• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

08 Rally Roads!

One of the big attractions for me will be some of the unpaved routes in the area. I'm prepared to take my Delorme and my GPS and go exploring, but I would sure like to hear about some unpaved riding from someone who has ridden the area extensively.

Wow!!! he can count!

Congratulations! You're responsible for 14 out the 23 posts on your own thread. Are you running out of roads? :snore
No, not at all.:) Soon, I will be posting some road for the GSers! FYI, I will be responsible for more posts, yes on my own thread. That was the hole idea.:nyah I'm trying to help members, look at there maps, to suggest trips and help plan for a good trip to the 08 rally. :thumb

No, not at all.:) Soon, I will be posting some road for the GSers! FYI, I will be responsible for more posts, yes on my own thread. That was the hole idea.:nyah I'm trying to help members, look at there maps, to suggest trips and help plan for a good trip to the 08 rally. :thumb

In all seriousness, Rharrod, rah, rah, sis boom ba to you, my friend! I appreciate this thread a lot as I am planning based on it! Not the GSers stuff as I ride an S, but the trips to date are grand, indeed. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks. Jordan M aka Tweety1 :wave

Congratulations! You're responsible for 14 out the 23 posts on your own thread. Are you running out of roads? :snore
It's always hard to determine the meaning of some posts on the internet. I sure hope this wasn't intended as sarcasm, aimed at someone trying to post some constructive ideas.

Ok, Red and all GSers this one is for you.

This is for the GSers, Ok. I will start with some roads up in the Big Horn Mountains. Red Grade RD. Start from the town of Big Horn,WY. On the way this may be a good time to see Fort Phil Kearny it is a Nat'l Historic Landmark and has a State Museum as well. The whole area has a lot to see. It has lots of history as the Bozemen Trail went threw here! You must stop in and see the town of Store,WY. At Story there is a trail head. The Penrose Park trail. I have not been up it in years. But dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, horse back and hikers use it. It would be a tough trip on a GS I'm thinking. Also you would need to get a Permit to do so!!!!! Now on up to Big Horn. From Store,WY take HW 87 North to Big Horn. ( This maybe no help, but on 87 north part way up is a dirt county road that will take you to Big Horn. Ya I know. It's a road I take but I just can't think of the name. Sing will say to State Bird Farm, Maybe someone will know the name. ) At Big Horn Go West. At the Nat'l Forest it is road NF26 Red Grade road. This Road will take you up top of the Big Horn Mountains. If you take it all the way, you will come out on HW 14 just South of Burgess Junction. Up there I would go right and go up to Burgess Junction and stop in for a drink, Gas or a bite to eat. From there take NF15 road loop North. This loop will take you around to HW 14ALt. Now from there you may as will go right and stop over at the Medicine Wheel site. Yep, just something more to see!!! After that Take 14Alt back to Burgess Junction. From there You might take HW14 down throw Shell Canyon and see the water falls. I'm NOT a GSer, SO I don't know how you would be on time at this point. Maybe you can do a big loop and come out just South of Buffalo,WY. Back threw Shell Canyon and down to Shell,WY. Just past Shell on the way to Greybull,WY is a road called the Red Gulch Natl. Scenic Byway. This will take you South to Hyattvill,WY. From there stay South to Ten Sleep,WY. Stop have a cold one and maybe gas.Now your at HY16. Head back up the Big Horns and over to Buffalo,WY. On this rout you GSers may like to take NF31 that is a small loop back out to HW 16 on the way down the East side to Buffalo. Or at Ten Sleep, if you still have the time. Out from Ten Sleep there is a road that will take you up back side of Ten Sleep Canyon and up to NF32. Take NF32 North and all the way out to HW 16. From there go East down to Grazy Woman C.G. to NF33. Go on NF33 all the way down the Big Horns to HW 196. Now it maybe very late, so go North to Buffalo,WY and I-90 back to Gillette,WY.:thumb Now as noted before I don't know the time on this. But I think that it would be a fun trip. It maybe a two day trip also if you need time to look around a bit and you will. You just may have to stay a night in a camp ground up in the Big Horns. Now that would just be a pain.:rofl There is a lot more roads up there to see. I just hope, this will help you with a idea or two. Richard :rocker

This is for the GSers, Ok. I will start with some roads up in the Big Horn Mountains. Red Grade RD. Start from the town of Big Horn,WY. On the way this may be a good time to see Fort Phil Kearny it is a Nat'l Historic Landmark and has a State Museum as well. The whole area has a lot to see. It has lots of history as the Bozemen Trail went threw here! You must stop in and see the town of Store,WY. At Story there is a trail head. The Penrose Park trail. I have not been up it in years. But dirt bikes, 4 wheelers, horse back and hikers use it. It would be a tough trip on a GS I'm thinking. Also you would need to get a Permit to do so!!!!! Now on up to Big Horn. From Store,WY take HW 87 North to Big Horn. ( This maybe no help, but on 87 north part way up is a dirt county road that will take you to Big Horn. Ya I know. It's a road I take but I just can't think of the name. Sing will say to State Bird Farm, Maybe someone will know the name. ) At Big Horn Go West. At the Nat'l Forest it is road NF26 Red Grade road. This Road will take you up top of the Big Horn Mountains. If you take it all the way, you will come out on HW 14 just South of Burgess Junction. Up there I would go right and go up to Burgess Junction and stop in for a drink, Gas or a bite to eat. From there take NF15 road loop North. This loop will take you around to HW 14ALt. Now from there you may as will go right and stop over at the Medicine Wheel site. Yep, just something more to see!!! After that Take 14Alt back to Burgess Junction. From there You might take HW14 down throw Shell Canyon and see the water falls. I'm NOT a GSer, SO I don't know how you would be on time at this point. Maybe you can do a big loop and come out just South of Buffalo,WY. Back threw Shell Canyon and down to Shell,WY. Just past Shell on the way to Greybull,WY is a road called the Red Gulch Natl. Scenic Byway. This will take you South to Hyattvill,WY. From there stay South to Ten Sleep,WY. Stop have a cold one and maybe gas.Now your at HY16. Head back up the Big Horns and over to Buffalo,WY. On this rout you GSers may like to take NF31 that is a small loop back out to HW 16 on the way down the East side to Buffalo. Or at Ten Sleep, if you still have the time. Out from Ten Sleep there is a road that will take you up back side of Ten Sleep Canyon and up to NF32. Take NF32 North and all the way out to HW 16. From there go East down to Grazy Woman C.G. to NF33. Go on NF33 all the way down the Big Horns to HW 196. Now it maybe very late, so go North to Buffalo,WY and I-90 back to Gillette,WY.:thumb Now as noted before I don't know the time on this. But I think that it would be a fun trip. It maybe a two day trip also if you need time to look around a bit and you will. You just may have to stay a night in a camp ground up in the Big Horns. Now that would just be a pain.:rofl There is a lot more roads up there to see. I just hope, this will help you with a idea or two. Richard :rocker

Wow. SLOW DOWN I'm trying to write all this down, your going too fast :)

WAY, Richard! Thanks for all the great roads you're bringing up here, Karol P. you writing these down somewhere?

Feel free to post here any time Rharrod....Your posts are devoured in my daydreaming and will get me through my long Minnesota Winter on time!:type

Red

GSers Bozemen Trail ride and Loop!

This may be a fun little loop for you GSers! Lets start at Gillette. Take HW 14/16 North. Threw the Wyoming city of Spotted Horse.:laugh At the Powder River is 341 South. Take it South to the town of Arvda,WY. From there go South on the Dirt. The road should take you down to where the Crazy Women Creek comes into the Powder River. If you stay south with the Powder River you will come out at I-90 at exit 88 the rest area. Go West to Buffalo,WY. If you did not go south, stay with the road and follow Crazy Women west and out on top. this will take you out to I-90 Exit 65. From there go West I-90 to Buffalo,WY. At Buffalo take I-25 South. Stay South I-25 for like 10 miles or so to Exit 291. From here go east. This will be the dirt road that along side the Bozemen Trail. Take this all the way back down to the Powder River. In this Area here is Fort Reno Historic Site. Stay on the Road on into Sussex,WY. Here You will come out at HW 192. Take 192 South threw Linch,WY ans onto HW 387. Now take 387 East to Pine Tree Jct. HW 50. Take HW 50 North back into Gillette,WY. I hope you injoy this loop. ;) Richard

GSers the Black Hills WY/SD are endless.

OK, you can make up loop trips to no end here.;) AS you all get here to the Black Hills area, STOP and pick up one or two of the local Black Hills maps!!!!! This map is FREE. The map will show you most of the roads in the WY/SD Black Hills Area.:usa One trip you should do is from Four Corners. That is 18 miles North of Newcastle,WY on HW 85. Form Four Corners go East on the dirt to Deerfield,SD. So take road 810 to 110 into SD to Deerfield then East to Hill City,SD. That is a nice ride.:bolt Here is a Loop in Wyoming Black Hills that you can take, and also stop by Devils Tower. This could also be a fun trip. (Red, take fly rod ) From Gillette go to Moorcroft,WY. At exit 153 go North on dirt. This road will take you up to Oshoto,WY. From there you can go East and come out at HW 14 then East to HW 24 North to Devils Tower. Now back at Oshoto,WY you can keep going North, this will be the back side of Missouri Buttes and the Tower. Stay north to New Haven,WY. From there the road will swing to the East and bring you out at the pavement at Hulett,WY. From there you can go South 10 miles to the Tower, if you like. Now here is just some more dirt roads that you should know about. These roads will take you up into the N.F. of the Northern Black Hills. Just North from the Tower is road 847. Just South of Hulett,WY is 849. Now back at Hulett go east on HW 24. to you get to Alva,WY. One more road here is 859 South up in the Hills. Or keep East on HW 24 anothere 5 or 8 miles is road 838. Take 838 if you like all the way to Sundance,WY. Now if you don't take all the way South, take road 843 east that is up top still. Go 843 East down to HW 111. At 111 go South, tell you come out at I-90. There on the North side is a frontage road. Take the frontage road East. Now then between here an Beulah,WY is the Buffalo Jump PIT. Stop and take a look, your there anyway! Then on East to Beulah,WY. Here, also Exit 205 off of I-90 is a Blue ribbon trout stream. ( Red, still have your pole) Go South from here on road 863 it follows Sand Creek, that is a Spring Creek. Some good, but tough fishing is here in this spring creek! Now take 863 south to 141 to 875 into SD. Now in SD it is now called 175, stay on 175 witch passes over HW85. Stay on 175 onto you get to 231 south then to 117 south to 110. From here at 110 if you go East you will end up at Deerfield,SD. But you will go West back into Wyoming, tell you get to 810. 810 South is Bever Creek Road. Stay South 810 to you come out at HW 16. Go West to Newcastle,WY. Stop by the old Mill for some pie!:eat Now, after your full of pie. Go West HW 16 back to Moorcroft,WY. Yep then back West to Gillette.:laugh This is just one of lots, to see and do here in the Area! Richard

Some roads and things you should do on the way!

Let me add some roads that I think you may like. For some of you they may not be in your rout here because of your location to get here. If you can try theses. HW 28 over South Pass. HW 191 in and out of Utah. HW 130 over Medicine Bow Pass. Hw 34 from 30 over to I-25 North of Laramie,WY I like this little road. HW 487. HW 26 and see Fort Laramie. HW 85 from South to North. HW 116 all of it. You can make loops back to Gillette. HW 24. also HW112. HW 431 it's a nice short cut. Out from Powell HW 294 is all so a nice little short cut. HW 31 then South to Ten Sleep is a good Short cut around the back side of the Big Horn loop. First and most is have fun and Keep the good eye out for all the Wide life!!!!! The hole Area around here has very good ans scenic riding for All. There are many more roads to be had here. I do think that there are more MOA members that can put in many more places to see and do here. So add your rides here any time.:stick I'm sure that we all will enjoy them. Be Safe,:lurk Richard

Richard, thanks for the input, keep them coming.

I have never ridden out west, flown over on my way to Vegas a few times.

Gillette is going to be great, I have wanted to visit Devils Tower ever since I saw Richard Dreyfus make one out of mashed potatoes in Close Encounters of the Third Kind...

My riding buddies and I are excited about coming out (we need paved roads, strictly road bikes, no dual purpose..)

Dale Carter

Richard, thanks for the input, keep them coming.

I have never ridden out west, flown over on my way to Vegas a few times.

Gillette is going to be great, I have wanted to visit Devils Tower ever since I saw Richard Dreyfus make one out of mashed potatoes in Close Encounters of the Third Kind...

My riding buddies and I are excited about coming out (we need paved roads, strictly road bikes, no dual purpose..)

Dale Carter

If your coming from Ontario, you may want to include the North Dakota Badlands in your route. They are one of the Wests best kept secrets and regularly bypassed by travelers. After the tragic loose of his wife, Teddy Roosevelt moved west to the solitude of Medora, where he cattle ranched. From that experience, he went on to known as a conservation president (although he loved to kill the critters) designating large sections of the America West into national parks.

If you've read Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance (maybe you've heard of it) you can follow the route through North Dakota on Highway 11 slipping down through Mobridge following highway 12 west before dropping down to Gillette.

By the way, while in Jasper last summer, I parked next to a RED GS that looked like Neil Peart's bike (Drummer for Rush). As it turned out, it was purchased from Neil by a financial wizard named Peter from Toronto. Peters a colorful character. Maybe you know him? We went on to the Hyder seek afterwards and had a great time. We then parted way since I was heading north to Dawson and the Arctic Circle in Northern Yukon.

Badlands Have Been Moved???

If your coming from Ontario, you may want to include the North Dakota Badlands in your route. They are one of the Wests best kept secrets and regularly bypassed by travelers. After the tragic loose of his wife, Teddy Roosevelt moved west to the solitude of Medora, where he cattle ranched. From that experience, he went on to known as a conservation president (although he loved to kill the critters) designating large sections of the America West into national parks.

Kenk,
I've been to the Badlands a number of times. I agree with Kenk, it is a great sight to see. However, I thought the Badlands were in South Dakota; not North Dakota? When did President Bush move them via Executive Order?
Busting Chops,
Rich

Kenk,
I've been to the Badlands a number of times. I agree with Kenk, it is a great sight to see. However, I thought the Badlands were in South Dakota; not North Dakota? When did President Bush move them via Executive Order?
Busting Chops,
Rich

Funny guy. There's a South Dakota Badlands near Rapid City (best known) and a North Dakota Badlands just west of Dickinson. Although their official names are the Theodore Roosevelt National Park North and South Units, the locals still refer to them as the North Dakota Badlands. The names changed many years ago. I should have referred to them as the Theodore Roosevelt National Parks to avoid confusion for out of stater's -- another Dakota saying. When you get there, you will see they are very similar to the SD Badlands.

My favorite of all the Badlands is Theodore Roosevelt North Unit just south of Williston. I camped their several years ago and woke up with a heard of buffalo in my campsite. Deep gorges and beautiful landscape.

Hope to Get To the North Dakota Badlands Some Day

Funny guy. There's a South Dakota Badlands near Rapid City (best known) and a North Dakota Badlands just west of Dickinson. Although their official names are the Theodore Roosevelt National Park North and South Units, the locals still refer to them as the North Dakota Badlands. The names changed many years ago. I should have referred to them as the Theodore Roosevelt National Parks to avoid confusion for out of stater's -- another Dakota saying. When you get there, you will see they are very similar to the SD Badlands.

My favorite of all the Badlands is Theodore Roosevelt North Unit just south of Williston. I camped their several years ago and woke up with a heard of buffalo in my campsite. Deep gorges and beautiful landscape.

Kenk,
Thanks for the information about the North Dakota Badlands at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Based upon your information, perhaps I'll get there this upcoming summer either to/from Gillette WY. Even though I've complained about the Gillette site selection, I plan on attending the '08 nat'l rally. I hope I'm wrong about Gillette, as well as the North Dakota Badlands.
Rich

Now yer talkin'. I have done some of that, wondered about some more, and maybe even know a few roads you haven't mentioned. In fact, as you add routes, the prospects for this rally just get better and better.

RHarrod's first recommendation

Day Trip. Big Horn Loop from Gillette and back. This is a 400 mile loop. This includes two of the Wyoming's scenic byways - Bighorn Scenic Byway & Cloud Peak Skyway.

Attachments

• BigHornLoop.JPG
    BigHornLoop.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 236
Back