• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping at Gillette

czechmate

Let's stop all the whining about motel rates and try camping for a change. The rates are cheap and the camaraderie is worth a lot more. Most of my travels during the year I stay in motels but I make a few exceptions of which the international rally is one. Where else can you meet people from all over the world, have a couple of beers and even smoke a stoggie under the stars. Besides, if you over indulge, you don't have that long ride back to the motel.

It is because a guy that is from that area says it's really hot in summer and they have giant rainstorms every night. Funny, if you had asked me about Wisconsin in July before West Bend, I would have said almost the exact same thing. It's too hot and there are too many mosquitos! Oddly enough, it was very cool and there were no mosquitos. I'll take my chances in Gillette, we'll be in the Loud section. :thumb

Last edited:
I think the rally is in July. It was hot in Spokane, Ohio, Vermont. That is why it is summer. Get a fan from coleman.

At the last BOD meeting one of the local people that live in Gillette, stated that if you advertise in the local newspaper your name and phone number and that you would like to rent a trailer or RV. The people that live in Gillette will rent their RV or Trailer out for this event and set up the RV or Trailer on rally grounds. This does require some negotiation between you and that individual

this may help!

This is from another post that I put up, but may help some of you looking here! Good Luck:wave ------------------------------- Why don't you just try the locals! It's been don before. If the nationals High school rodeo Kids can, can't YOU? Out at Cam-Plex they have lots of spot for all these trailers and campers and motor homes that are parked all year. Except for hunting! What the rodeo kids do, (from all over the nation) is put in ads in the local newspaper and ask to rent a camper for that week that they are here. The locals take the campers out to Cam-Plex and set them up with/for you to rent. You just need to get with Cam-Plex and the local and just DO IT!!!!!!!! The local paper is the Gillette News-Record (307) 682-9306 web page www.gillettenewsrecord.com . With the BOOM that Gillette has wright now, all the workers have most all the room that they are living in. So YES price is up. No one on this MOA boad saw this coming.. So, If you need to stay somewhere els. Take a look at a map! Look at Moorcroft,WY only 30 miles to the East. Also look at Wright, WY 37 miles South has one motel. Look West 68 miles is Buffalo,WY at the base of the Big Horn Mt's. Lot of nice places s to stay! Just North of there is Story,WY. Also try Upton,Devils Tower,Sundance, and Newcastle,WY. I hope this helps!

More camping!

There are two local campgrounds in Gillette. 1 High Plains Camground just across from Cam-Plex (307) 687-7339. 2. Green tree's Grazy Woman Camp Ground in downtown Gillette (307) 683-3665. I think there is some camping down at Wrght,WY 37 miles just South of town on HW 59. There are two KOA's in the Area. 1. 68 miles to the West at Buffalo,WY. 2. At Devils Tower (307) 467-5395 ONLY 58 miles. Also more camping at Devils Tower Fort (307) 5655 Still 58 Miles. You can also camp at Sundance,WY at Mountain View Campground (307) 283-2270 at 61 miles. More camping at Keyhole State Park only 40 miles :bliss Richard

Last edited:
There are two local campgrounds in Gillette. 1 High Plains Camground just across from Cam-Plex (307) 687-7339. 2. Green tree's Grazy Woman Camp Ground in downtown Gillette (307) 683-3665. I think there is some camping down at Wrght,WY 37 miles just South of town on HW 59. There are two KOA's in the Area. 1. 68 miles to the West at Buffalo,WY. 2. At Devils Tower (307) 467-5395 ONLY 58 miles. Also more camping at Devils Tower Fort (307) 5655 Still 58 Miles. You can also camp at Sundance,WY at Mountain View Campground (307) 283-2270 at 61 miles. More camping at Keyhole State Park only 40 miles :bliss Richard

From Rally Co-Chairs post in another thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't recommend using the local campgrounds. There's really only one that allows tents, Crazy Woman CG (no......not Deb and I). I read the reviews when I went there in July, and ended up staying in the Sturgis area.
FYI - What they meant by "workers" was the contractors that are building the power plants in the area.
FWIW-we had signed the contract long before we heard about the 2 power plants that would be constructed in the area.
We do, however, have PLENTY of camping space, and we DEFINITELY will define an area for quiet camping. I think the party folks will decide to camp closer to the "action". Even if they choose to utilize the more "remote" area (only defined as "remote", because it's a longer walk, but definitely "walkable") it's large enough to clearly define a quiet area.

Our editorial staff has already planned the article schedule for the rally, and we'll have plenty of coverage regarding riding to and from the rally, during the rally, things to see, and a lot of info about the Cam-Plex facilities and where to camp!

Karol Patzer
2008 Rally Co-Chair
Last edited by k75karol : 10-08-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: No longer in Gillette :^)
Report Post Reply With Quote

Back