Thread: electrical gremlins

ISAACS

electrical gremlins

My bike has 40,000 miles and for the longest time it has been running perfect. The use of past tense is the reason for the letter.
    today while running along about 80 mph the bike just shut down and just as quickly it started running again. This happened two more times be fore getting home, about 10 miles at speeds between 30 and 50 mph.
    The question I have is this should I start be checking the the kill switch, key switch or?

One more thing my bike does not like to idle smoothly, I do not weather it could be the idle speed motor,(if it has one) or the throttle postion switch?

Sorry, The bike is a 2002 k1200lt
    Last edited by Isaacs; 10-22-2007 at 03:19 AM. Reason: clarification

Blocking the slow lane
    I have the same problem with my K75. Goes dead at speed, and will start right up again off the starter button even before coasting to a stop. Outside temperature doesn't seem to matter.

Repair suggestions so far:

$ - a failure in the fuel-level sender wiring where it passes thru the bottom of the gas tank (I wiggled those wires in my driveway for a hour last weekend while the bike idled, and it never hiccuped). I will probably spend the $85 to rule this one out since that wiring is almost 20 years old.

$ - ignition key or kill switch problem (I've mostly ruled the kill switch out, since its only two years old. Wiggling the ignition key doesn't produce anything either.)

$$ - Hall-effect sending unit issue (I thought the failure was more temp dependent when this happens, and wouldn't expect the bike to re-start right away).

$$$$$$ - Igniter box. Breyfogle had this problem....I need to re-read his thread.

I had a great summer with this bike (actually, 18 great years). This is the first time its ever really left me scratching my head.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Shutting down, mine turned out to be the Hall sensor

This sounds very similar to what happened to my K75 . Riding along at highway speeds , the bike would just shut down, tach going to zero even as I coasted to stop in gear. Bike restarted immediately . This happened probably 10 times in 100 mi ride . Failure got progressively closer together as the day wore on . My diagnostic was to remove the T shaped hall sensor cover and ride it with the cover off . Only failed once in the last 50 miles as apposed to 9 times in the first 50 , which lead me to suspect the hall sensor . I installed a used Hall sensor , aliging it exactly same position as the old one that I removed . Bike fired right up and has run fine ever since (10k miles ). That was the problem . YMMV

Todd

Blocking the slow lane
    Cool, thanks Todd!
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
    My bike has 40,000 miles and for the longest time it has been running perfect. The use of past tense is the reason for the letter.
    today while running along about 80 mph the bike just shut down and just as quickly it started running again. This happened two more times be fore getting home, about 10 miles at speeds between 30 and 50 mph.
    The question I have is this should I start be checking the the kill switch, key switch or?

One more thing my bike does not like to idle smoothly, I do not weather it could be the idle speed motor,(if it has one) or the throttle postion switch?
    One suggestion - what year/model K bike do you have? I seem to have missed it somehow and it can change what the answer to your question might be..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!