• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

08 Rally Roads!

R

Rharrod

I will add some Roads for the ones coming to the 08 Rally, that may interest some of you. As well as some things in the Area to maybe do or see. I will add to this thread as I can. I'm at work this weakend, So I will See what roads I get time for. This is a place that You can also post good roads to ride here in N.E. Wyoming Area and all the states around that may be fun to hit on the way in or out from the rally! So Add your Road. From Gillette, there are a lot of good Loops to take, for day trips or a nice afternoon ride from here. Here is just one to start with. Day Trip. Big Horn Loop, From Gillette take HW14/16 North to Spotted Horse, Clearmont, and Ucross. Then take HW 14 to Sheridan,WY. Take I-90 up to Ranchester. Take HW14 to Burgess Jct. then Down threw Shell Cannon, also stop at the rest area to see the water falls. Then on down to Greybull,WY. Take HW 20 to Manderson then take 31 over to Ten Sleep,WY. Take HW16 up the South side of the Big Horns up to Medowlark lake then on up to Powder River Pass. Then Down to Buffalo,WY. Then 68 miles of I-90 back to Gillette. So there is one trip. :wave Richard

Here's one more. Nice day trip over to Devils Tower. You can look at the map and see, there is like maybe five or six loops that you can do! All nice roads. Here is one short one. You can take I-90 East or HW14/16 East to Moorcroft,WY. Then take HW16 to Upton. From there take 116 up into Sundance,WY(yes, the Sundance kid) Now from here you can take HW14 west up to Devils Tower Junction. Nice Road with some outstanding shots of the Tower. Or you can go east from Sundance to Exit 199 HW 111 Aladdin,Wy turn off. SIDE TRIP East on the frontage road like four miles to the Buffalo Jump! This is a kill site that was used for many many year. The bottum of the pit is time line before white man cam to North America. OK, bake to the trip. Take HW111 to Aladdin. Then go West on HW 24 ( If you come in from S.D. you can take from Belle Fourche,S.D. West HW34 that is WY 24 in Wyoming) to the town of Hulet,Wy then onto Devils Tower Road and into the park. Then back out to HW 24 West to Tower Junction. Then West on HW 14 Back to Moorcroft,WY. Then back to the Rally. Add to the loop by going to Newcastle,WY the up HW 85 to Four Corners then 585 into Sundance! OR from Four Corners stay 85 to S.D.85 to 14ALT which is Spearfish Cannon road. Then Go Spearfish,S.D. up to Belle Fourche then West HW 34! So, be safe and go have some fun!!:D Richard

Thunder Basin Nat'l Grassland Loop

OK, last one from me today. Gillette take HW 59 South to Wright,WY then just South to HW 450 East. If you need to cut it short take 116 North to Upton. Or stay 450 all the way into Newcastle,WY. If you have time stop in at the Mill for some pie.:D From there go west HW 16 to Moorocroft,WY then yes, West to Gillette. Now from Newcastle you can see from a map, you can pick up more loops!:D Ride safe, Richard

This is about the most constructive, useful thing I've read yet about the rally in Gillette. Congrats for some great info and thank you! :clap :clap If you have mileages for any of these routes that would help. But even more important - how far do you have to go for some good fly fishing for trout? :D

This is about the most constructive, useful thing I've read yet about the rally in Gillette. Congrats for some great info and thank you! :clap :clap If you have mileages for any of these routes that would help. But even more important - how far do you have to go for some good fly fishing for trout? :D

I've fished Grey Reef and the Miracle Mile are which is near Casper about 2 hrs away from Gillette. Probably the most productive fishing trip I've ever taken.. Plenty of fish and all of them trophies. We didn't catch a fish under 18-20 inches.

Maybe someone will map these out in Google maps and post a link for us?

That would be fantastic!!!

Ok, I'm on my way out the door to go home. BUT here. If you just have to, here in Gillette is a fishing lake. All so down in Wright at the restarea. Here is one Blueribbon stream that is a small spring creek. It is in the Black Hill, at Beula,WY. That is East of Gillette all most at the state line and off of I-90. Go South at Exit 205. You will pass over the spring creek just before the exit. Yes, I said Blue ribbon. It is hard to fish as it is a spring creek. And 68 miles to the west is the Big Horn Mnts. Lakes and Small rivers/streams. and Yes, The rest of the state. Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!:buds Later Richard

Get wet here in Gillette!

Here in Gillette, we have two nice pools if you get to Hot. One is the out door City pool up on the hill, by a nice city park with lots trees. The pool is open to all and is free!!! It is more of what I would call a Kids pool, but with a diving board I do be leave, but you may like to look it over. The Big pool is at the Rec center. The recenter is a full rec center with all the stuff. Hand ball, weights, and indoor track. Its down town off of HY59. It has a Big indoor lap size pool all so with diving boards. On the out side is a Big water slide for all to enjoy. The weather has to be good and temps I think over 70 degrees for the slide. Don't laugh some Summer days some years don't get to 70. One year for the Nationals high school finals rodeo, It was a cold summer and the people from the south had to buy jackets for them and blankets for there horses. and there was Snow up on the Big Horns in July. So, It can Happen. Also Here in Gillette, we have two Golf courses and One indoor putt putt Golf with batten cages. There is a small museum called the Rock Pile Museum to go see. It has a little bit of history about the town. Some nice parks in town. You can get on I-90 and go out to your big lake east of Gillette,which is a State Park called Keyhole State Park. Go boating, fish, swimming and party. Yes they have overnight camping out there if you like. :) Richard

Woolly Mammoths

I have already said something about the Buffalo Jump between Sundance and Beulah,WY off of I-90. Here is a BIG indoor site. This Is a must see if you like this sort of thigh. It is in the Black Hills. Hot Springs, S.D. From Gillette go East to Newcastle then stay East on HW 16 into S.D. to Custer. Then go South HW 385 to Hot Springs. Then to the Woolly Mammoth site. http://www.mammothsite.com/default.htm You may also like to try the Evens Plunge indoor pool. http://www.evansplunge.com/ So Have fun!:brow Richard

I've fished Grey Reef and the Miracle Mile are which is near Casper about 2 hrs away from Gillette. Probably the most productive fishing trip I've ever taken.. Plenty of fish and all of them trophies. We didn't catch a fish under 18-20 inches.

Ditto on this one!

Most of these 18 inch + trout are brook trout! I've fished Miracle Mile a few times, and always left with my limit! ymmmmm 1

In a pan of fried onion in bacon grease cornmeal brook trout!

Battlefields Trails and a Loop!

Ok, there is a lot of History here in the Area. Cheyenne-Deadwood Stage, Oregon, and the Bozeman Trails are all here in this area. The Bozeman Trail came up just South West of Gillette, and crossed now what is HW 387. Up along the Big Horns and into Montana. There where a lot of Indian battles in this Area. From Gillette, Go west to Buffalo,WY. Or you can take HY 14/16 North out of Gillette and loop around to the base of the Big Horns. Over there try 194 to Story,WY. Here is Fort Phil Kearny, and also the Wagon Box fight of 1887. Do stop in at the Wagon Box INN for a nice meal. Look all around Buffalo and Sheridan Area it is rich with history. Ever here of the Johnson County War! Now for a big loop. Try HW14 North to Sheridan,WY then I-90 North into Montana. Tell you get to HW 212. This is at Custer's last stand the Little Big Horn Battlefield. After you see that take HW 212 East to Broadus,MT. Then South on HW 59 back into Gillette,Wy. Well thats one more thing to do and see.:D Richard

Ditto on this one!

Most of these 18 inch + trout are brook trout! I've fished Miracle Mile a few times, and always left with my limit! ymmmmm 1

In a pan of fried onion in bacon grease cornmeal brook trout!
:thumb

South West Loop!

I need to go to bed, But just one more. Small Loop. Go west to Buffalo,WY then South take 196 South to Kaycee,WY. Then East on 192 past Linch to HW 387 East to HW 50. Then North by the Pumpkin Buttes and into Gillette. Nice little ride. :bikes Richard

b

Guess that GS road?

Rharrod,

This summer I took the first exit I came to heading west from the camplex on 90. I took a dirt road EXACTLY 25 miles west on I-90 off an exit, then led a hundred yards or so to a dirt road that meandered east up and over some substantial hills. It was not marked private, but didn't exactly say "come in" but I assume in western egress tort law this means it's ok to ride! Wide and rolling, no houses steep in spots but had a view to die for of the beautiful high prairie surrounding Gillette and looking west towads the Bighorns.

I rode it about 8 miles, then turned back, but would love to add this one to your list IF it's a legit road that won't get a bunch of Beemers in trouble if we were to ride it in mass!

Do you know where the heck I was? What’s your thoughts?Where does it go?

Last edited:
Rharrod,

This summer I took the first exit I came to heading west from the camplex on 90. I took a dirt road EXACTLY 25 miles west on I-90 off an exit, then led a hundred yards or so to a dirt road that meandered east up and over some substantial hills. It was not marked private, but didn't exactly say "come in" but I assume in western egress tort law this means it's ok to ride! Wide and rolling, no houses steep in spots but had a view to die for of the beautiful high prairie surrounding Gillette and looking west towads the Bighorns.

I rode it about 8 miles, then turned back, but would love to add this one to your list IF it's a legit road that won't get a bunch of Beemers in trouble if we were to ride it in mass!

Do you know where the heck I was? WhatÔÇÖs your thoughts?Where does it go?
Hi Red, mmmm, I will have to take a look at maybe a County map. There are some dirt County Roads open. County Roads will be ok. There is one from Gillette North West up to Arvada a long side the Railroad tracks. It maybe somedays before I can take a look, Im working four 14 hour days into three 12 hour night shifts. Maybe someone will jump in and help! Maybe someone will find it on the internet. Yes, there should be some Dirt/paved Loops as well. Here is one. I-90 west to the Powder River rest area. Then go North to Arvada. :wave Richard ------------) (NOTE. The road from Gillette, along the tracks. I have found out that the public access has been taken away, by one of the ranchers up by Arvada. SORRY)

Last edited:
Roads to Ride & Sites to See Around Gillette WY

I will add some Roads for the ones coming to the 08 Rally, that may interest some of you. As well as some things in the Area to maybe do or see. I will add to this thread as I can. I'm at work this weakend, So I will See what roads I get time for. This is a place that You can also post good roads to ride here in N.E. Wyoming Area and all the states around that may be fun to hit on the way in or out from the rally! So Add your Road. From Gillette, there are a lot of good Loops to take, for day trips or a nice afternoon ride from here. Here is just one to start with. Day Trip. Big Horn Loop, From Gillette take HW14/16 North to Spotted Horse, Clearmont, and Ucross. Then take HW 14 to Sheridan,WY. Take I-90 up to Ranchester. Take HW14 to Burgess Jct. then Down threw Shell Cannon, also stop at the rest area to see the water falls. Then on down to Greybull,WY. Take HW 20 to Manderson then take 31 over to Ten Sleep,WY. Take HW16 up the South side of the Big Horns up to Medowlark lake then on up to Powder River Pass. Then Down to Buffalo,WY. Then 68 miles of I-90 back to Gillette. So there is one trip. :wave Richard

Richard,
Thank you very much for all your postings on sites to see and roads to ride in the Gillette Wyoming vicinity/area for the BMWMOA National Rally. I will check them out during my travels in July '08. Your positive posting to "Why Gillette?" is refreshing.
Richard

Nice Little Loop.

From Cam-Plex go East on HW 14/16 to Rozet. Just East from there is a paved road South called Bishup Road. Take it South. It loops around back to the west and comes out South of Gillette at HW 59. Then North back into Gillette.:) Richard

Lots of things to See!

There are lots of things to do and see in the Black Hills! You know about Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. You know of all the cool roads in Custer State Park. :thumb Now did you know about all the Caves? If not and its hot out side and your in good shape, your in for a treat!!! Try Jewel Cave Nat'l Park. From Gillette, Go to Moorcroft,WY then take HW 16 past Newcastle into South Dakota. I'm thinking its only 18 miles in side S.D. to the cave is all. Yes on HW 16 all the way. If you don't like that one. You can go South from Custer,SD on HW 385 to Wind Cave, if you like! As you see with all the loops and stuff to see, one can do alot all in the same day and return back to Cam-Plex in a day!!!!:nyah Richard

A Must see and do trip!

If you make the trip out here. If you do nothing eles, you have to do Beartooth and Chief Joseph scenic highways!!!! Let me say it one more time. You need to make this a part of your trip! From here in Gillette, you can make it a day trip. :D Most of you will need maybe two.:nyah From Gillette, I make this trip 13 hours with lot of stops and over a hour at Red Lodge,MT for lunch. If this is your first trip, take it slow to soak it all in.:thumb I Do this trip, in combo with the Big Horn Loop. So this is what I do. Take HW 14/16 North out of Gillette. Then at Ucross take HW 14 into Sheridan. Then I-90 up to Ranchester. Take HW 14 up top of Big Horn Mtns, to Burgess Jct. Now from here take 14ALT down into Lovell,WY. From here you need to stay on 14 for like three miles west tell you get to 114 north for ten miles. Then go North into MT on HW 310 for 25 miles, tell HW 72 South, pay attion it comes up fast! Stay 72 11 miles to Belfry,MT. Now take 308 West into Red Lodge,MT. Now, take lunch! Down town is Red Lodge pizza.:eat Then after looking at all the shops and stuff. Time to get back to it! Take 212 up the Beartooth Pass. :usa This will put you back into Wyoming. Down 212 to HW 296 and take this South, this is Chief Joseph HW 46 miles of nice!:thumb You will come out at HW 120, go South like 20 miles to Cody,WY. This maybe a good place to stay the night and take in all the Buffalo Bill stuff. Now if you need to stay at it, and run for Gillette. Go East on 14/16 across the high desert to Greybull. Then South on 789 to Basin and on to Manderson. Here you need to take 31 towards Hyattville. At 15 miles is the turn off to go to Ten Sleep,WY 20 miles. Now you come out here at HW 16 just west of Ten Sleep. OK For the ones that took in Cody here you go!!!!! For you, you need to go south from Cody. Take 120 south through Meeteetse,WY, at about 20 miles out from there you will see 431. Take it,yes take 431 East. It will come out at 789. From there go North into Worland,WY. Unless you would like to go see the HOT SPRING STATE PARK at Thermopolis,WY that is. It will come out at 789. From there go North into Worland,WY. After you get to Worland take HW 16 to Ten Sleep,WY. OK Now you should be all back with me! At Ten Sleep stop for a drink,:buds now then back to it and up Ten Sleep Canyon. Up all most to the top is Meadowlark lake. On the east side is a nice paved parking spot. Get back on bike and make it up to Powder River Pass, then on down to the town of Buffalo,WY. Now, after all this. You get to get on I-90 expressway to Gillette. I hope you liked this one. Yep this sucks.:nyah Richard

Back