• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmets -- the great and not-so-great

I bought a Shoei X-11 last year and looked at the Bombardier Modular when I was looking around. A friend of mine bought one and says it works really well for him. The only thing I see that could possibly be a problem is the face shield is two layer flexible plastic vs. a single layer hard plastic like every street helmet I've seen. I don't know it that makes a difference really or not. The dealer (of course) said it did. But then again, it was a Honda place..(ick...I said the "H" word) :fart :rolleyes

Re: Re: Ski-doo helmet

JimVonBaden said:
The web site says it's DOT rated, but doesn't say if that is for the street, and it isn't snell rated. I would like to see more.

From what I've been able to learn about the DOT standard, it's the same for all motor vehicle helmets. The standard (FMVSS 218) itself states that it's intended for "motorcyclists and other motor vehicle users." There do not appear to be separate standards for motorcycles and snowmobiles. If you want to read the whole bloody text of the DOT standard here's a link to it:

FMVSS 218 (DOT helmet standard)

Snell does not have a separate category for snowmobile helmets. They seem to have standards for just about anything else, including skiing, go-karts, and mopeds, but not snowmobiles. I presume the motorcycle and/or automotive racing standards would probably be good enough :D. If you're interested in browing the various Snell standards, here they are:

Catalog of Snell helmet standards

Finally, in case you weren't aware of it, there's an updated Snell motorcycle helmet standard on the way, slated for 2005. It will include, among other things, explicit standards for flip-up helmets (essentially they'll have to meet all the same standards as a regular full-face helmet). For a summary of the changes in the new 2005 standards see

Summary of changes in Snell 2005 standards

For for full draft standards see:

Snell draft standards

Back