• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Has anyone tried glove liners?

beeryboats

After buying what I thought would be a good all-round riding glove from Olympia, I found it doesn't keep my hands warm at lower temps. While shopping for something to keep my neck and face warm, my wife found some glove liners. For $12 I thought I would give them a try!

With the price of gas projected to reach $4 a gallon, I may be riding well into winter and beyond.

Jay

I've been using them for as long as I can remember; both for keeping my hands warmer and so that the black dye in all-leather unlined gloves doesn't stain my hands.

I used glove liners for a couple of years, then I tried heated glove liners, and ended up settling on heated gloves.

For me, glove liners helped some, but still didn't get me to the temperature ranges I wanted. Heated glove liners were kind of a disaster for me ... I never could find a pair of gloves that the heated glove liners fit into well, while still having any kind of dexterity to be able to operate the bike. Heated gloves have been the final solution for me, and I'm quite happy with my Gerbing G3s.

silk

i've used silk glove liners for 25 years or more. In fact, now I think of it, I'm still wearing the same ones. They're torn and have runs, but they make a real difference under any gloves. They're very thin, pack small, and aren't expensive.

I have a pair of Under Armor gloves that I occasionally use as glove liners. They are good for days when I underestimate the weather, and help to an appreciable degree, but I recently purchased G3s for really cold days starting out. It can't hurt to have a pair of liners because they pack small and can make a difference on marginal days. I haven't tried silk, but I guessing they'd be pretty effective (kind of like merino wool--light, but warm). If you're gonna be riding in the cold, I'd give serious consideration to heated gear.

I've had good luck with silk glove liners, as well. I really didn't think it would make a big difference, but they do. I lost one of my insulated gloves on a trip this summer (long story) so I had a mesh glove on one hand - in 39 degree weather. I put on BOTH silk liners with a heat pack shoved in between and then jammed my hand into my mesh glove for it's protective properties. The silk liners made a big difference... plus they're cheap and pack small.

After buying what I thought would be a good all-round riding glove from Olympia, I found it doesn't keep my hands warm at lower temps. While shopping for something to keep my neck and face warm, my wife found some glove liners. For $12 I thought I would give them a try!

With the price of gas projected to reach $4 a gallon, I may be riding well into winter and beyond.

Jay

Remember that the fingers go into the glove first and that the thumbs should be on the inside of the glove. :stick

Thermasilk Glove Liners REI

I've been using Thermasilk glove liners for a long time, they work great.

I don't have to use those bulky winter gloves as often, my summer gloves with the liners work most of the time.

REI sells them.

liners

I use them yearround. I find they prevent that sore spot on your throttle hand between your thumb and first finger. Especially if you are riding in the twisties... BMw silk one are great... Just bought some of that LD Rider underwear too. incredible.... very nice

I used silk lines last spring in 22F actual temps underneath my summer gloves. They worked ok. Better was the BMW winter gloves that I used to the dealer on Saturday. 1.6 hour ride one way in 36F actual temp. with clouds and wind. I didn't get a bit cold and had no liners and didn't turn on the grips at all.

I can't say enough good things about the BMW winter gloves or the BMW lightly insulated rain suit. Klimacomfort I think it's called. We'll see, but it's not likely I'll need the liners at all this winter with these gloves.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

I use silk liners under my deerskin gloves & a pair of thin knit liners (the kind construction workers use) under my rain gloves (chemical gloves from hardware store) when it's cold n wet ..me love liners!!

Yup. Just used them yesterday on the way to and from Indiana for an important Official Motorcycle Luncheon. (temps in the 30's in the morning then up to mid 50's and back down to the high 40's on the way home.)

Back