• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Boots for the GS rider?

knary

looking for a coal mine
I need some new boots. What I want...

1. Waterproof. I live in the Pacific Northwet.

2. Armor. It must have ankle and shin armor

3. a hint of the MX. While it isn't my natural environment, I do get off pavement from time to time. My old BMW gortex boots have too much flex in the sole for standing on the pegs for a long time. Also, while they do offer excellent protection for street riding, they're a bit too soft for off-pavement stuff. This past sunday, for example, I wacked my toe something good when a log got kicked up and hit the front of my very soft boots.

4. walkable. This will be my touring boot. I'll wear it everywhere.

5. Under $250 or so. As much as some boots like the Daytona Trans Opens are, I can't afford them.

6. IF possible: I want something that can be resoled.

I might see if, with some work, I can rehab the old BMW Gortex boots into something more rugged, but I think they're about done (80k miles, two getoffs).

Attachments

• 400a.jpg
    400a.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 506
boxergrrlie said:
Have you checked out the Aerostitch Combat Touring Boots?

Aerostitch Store

I've thought about them and they're still on the list. But I prefer something with armor and specifically waterproof - though they are almost so. I hate wet feet. :)

Ever consider insulated steel toed work or hiking boots? They are comfortable to walk in, cooler, and you can waterproof them. The toe is wider than a riding boot, they will drag on an RT, in the curves, but not in your GS. Jon, the Frugal Rider

Dark Cloud said:
Ever consider insulated steel toed work or hiking boots? They are comfortable to walk in, cooler, and you can waterproof them. The toe is wider than a riding boot, they will drag on an RT, in the curves, but not in your GS. Jon, the Frugal Rider

I've ridden more than a few miles in hiking boots and know a fair number of riders that swear by them. But having had a getoff or two, I want something with armor in it. Also, steel toed boots give me the heebeejeebies. The idea of the steel toe box getting crunched down on my little piggies.... :eek

I'm looking for something a little more walkable than these...
g2314.jpg

but more rugged than these (these need armor)...
g2281.jpg

This points me right at these....
transopen.jpg

or these...
02_Boot_Savanna6.jpg

But I can't spend $300+ on a pair of boots.

I kinda like those plasticky ones BMW is selling now, but I'll probably wind up with a pair of those Daytonas. I think I've got 6 or 7 years on my current Daytonas, so I figure buying them is money well spent.

I tend to be, well, rough on riding gear.

I've been wearing Sidi Vertebra II Tepor's for a couple years on both bikes. They are a great improvement over the Rocket Rhino's I was wearing. They're not really a GS boot, but they work well for me!

Hey, Scott - I've got about 20,000 miles on my Combat Touring boots and have found them to be pretty damn waterproof considering they're all leather. If it looks like it'll be wet any time soon I just spend 15 minutes gobbing them up with mink oil and all's well. Part of the equation is what you wear in conjunction with your footgear - my 'stitch helps with water shedding.

syeager said:
Hey, Scott - I've got about 20,000 miles on my Combat Touring boots and have found them to be pretty damn waterproof considering they're all leather. If it looks like it'll be wet any time soon I just spend 15 minutes gobbing them up with mink oil and all's well. Part of the equation is what you wear in conjunction with your footgear - my 'stitch helps with water shedding.

Thanks!

fish said:
How about these?

03-Boots-Enduro-a.jpg

$275 and they'll match your MPY bike too. :D

would You wear those?

I'll try them on at some point. If they're a perfect comfy fit, I'll do what I can to ignore their hideousnous. But I can only do so much. Maybe they look better in person?

Hideous? I think they're cool! And they say GS! And they're the same color as yer bike! And, and....what's MPY by the way?

boxergrrlie said:
Hideous? I think they're cool! And they say GS! And they're the same color as yer bike! And, and....what's MPY by the way?
:D
I'll have to see them in the flesh and on my feet.

MPY = Monkey Piss Yellow
That's what more than a few blasphemers call the mandarin yellow.

Kary, how much protection do ya want?

As you know, the more protection, the less walk'n ability.

The most protective MX boot can provide comfort for all day ride'n, it's the walk'n that is the issue.

For me, I use my Sidi On Roads for just that, on road. I use my Sidi Discoveries for off road.

The reason I don't use On Roads or CTB for off road is they offer no real support if ya have to put yur foot out to catch yourself on a 600 lb. beast. My ankle just rolls over in my On Roads if I do that. In my Discoveries my ankle is supported.

A second reason is the stiff sole of the Discovery, or any off road boot, allows you to stand on the pegs in rough stuff for hours with no foot pain.

I can spend 12+ hour days in my Discoveries with no problem. I just carry sandals or tennis shoes to change into when IÔÇÖm gonna be walkÔÇÖn much.

Rad said:
Kary, how much protection do ya want?

As you know, the more protection, the less walk'n ability.

The most protective MX boot can provide comfort for all day ride'n, it's the walk'n that is the issue.

For me, I use my Sidi On Roads for just that, on road. I use my Sidi Discoveries for off road.

The reason I don't use On Roads or CTB for off road is they offer no real support if ya have to put yur foot out to catch yourself on a 600 lb. beast. My ankle just rolls over in my On Roads if I do that. In my Discoveries my ankle is supported.

A second reason is the stiff sole of the Discovery, or any off road boot, allows you to stand on the pegs in rough stuff for hours with no foot pain.

I can spend 12+ hour days in my Discoveries with no problem. I just carry sandals or tennis shoes to change into when IÔÇÖm gonna be walkÔÇÖn much.

Rad,
Thanks for the notes. I was hoping you might chime in.

how much protection? I don't really know. I'm a street guy that's only just discovered how much fun it is to ride off-pavement and that my street boots aren't up to the task. Since my street boots are dying, and my budget is only so big, this next pair needs to split the difference. I'm certainly not going to use/abuse them like you would, but won't coddle them like Fish would either. :D

I think I want a Discovery Light.

-scott

p.s. Your idea of bringing along a pair of light walking shoes along is a bit too easy and intelligent. :)

knary said:
p.s. Your idea of bringing along a pair of light walking shoes along is a bit too easy and intelligent. :)

My think'n is: I always wanna have good enough walk'n/hike'n shoes and enough water to walk out of any place I've off roaded into.

Get'n new gear is always fun.

Good luck

Rad said:
My think'n is: I always wanna have good enough walk'n/hike'n shoes and enough water to walk out of any place I've off roaded into.

Get'n new gear is always fun.

Good luck

Again, thanks.

One silly question:
How are you securing your riding boots when you're off walking around?

-scott

p.s. you should post one of those recent shots of you in the mud.

Back