern Europeans, 7th generation Germans, and our newest generation of Hispanics which is a Gringo name (because I trying to keep the thread small by not listing all the countries). One town was able to push only English spoken here theme and now it is signed into law. The only trouble they can't find someone to teach it. Don't forget the Russians are coming. Of course they have great restaurants here but the state decreased Public Health funding also.

Animals ? Lots of deer that can get you killed, the center counties have Elk somewhere. We have ground hogs or what we can woodchucks which move as fast as a cider block. Don't worry most of the road kill was dragged off by Mountain Lions so no fear waiting for the volunteer ambulance and being struck again. Other dangers are the Elderly. I think we are ranked 3rd for the most in the US. They sure can keep your skills sharp. The Amish trained their horses to **** on the roads to add to the driving pleasure.

Our towns are dying or being filled up with what was chased out of New York and Philadelphia. They are old coal patch towns now abandoned or becoming a super fund clean up sites. After all where do you think the eastern seaboard puts their trash ? Please stay away there is nothing here. Unless you want to see where Hillery grew up, our next President.

Wow sounds like a Great Rally Site. :) At least by this report and photos.

That's what I meant to say but couldn't find the words. You'll also have to start paying to use I-80. Better to bypass PA all together.

Super

:wow :wave :wave

:wave
Picture010-2.jpg
Picture012-1.jpg
Short drive to the lake.

loved your pics.:wave Happy Halloween.

Picture010-2.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture017.jpg

I would like to find the Grand Cannon; A my pics are from the Newcastle area.
Picture016.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

Terence-
From the looks of your trip report, you've got about 99% of what needs figuring out figured out. Thanks for the report.

campground

Great report and pictures!

We ride this area alot and have found a great campground just outside of Wellsboro Pa. that is motorcycle friendly.

http://www.stonyforkcamp.com/

thanks for taking time to share your trip with us.

jason

Nice trip and photos. There are many awsome roads in this area. I was through this region about one month ago doing some gravel road exploration. here's a shot of Cherry Springs Park Potter County. It's known as the darkest spot in the North Eastern U.S.

Attachments

• Cherry Springs Park.JPG
    Cherry Springs Park.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 117
Route 44 is a nice road. Watch out for deer this time of year. The summertime is a great season the explore the gravel roads and ATV trails in the area. It's a nice playground for us GS folks. Here's a photo of Cherry Springs Vista right off Route 44:

Attachments

• Cherry Springs Vista.JPG
    Cherry Springs Vista.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 115
Terence,
You are so right about the road up to Hyner View, it's a very nice climb and the view is incredible. When leaving the view, take the only dirt road to the right near the top of the mountain. This will shoot you over to Route 44 (this is where us GS folks take advantage of the rough roads).

Attachments

• Prouty Place State Park2.JPG
    Prouty Place State Park2.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 107
Thanks for sharing and great pics.Statdawg kindly showed me around the area of NE PA back in August. smooth mountain roads and spectacular views.Can't wait to go back..

Terrence, great report and pictures. You make me envious. I grew up along Rt120
11 miles east of Emporium. In fact, the picture you show and talk about The Bucktail Trail, is about 8 miles east of home. I remember that dip in the road well,
as I pass through it everytime I go back home. I always say each time I pass Hyner View, "I ought to go up there sometime". Did once as a kid but was too young to remember it. Florida is much nicer for us older folks now for at least half of the year.

Nice trip and photos. There are many awsome roads in this area. I was through this region about one month ago doing some gravel road exploration. here's a shot of Cherry Springs Park Potter County. It's known as the darkest spot in the North Eastern U.S.

Lyman Run isn't too far from Cherry Springs and the sky was certainly dark. I haven't seen a night sky like that in years. Luckily it cleared up that evening and I spent a lot of time looking up, though a little past full moon eventually rose. There was an article in the paper here recently about light pollution and mentioned Potter Co as having dark skies, which was another reason I wanted to go there, and Cherry Springs as being the first Dark Sky Park. I had thought about camping there but there's limited camping and in some areas you can't even have fires, though that might be when astronomy clubs are there.

Terence,
You are so right about the road up to Hyner View, it's a very nice climb and the view is incredible. When leaving the view, take the only dirt road to the right near the top of the mountain. This will shoot you over to Route 44 (this is where us GS folks take advantage of the rough roads).

I saw that road with the sign for PA44 on my way in and had planned on taking it on the way out. When I realized in was 5 miles of dirt I changed my mind. No sense of adventure. :dunno

Back