• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anybody have a K1200R Sport?

C

crgrbrts

I'm trying to decide between a K1200R Sport and an R1200ST as my next bike. I've ridden both long enough to have a solid impression of each.

The K-bike is faster, smoother and a bit more comfortable on long rides but, with a longer wheelbase, is not as "flickable" as the R1200ST. Nevertheless, with 163 hp, the K-bike feels better to this ex-racer, though the practical, street value of a top speed of 170 mph or so is dubious.

However, in common with highly tuned machines, the K1200R Sport seems to balk at low revs and low speeds. It hesitates at low revs unless the throttle is used with a great deal of assertiveness -- which can be unhandy in urban settings. It also backfires a LOT on the overrun. I'm wondering, though, if this might be an anomaly of the particular demo machine I've ridden. It's equipped with a Remus silencer that may not be a good match. (I've found that many aftermarket "improvements" actually undo the design engineers' good works).

Since a bike with a stock silencer is not available to me at the moment, I'd like to hear from those who have experience with the K1200R Sport. I have no quarrel with this bike on the highway, but find it a little intractable in traffic. How about you?

To give the R1200ST its due, it's a nice all-rounder, has that charming Boxer "rock", and pulls nicely in any gear. As for the funky headlight -- well, I'm actually beginning to like it!

Thanks.

Attachments

• choice_web.jpg
    choice_web.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 71
K1200R Sport is A-OK!

Well, I've answered my own question. I got to play on a K1200R ("naked" version) today with a stock exhaust. It did exhibit a flat spot at about 2800 RPM but was otherwise very smooth at low speeds and revs. So, my observation is that an aftermarket exhaust - or at least the particular Remus setup I experienced yesterday - actually degrades the performance of this fine motorcycle. Perhaps new computer mapping would help, but maybe not. Anyway, the stock exhaust works very nicely.

I was happily impressed with the bike and have decided to purchase a K1200R Sport. It should be arriving in the next couple of weeks and I'll follow up with photos when she's delivered.

2 things

The R1200ST has more luggage capacity.

I'm glad you mentioned the Remus exhaust. There are those who swear that it adds horsepower. I'm not one of them. It seems to be the loader is more powerful mentality.:groovy

Back