• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How I spent the last good riding weekend of October....

kreinke

I ,and a very loyal, gracious and knowledgeable friend with air staplers, did 900 Sq feet of stripping old shingles and off and installing new vents, tar paper, a new skylight, etc.

I am moving really slow tonight. I have 200 more to do on a gable tomorrow (no vents...should go fast) then I should be good to go for 30 years....

It's been a real learning experience. The sum total of my roofing knowledge before I started was "Good Morning Chip". Now I am in the minor leagues I guess.

I have gained much respect from this experience for the relatively low paid (many times cash only with no health insurance) workers who do this for a living every day.

I have always marveled at a good roofing team when they get in a rhythm and go. Amazing how fast they can work.

All you hear is the thwap thwap thwap of the nail gun.

No wasted movements.

Brian

Ahhh roofing. When I was a wee lad between the ages of 18-22 I used to have my own business - AAFAB - and I did a lot of re-roofing. After my second close call from a couple stories up, I thought to myself, "There has got to be a safer way to make a living."
There is a lot of satisfaction gained from putting on a roof yourself. Bravo!

That's quite impressive, Krienke. My wife and I need a new roof on our weekend/country house and have gotten some estimates from local reputable contractors. The major factor to a slight-case-of one-sided-leaking was a faulty chimney crown, which was identified at purchase and repaired, which in turn has kept the water away. However the roof is on it's last year and will be replaced come Spring. I'm certain, I won't/can't do the work myself as it's not our full-time residence and is quite a distance away, but I'm always interested in capital improvement projects others are engaging in.

If possible could you post some pictures of your progress or the finished work?

How I spent the last good riding weekend of October....

..............riding of course!:brow

Saturday visited Twin Cities BMW for their open house then...on Sunday did the county H,Z and ZZ roads in the kettle Moraine Area...visited Spokes off of 20 or was it 50 over there in Racine,finished up with a "cut thru" the Lk Geneva area...
all in all a fantiastic day on fantastic roads.

I had my roof done in early summer so I could play.....done by some professional so if it leaks during the Super Bowl,
I'll just call 'em up and say hey "Fix MY ROOF!":nyah

Back