• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

One Year with the R1200RT

RocketCowboy

Let's Ride!
Yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of my bringing home my first BMW.

A couple of thoughts on the bike:

Still enjoying it incredibly! I traded a two year old Honda ST1300A with just over 37K miles on it for the RT. No regrets!

Over the past year, the RT has consumed some 559 gallons of premium fuel, and almost 5 maintenance intervals. The average fuel economy has been 41.9MPG during the course of the year. She's gone through 3 sets of tires in that time, only scaring me with tire wear once ... with the original Bridgestone BT020s that ended their life rather quickly out in Utah.

While I did most all of the maintenance on the Honda myself, and decided to let the BMW shop do all of the maintenance on the RT, my maintenance costs for the year were only $1446.78 for the regularly scheduled service. Add another $1761.33 for misc service like tire changes and the Autocom installation (which was 2/3rds of the entire misc service for the year), and I'd say the cost of service was well worth my not having to spend the time to do the work myself, allowing me instead to go straight from working to riding.

Overall, 23,748 new miles on the odometer, and even more smiles on the rider over that time! :)

Thanks for the report. It is very encouraging to me while I am waiting for delivery of my new RT. Non-BMW people have raised concerns about the complexity of the bike and the problems the electronic technology can cause. It sounds like this has not been a problem for you. It seems the main source of complaints about BMW's come from those that don't own one. :)

...Over the past year, the RT has consumed some 559 gallons of premium fuel, and almost 5 maintenance intervals. The average fuel economy has been 41.9MPG during the course of the year...

I'm curious about your fuel mileage. What type of driving do you do most often -- city, highway, highspeed? Are you sure your throttle-bodies have been properly synchronized? Any unusual vibration?

I have had an '07 R1200RT for just under one year, and over 17,000 miles now.

I have had a very different experience with fuel economy. I have averaged consistantly over 50 mpg -- usually between 52 and 54 mpg. My driving is mostly on Florida backroads with speed limits between 45mph and 60mph. Even when riding solely on the Interstate at or above 70 mph, I average 45 to 50 mpg. And, I'm sporting a, not so small, aftermarket Z-Technik V-Stream windshield.

And for PROFESSOR: I haven't experienced ANY problems with my RT -- electrical of otherwise. Well, a low-beam bulb burned out -- and replacing a headlamp bulb requires a high degree of manual dexterity.

I don't get that kind of milage

My bike only has about 500 miles on it but I can't get close to 50. I am averaging about 44-45 I would say. I do ride pretty hard so I am sure thats a lot of it.

One year and 14,000

I am also getting over 50 mpg but most of my riding is with my wife and usually we do the speed limit or just a little above.
No problems other than that stupid oil light that can go through all 3 readings in one ride. I talked to the dealer and they said there is no problem with it. It doen't bother me since I always check the sight glass before a ride out of town.
The more I use the radio through the AudioCom the more I like it, CD is junk but I just put a MP3 player through the system and works great.
With those dual headlights and motolights on the front brake calipers I have great visibility.
That large travel trunk and saddle bags grab up all we need for trips.
Cruise control saves my wrist and hand. . .wow that works as good as any car. I am always looking for the switch all my old GS.
So far I like the Michelin Pilot Road tire the best.
ESA is perfect, the wife decides what setting to us.
I am getting use to all those bells and whistles on the Silver Streak and I get on my GS and it really feels old!

gpodzo

Rt Mpg

My friend John got 62.3 mpg on his 06' RT on the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall riding the speed limit or a little above (45-50mph).

I'm curious about your fuel mileage. What type of driving do you do most often -- city, highway, highspeed? Are you sure your throttle-bodies have been properly synchronized? Any unusual vibration?

Most of my riding has been long distance oriented, so extended hours in the 80-85mph area. (I tend to ride 8-10mph over the speed limit when outside of the city ... Texas speed limits being what they are, it's a great thing).

The fuel economy number quoted was what I calculated, based on gallons used over the miles ridden ... it assumes the odometer is fairly accurate.

I will say, I have a rather large Aeroflow windscreen on the bike, so no doubt that is costing me some fuel economy. I also have the large 49 liter top box. The bike is generally pretty loaded up, with the saddle bags full, and the top box usually holding a laptop, camera, and a couple other lightweight items. I generally have all my clothes in a MotoFixx tail bag strapped to the rear seat.

Several of us have played around with 5th versus 6th gear on the highway. I tend to see better gas mileage by staying in 5th gear, and so that's what I've done most of the year. In 5th gear, at ~82mph, I'm usually right at about 5000 RPMs on the motor. I'm basing my 5th vs 6th gear fuel economy based solely on what the trip computer is telling me .... I haven't done any long range tank-to-tank kind of evaluation. When I'm off the Interstate and having fun in the twisties, the fuel economy usually comes up to 47-49mpg. I don't think I've ever seen over 50 mpg indicated for anything length of time.

Thanks for the report. It is very encouraging to me while I am waiting for delivery of my new RT. Non-BMW people have raised concerns about the complexity of the bike and the problems the electronic technology can cause. It sounds like this has not been a problem for you. It seems the main source of complaints about BMW's come from those that don't own one. :)

I agree with that assessment. Generally, the people who want to argue with me over the reliability of the hexheads are people who haven't owned them, who are going off third person reports from the Internet. I know of one single problem bike that's given it's owner repeated problems, but none of the rest of my friends bikes have given them a lick of trouble.

And my 06 still has the servo brakes that your 07 changed away from. As much as people complained about the servo brakes, I actually kind of like them. Took me a little bit to get used to them, but no problems with them out on the road. I've got two fuse blocks under the seat for my accessories, so no problems with CANBUS either.

I have had an '07 R1200RT for just under one year, and over 17,000 miles now.

I have had a very different experience with fuel economy. I have averaged consistantly over 50 mpg -- usually between 52 and 54 mpg. My driving is mostly on Florida backroads with speed limits between 45mph and 60mph. Even when riding solely on the Interstate at or above 70 mph, I average 45 to 50 mpg. And, I'm sporting a, not so small, aftermarket Z-Technik V-Stream windshield.

And for PROFESSOR: I haven't experienced ANY problems with my RT -- electrical of otherwise. Well, a low-beam bulb burned out -- and replacing a headlamp bulb requires a high degree of manual dexterity.

I get about 42 on mine. Of course, I ride it pretty hard and I'm running CA gas through it...

No problems other than that stupid oil light that can go through all 3 readings in one ride. I talked to the dealer and they said there is no problem with it. It doen't bother me since I always check the sight glass before a ride out of town.

gpodzo

There is an upgrade for that, which requires a new float on the switch and a software upgrade. My 05 drove me crazy with the constant low oil warning lights until my dealer did the upgrade, now it only comes on when the oil is nearing the bottom of the sight glass.

I also get above 50MPG, but I ride the speed limit. Summer of 06, doing 50 MPH all day in 5th gear on the Natchez Trace, I got 64 MPG!. :wave

Happy RT Owner

I have a 05 RT with 13,000 on the clock. BMW put in a new computer at 10,000miles NC. I love the bike more each time I ride it. I was getting 50, 51 MPG. I put on a pipe which sounds great. Now I get 48 MPG. It may be a bit faster? Most of the time I run with cases off and my summer wind screen. I do use a tank bag.
CW

First Year for my 2006 R1200RT

I've meticuously documented every mile, repair, tire wear for about 30,000 miles in my first year.

My wife and I traveled with a Uni-Go trailer throughout the USA and Canada before calling it a halt due to an accident in the Gaspesie Peninsula. We accumulated almost 10,000 miles this summer two up. We got anywhere from 38-52 miles per gallon premium gas. We also rode about 95% backroads whose speed consisted from 45-70 mph. The highest cost of gasoline was in Canada at about $4.76 per gallon. The RT performed flawlessly. I needed to replace my low beam bulb and then the high beam bulb in San Antonio, Texas and Santa Fe, NM. Oil changes were done in NM. A rear tire needed changed in Kansas, KS. The comfort of the RT for this long trip was simply superb. Daily accumulated miles were anywhere from 200-620 miles depending on local attractions. The RT did not miss beat in regard to acceleration, stopping, balance, and ride. A lovely bike indeed. I had the 49 l topcase and the V-stream windshield plus EVO brakes.
The bike was loaded to the hilt and was careful to balance the weigh evenly. Pulling the Uni-Go single wheel trailer hardly made a dent in the fuel economy. As far as I know this model is the equivalent of the venerable GSA except its made for the asphalt. We tried some gravel and dirt roads with difficulty all due to the tires and its low clearance, other than that she's one of a kind all you ought to be proud of.

Motorradfahrer said,
The comfort of the RT for this long trip was simply superb.

Was that with the stock seat, or do you have a custom? What was the accident? Any injuries?

We tried some gravel and dirt roads with difficulty all due to the tires and its low clearance, other than that she's one of a kind all you ought to be proud of.

Interesting. I've not had any problems on gravel roads ... the RT has been quite confidence inspiring for me off-road. I rode up the Moki Dugway in Utah on the RT back in May, and the later did a good bit of (now) gravel alignment for Route 66 in eastern New Mexico. All maintained roads, but other than the tires being kind of slick, she did well for me.

Motorradfahrer said,

Was that with the stock seat, or do you have a custom? What was the accident? Any injuries?

Professor ...

I've been using the stock seat for the first year. I've been using a BeadRider beaded seat cover for the last half of the year. I've got a ride-in scheduled with Russell for next month, but in the interim I've been able to get by with the stock saddle.

Any news on when your bike will be ready?

1500 in 36 hours

Using the RT on Iron Butts is almost cheating. With cruise control and hooked up to Autocom through the BMW radio and CD the miles just rolls by.
Stock seat is fine especially with the heated element.
Moki Dugway is out of the question for my RT, I do not want chips down on the fairing. I will stick with my old war horse GS for that.
Good comments and the RT is a great bike but living in Colorado and always going to the desert southwest requires a GS also.

gpodzo

No more Go Rockies:banghead

I pick up the bike tomorrow (Wednesday) at 3:00. I've got the insurance and everything else I can think of taken care of. I'm very excited. I just hope there are no fights when I close up the RT and my Moto Guzzi together in the garage.

I can hardly wait for the weekend. :clap

Good luck

All I can do is wish Professor good luck with the purchase. The RT knows its place in the garage with my old beat up 02 GS which is king kong top dog mucho numero one But when it comes to trips with the wife. . .uncover the silver RT and it automatically feels like vacation time.
Keeps us informed on the purchase and options you got.

gpodzo

Geology rocks!

I picked up the RT yesterday and rode about 20 miles (all I had time for). It felt good. My Jackal feels good in the curves, but the RT is better. Of course the brakes are superb. Since I'm breaking in, I can't really compare acceleration because I have to keep the rpm down during the break-in period. :mad

The two bikes look good together in the garage - both silver, both European, both quality motorcycles. I'll be commuting to work this morning so I'll get a bit more experience.

I'm anxious to get it out on the open road and down into the Texas Hill Country for a good workout. My opportunity is limited because I'm teaching MSF classes the next 4 weekends in a row, but I'll slip in some riding here and there. Fortunately, Dallas winters rarely interfere with riding.

I'm sure there are some other threads on this, but any tips on the care and feeding of my new friend will be most welcome.

Back