• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Photo Assignment: Weekend 10/27/07

Sue

Friend of the Marque
I hope to have time to work on this concept this weekend! Thanks for the fun idea......

I may take a picture of my wallet, as viewed by the IRS!
Wide open. Hah!
Just kidding. I snapped 60 or 70 at my brothers last night, I just have to go through them.
Edit: I did,here it is:
PA260034.jpg

Last edited:
I may take a picture of my wallet, as viewed by the IRS!
Wide open. Hah!
Just kidding. I snapped 60 or 70 at my brothers last night, I just have to go through them.
Edit: I did,here it is:
PA260034.jpg

This is a great shot!

Wow - great images already and the weekend isn't even half over!

Yes, it's still daylily season here. I shot this at about noon time, with what is rapidly becoming a winter sun. The exposure is a bit too much, I think, though if it went lower, the image would probably be too dark.

213582507-XL.jpg

This one feels kind of underexposed and I'm not too psyched about the background. It did get the depth of field pretty well, though.

Tom, thanks for encouraging work with DoF. It made me finally get out the manual for my camera and start playing with the A program. :ha

213581057-XL.jpg

I was just gonna say that!

Remember when seats were open, wide, and you rode them wide open?

PA260055.jpg

I am not happy with the background, I couldn't get it blurry dangit!

Wow! Statdawg your first shot is awesome. I'm not certain I'm gonna post this week, but dang you set the bar high! :clap

Very nice use of an inventive technique with excellent composition and subject. :bow Your second post is :thumb too, but I would have quit with the first one. :wave

Our door was Open Wide for an Open House today.

Voni
sMiling

Attachments

• DSCF3974.JPG
    DSCF3974.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 204
The focusing is a challenge do you go far, close, very unique application ?

I think you focus on the exact item you want to show most clearly. I think of the shot as a series of stacked planes, one of which I can choose to be in focus.

You can expand or contract the thickness of the plane that's in focus by altering the aperture.

Another great shot Voni! I really liked your post last week, too (very creative and meaningful--with gorgeous lighting). I don't want to steal Tom's thunder, but this week's effort had potential for some technical difficulties, but you avoided them nicely. What a great captured moment. :thumb

This one feels kind of underexposed and I'm not too psyched about the background. It did get the depth of field pretty well, though.

Tom, thanks for encouraging work with DoF. It made me finally get out the manual for my camera and start playing with the A program. :ha

I think your exposure is very close to being "right" (only a fraction of a stop under exposed). Years ago I took garden photography courses at a major horticultural facility (Longwood Gardens) and one of the things they stressed in composition is the flower (or other horticultural subject) is clearly the focal point of the frame, but back- and foregrounds* have diminished many otherwise great garden shots. Unless you intended it to be there, I wouldn't worry about it. Also every camera composed shot deserves a good cropping, and your's would take on a whole new look with a little perimeter clipping. :wave

*Which is true of most compositions. There's an old adage "Check your corners," that means before you press the shutter look in the upper righthand corner, lower righthand corner, upper lefthand corner, lower lefthand corner of the frame. If you see something you don't want in a print, move your shooting position or zoom in.

Should I be posting mine in the thread about nothing? :laugh

Kbasa, excellent description, that helped me a lot.

Last edited:
View of The Warwick Valley from the Top of Mt. Peter

Sunday cool fall Morning

Attachments

• IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 164
View of The Warwick Valley from the Top of Mt. Peter 2

wider angle

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg