• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wyoming yes, but Gillette???

I still think we should consider Canada for maybe 2010. Wouldn't it be fun, not to mention cooler, to hook up with the Canadian BMW club? Don't want to divert from the current discussion but just but a bug in your heads for the future.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

sure, we could go BACK there. (Trenton Ontario, 2002). It was a fabulous site- posssibly the best camping location we've had in last 10 years. However, the vendor participation was VERY weak, due to border issues. Many of those that did get through the border would not return (or so they told me). [sorry for the repetitive nature of this post- you other folks are faster than me].

There is some benefit to anything that generates discussion, (although even with this "hot" topic only a very small % of members are involved). Through the rhetoric and blustering the overall impression I get is that our rallies have been by and large a great success. There doesn't seem to be something that requires a massive fix because it isn't broken, but could probably stand a bit of "tweaking". I like the idea of using particularly successful venues on a rotating basis (and would be very happy at returning to Essex Junction). I do not believe that our elected representatives have done anything but been open about the process when questions have been asked, encouraged ideas, and they have not presented their views in a way that makes me fell they are not open to new ideas. Perhaps a vote tied in with elections about choosing the repeating venues. A committee could be formed to pick a few choices from each region that we could vote on (assuming that is the way we go). As for the regions that were mentioned that we are still looking for places we can see how a rally goes in that area and then decide if it is a place that we want to rotate to. Even with a rotation system I think it would be possible to explore a new venue on occasion. My bottom line our rallies seem to be working well, can you get a rally that doesn't appeal to you, absolutely, but that doesn't mean a major fix is needed. More likely it is the odds catching up with you that this one isn't your cup of tea. No biggy, next year will offer something different.

The voice of reason.

bikerfish1100

The Larimer County fairgrounds is indeed an excellent suggestion. All kinds of mountain rides close at hand. BMW of Ft. Collins is almost within bike pushing distance. Central to both Denver and the entire Front Range. Easy access from I70, I 80, and right on I 25. Lots to see and do in Ft. Collins, Loveland, and just up the hill to Rocky Mountain Nat. Park and lots of other stuff. I don't kow if it would be a fit for the MOA or not, but at first blush, an excellent venue to be explored. :thumb

So, I went to the Larimer County Fairgrounds/The Ranch web site (http://www.co.larimer.co.us/theranch/) -- something that a lot of people here seem to have a hard time doing.

The Ranch has a ton of indoor space. No problems there!

There didn't seem to be any specifics about camping other that it says "limited RV hookups" and "ample dry camping", whatever that means. The site plan does show some RV space. But it was hard to tell how much camping space was available.

So, I went to Google maps... and using a ruler against my screen, estimated that the entire area is about 130 acres, which should be quite sufficient, if we can camp there.

But then, there was the first hitch. I switched to the "hybrid" mode, and this is what The Ranch looks like: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.444661,-104.987025&spn=0.01277,0.014334&t=h&z=16&om=1

Maybe they've done some landscaping, but the entire grounds appear to be dirt.

Then, I found this under the FAQs listing:

What type of catering is available?

All catering and concessions is done in-house through Ovations. No outside food vendors, beverage vendors, concessions or caterers allowed. For more information and details, call Ovations at 970-619-4055.

Do you allow alcohol?

In accordance with the rules and regulations of the State of Colorado, it is against the law for a tenant, exhibitor or patron to bring alcoholic beverages into the building for any purpose. All arrangements for alcoholic beverages must be made through The Ranch and Ovations.

This is a little iffy, they're talking about the various exhibition buildings here. Will it be possible for individuals to BYOB into the camping areas? I can't tell from the web site.

I certainly agree that having a rally on CO's front range would be really excellent, and I personally wouldn't care if I had to pay $8 more for the rally and $5 for Bud (which I wouldn't buy). If I wasn't allowed to BMOB onto the fairgrounds, I might be somewhat disgruntled, but it wouldn't keep me away. (Surely they'll never find that flask of Maker's in my gear pack! ;)) But I'm not ready to camp in the dirt....

Hi Randy

We went to Trenton, Ontario in 2002. Those of us who went had a perfectly MARVELOUS time. Spending time with those Scots in the Beer Garden after they did a rousing Bag Pipe performance was without any doubt one of my all-time favorite rally memories.

But the issues with crossing the border and the hassles for our regular vendors was a problem. Despite the wonderful rally and beautiful location, we had a fairly small member turnout. There were a number of behind-the-scenes issues that made planning that Rally a true challenge. :banghead

Hats off to Don Faichney (the Kiltmeister) and the BMW MOA staff work jumping through all of those hoops to make it the great party that it was!

On the other hand, I am not sure that the BMW MOA would try it again.

So Mexico would be out of the question? :)

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Rally Manpower

I know there are not paid positions...we rely on volunteers to support the rally functions. However, I thought a local BMW club provided a portion of the "labor"and is a prerequisite to choosing a site? I don't think there is a BMW club in WY?? I think the nearest one is Sturgis?

How does this work? I've only been a member a bit over 3yrs.

I am going to repeat something I posted earlier on one of these threads and be just a bit more pointed. Fairgrounds sometimes are great facilities. And some fairgrounds are not. I have presented from 3 to 6 seminars at every rally for the past 10 or 11 years or so.

My days spent trying to present seminars in dusty cattle or sheep sheds, in 95 or 100 degree heat, trying to talk over the din of roaring livestock cooling fans - or trying to talk in competition with the adjacent oom pah pah band or other entertainment - are numbered, and the number is getting pretty small.

Whether seminars are important to you or not, I get the impression that they are important to a lot of rally goers. Otherwise I wouldn't spend anywhere from 5 to 10 hours of my time doing them. And neither would a whole lot of other volunteer presenters.

Site suggesters, site selection folks, and rally planners need to pay a lot of attention to seminar spaces - adequate size, suitable temperature, reasonably quiet, and neither dusty nor muddy.

Only one of lots of considerations, but just because a fairgrounds is enough acres and enough roof doesn't make it a good site from a seminars perspective.

Last edited:
I still think we should consider Canada for maybe 2010. Wouldn't it be fun, not to mention cooler, to hook up with the Canadian BMW club? Don't want to divert from the current discussion but just but a bug in your heads for the future.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

With all the problems with border crossings in 2002, the new passport requirements and homeland security precautions would make it much harder in the future. Many of us don't need a passport and this requirement would add $100 (or whatever) to our expenses and be an aggravation. The passport requiement would also diminish attendance of spur of the moment members and us procrastinators.

re: Trenton 2002. I absolutely loved the place. However, with all the noise I'm hearing about Gillette, does anybody care to remember all the complaints about going across the border, and what can I take, and what about my rights, etc. I go to the National to go to someplace I probably haven't been before. It's not all about the site, but the trip there and back, and the people at the rally and along the way. If you don't or won't or are planning on not liking the place without ever having been there, fine. Don't go. But I plan on being there, serving beer as usual, and doing whatever else comes to mind at the time. I plan on enjoying not only the rally, but the trip. For those who are planning on being there, I look forward to seeing you there. For those who want to be there but can't, we'll miss you and have a cold one in your honor. For the whiners, it'll be your loss.

This summer my wife and I visited a friend about 30 miles from where 81 goes into Canada and when we were going back into NY we were on line so long that I had to shut down by RT and crab walk it to the passport officer to prevent it from overheating.

Hola Amigos: I'm with Randy Kasal, let's plan a BMWMOA Rally for Nor. Mexico in 2010!

Saludos y Buenos Dias,

I like what rkasal said, let's start planning a BMWMOA Rally for Northern Mexico in 2010. Many MOA members and participants on this Forum have attended the Mexico BMW National Rally and the Mexican BMW riders have always shown us a great party; it think it's time we reciprocated. BMW Motorcycle Owners of America.

A perfect location, if we can agree to allow the Rally to be in the summer fringe months of May or September, would be Ciudad Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico.

We Zonies and Calis refer to this beautiful Sea of Cortez fishing village as Rocky Point. It is 250 miles south of Phoenix and 200 miles southwest of Tucson.

Rocky Point is just 60 miles south of the International Border Crossing which is inside of Organ Pipe Cactus Park. Puerto Penasco certainly has everything that we need, as once again Harley Owners Group has used this town for their HOG Rallies and they bring 15,000 people to these events. I can guarantee that a beer tent would no problemo! We would enjoy camping and fishing on a beach.

The advantage to Puerto Penasco is it's in a Mexican "free zone"; which means no Vehicle Import Permit and No Tourist Permit required for less than 7 days duration.

The border crossing is quick and easy! You'll need Mexican insurance for the bike; we in AZ Beemers usually use www.mexpro.com in Flagstaff for our bike insurance.

Go to www.puerto-penasco.com and www.penasco.com and look at Rocky Point.

If the Rally Selection Committee wants to pursue an International Rally in Northern Mexico further, we in AZ Beemers, MOA Club #89 would be glad to do legwork and research; and I am sure that Deryle and Wanda Mehrten over at South East Arizona Touring Riders #213 would also would be willing to lend a hand.

My Spanish is good, I'll contact BMW MOA Ambassador Ruben Tenorio in Xochimilco, Oaxaca and ask for his thoughts on having a International Rally in Rocky Point.

Recuerdos,

Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"

aka Don Stanley MOA #24810
beemerdons@aol.com www.azbeemers.org

Saludos y Buenos Dias,

I like what rkasal said, let's start planning a BMWMOA Rally for Northern Mexico in 2010. Many MOA members and participants on this Forum have attended the Mexico BMW National Rally and the Mexican BMW riders have always shown us a great party; it think it's time we reciprocated. BMW Motorcycle Owners of America.

A perfect location, if we can agree to allow the Rally to be in the summer fringe months of May or September, would be Ciudad Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico.

We Zonies and Calis refer to this beautiful Sea of Cortez fishing village as Rocky Point. It is 250 miles south of Phoenix and 200 miles southwest of Tucson.

Rocky Point is just 60 miles south of the International Border Crossing which is inside of Organ Pipe Cactus Park. Puerto Penasco certainly has everything that we need, as once again Harley Owners Group has used this town for their HOG Rallies and they bring 15,000 people to these events. I can guarantee that a beer tent would no problemo! We would enjoy camping and fishing on a beach.

The advantage to Puerto Penasco is it's in a Mexican "free zone"; which means no Vehicle Import Permit and No Tourist Permit required for less than 7 days duration.

The border crossing is quick and easy! You'll need Mexican insurance for the bike; we in AZ Beemers usually use www.mexpro.com in Flagstaff for our bike insurance.

If the Rally Selection Committee wants to pursue an International Rally in Northern Mexico further, we in AZ Beemers, MOA Club #89 would be glad to do legwork and research; and I am sure that Deryle and Wanda Mehrten over at South East Arizona Touring Riders #213 would also would be willing to lend a hand.

My Spanish is good, I'll contact BMW MOA Ambassador Ruben Tenorio in Xochimilco, Oaxaca and ask for his thoughts on having a International Rally in Rocky Point.

Recuerdos,

Why not host a local rally first, so member can attend your rally, gain your enthusiasm, and help you sell it in the future. If nothing else, your helping the club be more of an international organization.

Larimer County Fairgrounds near Loveland, Colorado

How about the Larimer County Fairgrounds near Loveland, Colorado. This place looks great.

http://www.larimer.org/theranch/about.cfm

Check out the photos. Plenty of grass and very close to a great BMW dealer. This looks almost too good to be true.

Thoughts.

How about the Larimer County Fairgrounds near Loveland, Colorado. This place looks great.

http://www.larimer.org/theranch/about.cfm

Check out the photos. Plenty of grass and very close to a great BMW dealer. This looks almost too good to be true.

Thoughts.

Here's the reply I made yesterday to your suggestion:

So, I went to the Larimer County Fairgrounds/The Ranch web site (http://www.co.larimer.co.us/theranch/) -- something that a lot of people here seem to have a hard time doing.

The Ranch has a ton of indoor space. No problems there!

There didn't seem to be any specifics about camping other that it says "limited RV hookups" and "ample dry camping", whatever that means. The site plan does show some RV space. But it was hard to tell how much camping space was available.

So, I went to Google maps... and using a ruler against my screen, estimated that the entire area is about 130 acres, which should be quite sufficient, if we can camp there.

But then, there was the first hitch. I switched to the "hybrid" mode, and this is what The Ranch looks like: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.444661,-104.987025&spn=0.01277,0.014334&t=h&z=16&om=1

Maybe they've done some landscaping, but the entire grounds appear to be dirt.

Then, I found this under the FAQs listing:
What type of catering is available?

All catering and concessions is done in-house through Ovations. No outside food vendors, beverage vendors, concessions or caterers allowed. For more information and details, call Ovations at 970-619-4055.

Do you allow alcohol?

In accordance with the rules and regulations of the State of Colorado, it is against the law for a tenant, exhibitor or patron to bring alcoholic beverages into the building for any purpose. All arrangements for alcoholic beverages must be made through The Ranch and Ovations.
This is a little iffy, they're talking about the various exhibition buildings here. Will it be possible for individuals to BYOB into the camping areas? I can't tell from the web site.

I certainly agree that having a rally on CO's front range would be really excellent, and I personally wouldn't care if I had to pay $8 more for the rally and $5 for Bud (which I wouldn't buy). If I wasn't allowed to BMOB onto the fairgrounds, I might be somewhat disgruntled, but it wouldn't keep me away. (Surely they'll never find that flask of Maker's in my gear pack! ;)) But I'm not ready to camp in the dirt....

Saludos y Buenos Dias,

Recuerdos,

That sounds great! I'm in. Even if they don't have a rally there, I'm in. We can just do it.

Here's the reply I made yesterday to your suggestion:

I think we need a local of check this out and determine how we can make it work. A lot of folks would volunteer to camp at other locations like Estes Park, so the camping is not a huge issue. The photos do show a ton of grass.

I would pass $5 a beer to be up against the rookies, riding Bike Thompson canyon and Poudre canyon.

Mexico

Saludos y Buenos Dias,

Recuerdos,

Hola amigo,

M?índeme por favor informaci??n acerca de la reuni??n de M?®xico.

Gracias,

Randy Kasal

Dear Randy and kenk: You are warmly welcomed to join AZ Beemers riding to Bahia Kino!

Dear Randy and kenk,

If your schedules will allow it, please consider joining AZ Beemers on our quarterly ride to Mexico. For the last 13 years, every 3 months like clockwork, I've been leading AZ Beemers on foreign adventures. Usually we ride to Mexico or Canada, but we went to the Alps in October of 2004; Andalucia, Spain in February of 2006; Alps again in May of 2007; and we're going to Barcelona, Spain in May-June of 2008 to ride the Pyrenees, Andorra, Costa Brava and Asturas.

I see that you both come from snow country, so you'd be welcome to bring your Beemers down on trailers and please feel free to park your rigs in my driveway.

I just have a two bedroom home, but you guys would be welcome to them, and I would sleep on the couch the night before and the night after this Mexico trip.

If you can spend a fifth day's riding on this trip, we would divert from the group on Mexico Route 15 at Santa Ana, go through Caborca, and spend the night in Rocky Point. I would like your honest opinions on Puerto Penasco for a rally site!

Sincerely yours, Don

"We AZ Beemers Ride to beautiful Bahia Kino; Sonora, Mexico; February 15-18, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senor Chuy Medina loves riding in Mexico with AZ Beemers amigos y amigas! I've just returned from a week's ride to Mexico's awesome Copper Canyon, Barrancas del Cobre, and I have already planned our next adventure South of the Border! Over February 15-18, 2008 - AZ Beemers will be riding to Bahia Kino in the Mexican State of Sonora; February 18th is the Martin Luther King Holiday.

We will be staying at the Hotel Posada del Mar, located across the road from the beach on beautiful grounds, walkways, swimming pools and covered patios. You can even park your bike in the hotel lobby. Phone is 624-2-01-55 and the Fax is 242-2-01-55.

Please check out Bahia Kino yourself by looking up: www.tourbymexico.com/sonora/kino/kino.htm or www.gotosonora.com/kino-bay-sonora.htm

Nice thing about riding to Bahia Kino is the ease of obtaining the new "Sonora Only Permit"; which requires only a fifteen minute stop in Nogales.

Do you need any more information on this trip? Please private message Senor Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" aka Don Stanley at beemerdons@aol.com or call me at mi casa at 480-917-3863."

BMWMOA Internation Rally in Mexico

Saludos y Buenos Dias,

Recuerdos,

Other than for the heat in July, I would love to attend a BMWMOA rally in Mexico.

Back