• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Route 66

reimerdavid

Okay I have been looking but have not found a thread for route 66 so I am starting one. Next year I hope to take the historic trip down route 66. I just am woundering what do I need to prepare for? Also what do I need to take. Thank You much David son Matt

the whole route?

Are you planning to ride all, or parts of the route? If part, which part?

I lve and work in Joplin,MO on Route 66. In fact my desk at work is only a few feet from Route 66 in downtown Joplin. I have ridden much of the route from Oklahoma City to central Illinois, and traced out some of the different alignments that have been used over the years.

Try Google, as there are many websites and clubs dedicated to all or certain states along the route. This one is particularly good IMO: (see the Turn by Turn maps)

http://www.historic66.com/

There are many good guidebooks and maps available.
I like to get old gas station maps on eBay and compare them to modern maps to see if I can figure out which old strips of concrete roads you come across were originally part of the highway.

It can be a fun and relaxing way to travel if you like to "smell the roses" while touring.

The Historic Route 66 website has tons of great info. The turn by turn map is a must...Don't ask how I know. I did the entire route, Chicago to LA in Sept 04' on a Suzuki SV 650 along with 4 others on HD's. Be smart about packing. Every thing for weather extremes 24 to 103 degrees (not in the same day, but 2 days apart) is needed. Take your time and enjoy. The people are amazing! Stop in Eric OK. The curiousity shop is a hoot...be sure to spend some time there. Harley and Annabelle will most certainly entertain. I am doing it again in 09'...can't wait! :clap

All I've done so far is various parts of Rte 66 through New Mexico and Arizona. Since the last trip, I've started stocking up on books and maps, but have not had a chance to get back out on the road. Looks like I should have some time to hit the Amarillo to LA stretch again next month, when I head to CA for a ride-in appointment with Russell.

The question really comes down to what do you want to see. A good bit of the old stretch of alignment from Tucumcari to the New Mexico/Texas border has been dug up and turned to gravel. Still not a bad stretch of road, but I hear it can get nasty in bad weather. There's not much in the way of relics to see along that stretch ... so it just depends on how historic you want to get with the route.

My driveway comes out on a portion of Rt 66 between Rolla and Doolittle in MO. Check the aforementioned websites and you'll find a good deal of 66 still in use as an outer road in Missouri. Pavement condition can be a bit of an issue so slow down and enjoy the scenery. If you'd like some decent BBQ while you are going through MO, I'd be happy to show you the former Munger Moss Sanwich shop along one of the original sections of 66. It's the original alignement, bypassed by the new one, and finally by I-44.

Back