• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

HELP!-Replacing Lock Assembly on Side Case

tkbaker4

Love this RT!
Bought a replacement Lock Ass'y for my side case because the red tab was broken.
1st thing that has to happen is remove the Lock Barrel by using the wire (not supplied) to press in the retaining tab.
I can't locate the retaining tab with a coat hanger (my wire of choice.)
Any ideas on where I ned to apply pressure? I've tried several places thru the long slot where the instructions show to insert it and also thru the small hole below. No luck.
Never having seen the barrel outside the case I am at a loss on where to push and with what.
Any of you have any experience with changing out a lock barrel?

Turn the cylinder with the key and line up the key front to rear with the small hole and use a paper clip.

Thank You!

:clap
Thanks, Jack.
Coat hanger must have been to big?
I wasn't sure what I was poking for but it just slipped out after beginning to poke around with the paperclip.
Now onto the English instructions and pictorial in German.
Don't you love these bikes!

PS. the instructions refer to using the "superfast adhesive" for re-attaching the trim.
It also is not supplied. Is it a superglue or silicon?
Thanx again for your help!

:clap
Thanks, Jack.
Coat hanger must have been to big?
I wasn't sure what I was poking for but it just slipped out after beginning to poke around with the paperclip.
Now onto the English instructions and pictorial in German.
Don't you love these bikes!

PS. the instructions refer to using the "superfast adhesive" for re-attaching the trim.
It also is not supplied. Is it a superglue or silicon?
Thanx again for your help!

They never supply adhesives because they have solvents. Which trim? I would guess it is superglue.

I'm working thru it, any indicators in the drawings are in german.
Got it apart, going down for assembly now.
My guess is "superfast adhesive" is the translation for SuperGlue!

Successful!

Thanks again for your help, Jack!:clap
In the kit, there are NO SPARES!
Missed one rivet, the borg 1/8" rivets are too small.
Other than that, it all works.

Thanks again for your help, Jack!:clap
In the kit, there are NO SPARES!
Missed one rivet, the borg 1/8" rivets are too small.
Other than that, it all works.

Good deal.
Those rivets are probably available from BMW parts.

Back