• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Boots for the GS rider?

KBasa said:
:dunno

I like those funky BMW boots....

But then again, look at what I ride.
heh

Having looked like a bag of skittles (Rubber Cow's words, not mine) for some years, I'm leaning towards something a bit more tasteful and subdued. BUT given the choice between good looking boots that don't quite work the way I want, and boots of "questionable" style that work well...I'll take the ones that work well.

Knary-I have a pair of Alpinstar "Vector" boots that I love. Although they might not fit your requirements in several areas. They're a little pricey (MSRP $233 but you can find the ~$200 if you shop around) the might be more water "resistant" than proof, I've worn mine in several rainy wet rides and they held up great, the have a neoprene liner and the front is mostly plastic, but the Pacific North-Wet, I don't know. Re-Sole, I don't know. Although most MX generally, and Alpinstar specifically are, these have a molded sole so I can't say.
Armor, they got it, comfort they got it. I wore them to Baja one year and I took my flip flops out of my panniers exactly once, to go to the beach, in 10 days. All day WALKING comfort. (Athough the two mile hike to a "point-confluence" location I did the first day I had them was a bit much!:cry )
alp_vector_boots_bkgry.gif

dlearl said:
Knary-I have a pair of Alpinstar "Vector" boots that I love. Although they might not fit your requirements in several areas. They're a little pricey (MSRP $233 but you can find the ~$200 if you shop around) the might be more water "resistant" than proof, I've worn mine in several rainy wet rides and they held up great, the have a neoprene liner and the front is mostly plastic, but the Pacific North-Wet, I don't know. Re-Sole, I don't know. Although most MX generally, and Alpinstar specifically are, these have a molded sole so I can't say.
Armor, they got it, comfort they got it. I wore them to Baja one year and I took my flip flops out of my panniers exactly once, to go to the beach, in 10 days. All day WALKING comfort. (Athough the two mile hike to a "point-confluence" location I did the first day I had them was a bit much!:cry )
alp_vector_boots_bkgry.gif

:thumb

Thanks.

Two questions....

1. How waterproof are the Discovery's (assuming the river isn't up to your knees :D )?

2. Have you looked at the BMW Savannah's? I haven't tried them on yet but they look like they'd be a good compromise between on road and off.

Has anyone owned a pair of the Savanna's and can give some feedback on them?

(Okay, I guess that was three questions, sorry ;) .

Makalu said:
Two questions....

1. How waterproof are the Discovery's (assuming the river isn't up to your knees :D )?

2. Have you looked at the BMW Savannah's? I haven't tried them on yet but they look like they'd be a good compromise between on road and off.

Has anyone owned a pair of the Savanna's and can give some feedback on them?

(Okay, I guess that was three questions, sorry ;) .

The Discovery boots are supposed to be fantastic...but a bit on the massive/clunky side for everyday use.

The BMW offerings look like exactly what I want, but the price is simply too much. Hmmm...I a little mental calculation...20% off through Chicago BMW would put the Savannah boots right in my price range. I'm going to go try some on ASAP.

knary said:
:D
I'll have to see them in the flesh and on my feet.

MPY = Monkey Piss Yellow
That's what more than a few blasphemers call the mandarin yellow.

Thanks Knary, now I have to repaint my bike!:cry

Jim

I Bought the Daytona Road Star GTX

Knary,

I know you mentioned the Daytona boots to be too pricey, but I looked and looked and they seemed to be the only boots I liked that were big enough for my duck feet. (14 ish)

Granted they were around $300 and I had to wait for Germany to kill enough cows to make them, I'm pretty happy overall. Helimot was terrific, even with the rotten delevery time. (seems I ordered them over December and Germany shut down?)

I use to drag a little in tight corners before, not at all since I started wearing these. Guess I'll see how they are in the heat of a CA summer.

Good luck in your search.

Scott

Re: I Bought the Daytona Road Star GTX

ScottM said:
Knary,

I know you mentioned the Daytona boots to be too pricey, but I looked and looked and they seemed to be the only boots I liked that were big enough for my duck feet. (14 ish)

Granted they were around $300 and I had to wait for Germany to kill enough cows to make them, I'm pretty happy overall. Helimot was terrific, even with the rotten delevery time. (seems I ordered them over December and Germany shut down?)

I use to drag a little in tight corners before, not at all since I started wearing these. Guess I'll see how they are in the heat of a CA summer.

Good luck in your search.

Scott

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm heading up to Seattle some time in the next couple weeks. I seem to remember one of the shops up there carrying the Daytonas. I'll try them on.

knary said:
would You wear those?

I'll try them on at some point. If they're a perfect comfy fit, I'll do what I can to ignore their hideousnous. But I can only do so much. Maybe they look better in person?

Mother's Back to Black ought to take care of that :)

I just ordered some Combat Touring Boots earlier. I think they'll
be just the ticket.

Ian

CTB's arrived the other day and I must say they are nice
and cozy.

They're not as stiff as an mx boot but they're not as flexible
as a regular riding boot either. I liken mx boots to ski boots.
Great to ride in but you sure wouldn't want to walk in them.

CTB's are easy to walk in but I doubt you'd want to walk
any distance because your feet would end up in little puddles.
But you could. Wore them around yesterday just to break them
in. I was comfortable.

They're quick and easy to get on or off.

They do take some getting used to as well. The toe box doesn't
fit as well under the shifter (on the RT), brake side took
time to learn the feel of lever. I had a couple of panic like stops
when I misjudged the pressure on the lever :uhoh

Haven't ridden them any distance yet. Perhaps this weekend.

Ian

I use the Combat Tourers. Treated as recommended by
Sidi, they are pretty much waterproof. In touring use, have been through several downpours, and have not had a damp sock. One thing I have been told by two major boot makers is never to put anything containing animal fats on leather, as it will eventually rot the leather. Many of the recommended treatment products are beeswax/silicone mixtures.

:thumb
Thanks for the info guys.
The CBT's are looking better and better for my needs.

I was looking at my old BMW Gortex boots yesterday. They have a few failure points: 1. the soles. 2. the stitching. The CBT's aren't made up of multiple panels like the BMW boots, and can be resoled by any decent cobbler. Sounds good to me.

Back